Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunters and Intruders  (Read 805 times)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunters and Intruders
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:10:26 am »

It used to be that hunters would enthusiastically attack any invaders they encountered. This seems to have changed -- they now seem to respond to invaders like civilians and run away (I lost a legendary marksdwarf because he refused to fire at the two goblins chasing him. In .40, he'd have killed them both easily).

Makes sense, I guess -- the ability to hunt isn't the same as the discipline needed to shoot at something that shoots back. Which means I need to be a lot more deliberate in separating civillian hunters from military marksdwarves, since the former no longer fill in for the latter in a pinch.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters and Intruders
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:13:57 am »

I believe its based on their personality traits and if they have been hardened to battle.  I think you can harden a dwarf to the brutality of battle and get less of the fearful reactions and crying.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:09:45 pm »

I believe its based on their personality traits and if they have been hardened to battle.  I think you can harden a dwarf to the brutality of battle and get less of the fearful reactions and crying.

This seems to be extremely true.
In my most recent fort, I had 4 or 5 hunters.
Three of which were completely happy to run out and kill whatever they decided to (Even if it was an army of over a hundred goblins.)
Another Hunter would run out and kill what he wanted, but whenever he struck the killing blow, he would immediately become scared and run away.
The last Hunter was horribly frightened whenever anything got remotely close to him, except, for some reason, when he spotted goblins.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 12:16:33 pm »

On the other hand, I'm used to animals running away from invaders.

Yet when a goblin snatcher appeared outside my fort, I was shocked to see a stampede of reindeer, yaks, donkeys, and bunnies charge the hapless goblin and chase him off the map (with a handful of my dwarves frantically following behind with "pen/pasture animal" jobs active, trying to wrangle the beasts back to their pasture).

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 02:32:40 pm »

On the other hand, I'm used to animals running away from invaders.

Yet when a goblin snatcher appeared outside my fort, I was shocked to see a stampede of reindeer, yaks, donkeys, and bunnies charge the hapless goblin and chase him off the map (with a handful of my dwarves frantically following behind with "pen/pasture animal" jobs active, trying to wrangle the beasts back to their pasture).

That's hilarious!
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".