Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unkillable zombie heads and mercenaries  (Read 2241 times)

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unkillable zombie heads and mercenaries
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:23:11 am »

I made the mistake of releasing a necromancer in my arena. It raised a nearby goblin head. The head now seems to be completely immortal and engaged the entire fortress in battle while suffering no apparent ill effects. Fortunately it seems equally incapable of killing my dwarves, so I just deactivated the military and used burrows to order a retreat past my line of cage traps.

There's a complication-- my two human mercs refuse to disengage. They've just been sitting there banging the head against a wall for fifteen minutes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How can I get them out? I'd prefer them in one piece if possible, since they are now thoroughly legendary.

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unkillable zombie heads and mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:50:00 am »

I managed to take it out with a precision strike cavein. Interestingly, everyone who had previously been involved in the battle refused to drink or perform a job until the head was defeated, suggesting an obscure bug.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 06:56:59 am »

wait until you encounter zombie hairs...

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:10:47 am »

I managed to take it out with a precision strike cavein. Interestingly, everyone who had previously been involved in the battle refused to drink or perform a job until the head was defeated, suggesting an obscure bug.
"Can't sleep, head will eat me ... "
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Tygroux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 12:43:16 pm »

With the .40 mangling mechanics, wouldn't a fortress-wide collective punchfest would have eventually turned it into a red pulp?
That's what I usually do with big things(bulls, ogres, particularly annoying kobolds) that I manage to knock out before I get metal weapons.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 12:57:57 pm »

Only if you manage to hit it. With particularly small targets, attacks might either miss or "pass right through" doing no damage.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 02:48:44 pm »

If you have an unmodded game, it would be great if you could upload a fresh save to this bug:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5356

Zombies aren't working as intended because of the "attack passes right through" bug.
If you could backup the game, kill a hairy animal, then send axedwarves after it that would be great.
A fresh save would be nice.

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 04:17:48 pm »

If you have an unmodded game, it would be great if you could upload a fresh save to this bug:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5356

Zombies aren't working as intended because of the "attack passes right through" bug.
If you could backup the game, kill a hairy animal, then send axedwarves after it that would be great.
A fresh save would be nice.

I'm sure I remember unkillable zombies being fixed at some point. It's almost like this bug is ... an unkillable zombie bug

Save is up here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11448

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 08:07:22 pm »

It would be nice if the "attack passes through" bug was fixed. But the only zombie fix I saw was when Toady converted zombies from "hitpoint" based to "pulping based". If there is a fix, could you find the link.

In fact, I'm not sure my issue was "attack passes right through" or "dwarf hits the nose hair, but it glances away". It could be 2 separate bugs, glances away versus passes through an untargetable limb. Which bug are you experiencing?

I think I did have an unkillable rabbit husk, so maybe unkillable zombie is also possible. In my last fort, I had a husked rabbit, decontaminated it, openned the bridge and then sent an entire equipped militia of 30 dwarves at it. They just kept knocking it around. Of course, they would never de-aggro the thing until one of them got dehydrated. So dwarves would path to it, stick around it, then leave to drink.

I guess the one thing I recommend for zombie forts is to make constant backups, and savescum when necessary to avoid all the bugs, even the "entire dining hall paths to surface to collect 1 unforbidden sock" bug.

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:39:52 pm »

It would be nice if the "attack passes through" bug was fixed. But the only zombie fix I saw was when Toady converted zombies from "hitpoint" based to "pulping based". If there is a fix, could you find the link.

At one point they were immune to magma as well, which is probably what I was thinking of: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5511

In fact, I'm not sure my issue was "attack passes right through" or "dwarf hits the nose hair, but it glances away". It could be 2 separate bugs, glances away versus passes through an untargetable limb. Which bug are you experiencing?

It's not unhittable, though it is difficult to hit. Combat log sample:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least several hundred tendons have been torn. The skull appears to contain an infinite quantity of tendons.

I guess the one thing I recommend for zombie forts is to make constant backups, and savescum when necessary to avoid all the bugs, even the "entire dining hall paths to surface to collect 1 unforbidden sock" bug.

If you're next to a tower rather than in an evil biome, the threat is a bit more manageable. I usually just atom smash zombie sieges in their entirety