Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals becoming "Distracted"??  (Read 7292 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animals becoming "Distracted"??
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:36:01 am »

Got this one today:
http://imgur.com/XHA3PNy

I've tested this a little bit, and it /seems/ that animals become distracted when they are kept away from sentinent beings for a couple of years.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals becoming "Distracted"??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:56:37 am »

Ah, so that's why my turkeys are blinking yellow down arrows! I penned them in behind locked doors so their eggs wouldn't be harvested, giving them time to hatch.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:09:22 pm by thriggle »

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:06:24 pm »

No idea if distracted animals do anything worse then usual animals, however instead of blocking them off to hatch eggs you can forbid eggs on all of your food stockpiles (q -> select stockpile -> s -> remove eggs from list of items).
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 12:11:35 pm »

That's good advice, but this seemed like fewer keystrokes. I unlocked the door after the first poultsplosion and egg production/collection resumed without fanfare.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 01:56:29 pm »

You can also just forbid the eggs in the nest.  That is most useful if you have some non-fertile birds, since you can not forbid those eggs and have them still plucked.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 02:51:45 pm »

I've had distracted tamed giant cave swallows but they didn't seem to act any differently than anything else.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 12:50:58 am »

Huh I was wondering what was causing that. Are Dwarve's still afraid of gorlaks? I remember a few days ago one wandered through my whole fortress without anyone noticing. If it's a lack of contact with sentient beings that causes the problem maybe chaining one up next to them might help.

EDIT: Tried it out, ended in the crundles and large rats I had in that room becoming utterly terrified and sending my dwarves on a chase around the fortress to retrieve them. Did not cure their distractedness.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:09:44 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 09:08:52 am »

I guess you'll need to chain up an elf to keep them company.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 09:14:13 am »

Distractedness is a thing with the needs system, so it looks like the animals have some needs that aren't being fulfilled. Animal enrichment for your farms is needed, I guess?