Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prometheus Meat Farms  (Read 874 times)

Hyperion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prometheus Meat Farms
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:53:09 am »

I was wondering if there was any way to make a creature which can be continuously harvested over and over again for their meat, where it heals back and can be harvested again later, much like a lizard which regrows its tail.

I am really hoping to turn this into a magic spell which can turn your enemies into harmless walking/immobile meat farms.

I tried to create a being with a ceramic core and shearable layers of flesh on top of that, but instead I just got creatures made entirely of ceramic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure why that doesn't work, and if anyone can point out my error, I'd appreciate it.
I do have another idea which I have not tested, and that is to have a creature lay eggs made of meat, wood, stone, gold, etc.

I am however unsure how/if egg laying works with immobile creatures. If immobile versions cannot lay eggs, I would prefer them to be milkable for various liquids

Ultimately I would like to create enough variations on this creature that a whole fortress could be supplied with everything it needs in regards to food, drink, construction/crafting materials, medical supplies, etc. The variations would be spell based, and using the new knowledge system could be learned from various spellbooks.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Prometheus Meat Farms
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:29:13 am »

Obligatory what-does-the-errorlog-say? It helps alot when it comes to debugging.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Prometheus Meat Farms
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 11:32:29 am »

Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FLESH]
Here is your problem.  You are telling it to set all the tissue layers to flesh.
EDIT: Also, you haven't defined FLESH properly (unless you have a material template called HARROWFLESH in the raws), so the game is taking the first material in the creature that is properly defined; that is, the porcelain.  So it turns all tissue layers to porcelain instead.

What you probably want is this:

[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FLESH:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CORE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FLESH]

This will define the FLESH as being basically muscle, then tell the game to first add CORE to all body parts, then add FLESH on top of it.

Also take out these lines, they don't do anything:

[USE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:CERAMIC_PORCELAIN]

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]

[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FLESH:HARROWFLESH]
   [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:MUSCLE]   

You can probably shear the flesh off, but you won't be able to eat it without preparation, since sheared tissues turn into body part items, not meat.  However, if you add an automatic reaction to the farmer's workshop that takes body components made of the harrowed man flesh and then converts them into meat items of the same material, whoever shears the creature should produce edible meat immediately afterwards.

You can make creatures lay anything you want as eggs, any material or any item type all ready to use, but not if they are immobile.

Milking always produces a LIQUID_MISC item, which counts as food (if edible) and is otherwise useless by default.  If you want to turn that milk into something else with a reaction, though, no problem.[/code]