Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happened to sparring reports?  (Read 1992 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
What happened to sparring reports?
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:04:05 pm »

For some reason in my fort all sparring activites are colored yellow instead of cyan like in previous versions, and sparring reports, which I liked, no longer show up. In addition I'm not sure if these yellow sparring reports grant skill increases anymore as my dwarves have remained at the same skill level for roughly a year now whereas in 40.x they would have gotten far stronger.

Could someone help me decipher this issue?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:14:33 pm by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to sparring reports?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:13:58 pm »

I haven't even seen any sparring happen in my only fortress with a military. I'm waiting for the next version's armor fix before really going for one.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04:55 pm »

They're not actually Sparring, as far as I can tell. They're just standing next to eachother and saying that they're sparring.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 01:40:17 am »

The sparring reports are found in the combat reports ( press r ) , they're in blue instead of the red of the real fights.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:19:28 am by Robsoie »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 02:51:01 am »

I noticed this too, I don't think they're actually sparring.

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 03:01:28 am »

The only thing I can think of is that the selected sparring partner is doing something else than showing up to spar. All the temples, the library and the tavern at my fort have been enticing my mercs a lot more than the barracks these days, so sparring isn't as common as on the last version, but it did eventually start happening.

Took my soldiers a year or more though after the barracks were set up, they still did show up for individual training and teaching sessions though.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 06:21:24 am »

Maybe it's the same issue that was plaguing temples in the previous release?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:47:08 am »

I also believe this is a frequency issue. In 40.24, my dwarves would be constantly sparring, but now it is a much rarer occurrence. Looking at the battle logs, the dwarves are actually sparring
Spoiler: Spar report (click to show/hide)
but only 2 entries on the 13 pages of combat logs are sparring.
My military is 16 units, and I've gotten them all equipped with weapons(though some are still listed as wrestlers), so I assume it isn't a lack of partners.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Burts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 07:20:00 am »

If dwarfs do spar less, that's great.

Training was horrenduosly overpowered in 40.24. You could get legendary fighters in 1-2 years of training, making any kind of enemies ranging from goblins to forgotten beasts completely trivial. They couldn't even touch your dwarves.

Legendary weaponmasters should do legendary feats in battle to achieve their skills, not train 1-2 years and become unkillable.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:36:39 am »

If dwarfs do spar less, that's great.

Training was horrenduosly overpowered in 40.24. You could get legendary fighters in 1-2 years of training, making any kind of enemies ranging from goblins to forgotten beasts completely trivial. They couldn't even touch your dwarves.

Legendary weaponmasters should do legendary feats in battle to achieve their skills, not train 1-2 years and become unkillable.
I'm tempted to adjust the skill rate of just about all my dwarves. Legendary skills should be truly legendary. Might even turn off artifacts to further my aims.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 01:16:28 pm »

I think the game should have a cap on the skills level a soldier can acquire by only training.
The higher levels of skills and legendary status should -only- be acquired from actual battle prowesses.

Getting a skilled weapondwarf becoming a legendary weapondwarf in only 2 years of basic training without having seen a battle a single time during his life isn't really great.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 01:21:36 pm »

I think the game should have a cap on the skills level a soldier can acquire by only training.
The higher levels of skills and legendary status should -only- be acquired from actual battle prowesses.

Getting a skilled weapondwarf becoming a legendary weapondwarf in only 2 years of basic training without having seen a battle a single time during his life isn't really great.

Quote from: Urist McWarrior
I have received a -Yellow Belt-. That was satisfying!
The Recruit scratches the Goblin Lasher in the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Goblin Lasher has been knocked unconscious!
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.