Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Children of Dwarves  (Read 768 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Children of Dwarves
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:05:46 am »

Since the most recent patch my dwarves are not having babies. At all. No children appear in migrant waves either. It is a world of aging adults and many, many ways to die without passing on your dwarfy genes.

Is this an issue for anyone else? I am beginning to suspect that this may be related to fixing the children-socializing-crash, seeing as how kids were everywhere pre-patch.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:13:53 am »

Huh. I do have children, but now that you mention it, I think they were all immigrants (and it's possible that they were all immigrants pre-patch, though I'm not certain). I don't recall seeing any birth announcements.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:14:08 am »

I've had births in my fort (0.42.02), from married migrants.  But now I'm at my (soft) population cap, so no more.

Did you possibly reach your own population cap?  (There's more than one.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:17:35 am »

I've had births in my fort (0.42.02), from married migrants.  But now I'm at my (soft) population cap, so no more.

Did you possibly reach your own population cap?  (There's more than one.)

Hmm, I do have a lot of bards loafing around in my tavern but I'm still getting adult migrants so I don't think that's it.

Edit - it could be that dwarves are too busy having entertainment forced into their eyes and ears that they aren't hooking up, now that I think about it.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:34:15 am »

I had more than a few births. I had about 4 in one season on one fort. Must just be chance. Having an older world might lead to more marriages in migrants. Even then you still need to have husband and wife both migrate. Maybe make a point of giving rest time so they have a chance to be within baby-making range. Dorfs don't reproduce by spores anymore so birth is less common than pre-40.01
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:40:43 am »

It could be a lack of free time if spores are out - or that they are spending all their free time on hoedowns and 24/7 poetry slams in the tavern/dining hall. The year is 248, so lots of dwarves have families. I'll experiment with letting them relax more.