Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Book Thread  (Read 6783 times)

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Book Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 11:09:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My chief medical dwarf wrote an essay about himself. "The writing is stunningly self-indulgent."

paleohayduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 01:19:17 am »

Combustion might help :)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 02:56:53 am »

My new favorite book is "Good" only because when I tried to pick it up in adventure mode the prompt was "Get Good." 

rico196534

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 02:57:57 pm »

The part about "artfully indulging the author's fancies" makes me think the first ever furry creation was made in my fortress :o

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 03:10:57 pm »

I found another one.

Cheerful book about dealing with traumatic injuries. The icing on the cake is that the author tried to make it funny, and failed.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 03:30:11 pm »

I wonder who wrote that trauma book, making humour in inappropriate situations.

Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 03:39:13 pm »

Multi-chaptered books are a thing:

This is a microline-bound codex.
The written portion consists of a 242 page chronicle entitled The Book of the Dwarves, authored by Mafol Scholarboard. It concerns The Pure Bodices. Overall, the information is not compiled very well. The work has three chapters. The first chapter covers the rise of the sasquatch Kanzud Blinddrills the Helpful Beast-Shade as an ememy of The Pure Bodices in the early autumn of 115. The second chapter covers the devouring of a alpaca of The Pure Bodices by the sasquatch Kanzud Blinddrills the Helpful Beast-Shade in Driveroofs in the early autumn of 115. The third chapter covers the election of the dwarf Lorbam Helmedcrow to the position of mayor of The Pure Bodices in 212.

(note on dates: My worldgen ended in 250)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 03:47:26 pm »

Using legends to track down necromancer books is pretty entertaining.

Death
New Death
More Death
Useful Death
Start your day with death
Maybe Death Will Help
First Death, then the world

The Eternal Dwarf: A 166 Page autobiography of an unknown creature. Apparently it left out some significant details.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:54:09 pm by Broseph Stalin »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 04:09:06 pm »

Oh my.

This is a finely-crafted pig tail scroll. It is made from pig tail cloth. The rollers are made from cassiterite. The rollers are made from exceptionally worked dolomite.

Written on the item is a manual entities Unknown Healing, authored by Lolor Domainpaddle. It concerns medical ethics. The writing is quite cruel. Overall, the prose is passable.

Edit: And at the opposite end of the personality spectrum (or so it would seem), we have:

This is a cryolite-bound codex.
The written portion consists of a 23 page essay entitled Common Sense Sasquatches, authored by Tosid Entrypainted. It concerns the sasquach "Lateoils the Tactics of Abatement"'s attack on the dwarf Tosid Entrypainted. The writing is clear evidence of a compassionate being. Overal, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

So, we've got one guy writing a cruel book about medical ethics, and another writing a compassionate book about the sasquatch that attacked him.

Edited again: Is there a way to kick someone out after having granted them long-term residency? The Lolar Domainpaddle guy from above has written several medical books, including one on "the surgical method of probing", all of them with writing that is "quite cruel". He's not even a doctor (thank Armok), he's a chemist. So why does he write so many cruel books about invasive surgical procedures?

Edited again: this same chemist also has several books on engineering with writing that is 'quite cruel'. Who is this guy, jigsaw?

Edited again: the Cruel Chemist does have at least one book on chemistry. It's a book about acids and alkalies, and the writing is "as vicious as can be".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:07:37 pm by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 04:38:12 pm »

and another writing a compassionate book about the sasquatch that attacked him.

Sounds like Stockholm-Syndrome.

The Eternal Dwarf: A 166 Page autobiography of an unknown creature. Apparently it left out some significant details.

This rings some connotation to the real world.
I guess, it was written by an elf...

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 07:11:40 pm »

Edited again: Is there a way to kick someone out after having granted them long-term residency? The Lolar Domainpaddle guy from above has written several medical books, including one on "the surgical method of probing", all of them with writing that is "quite cruel". He's not even a doctor (thank Armok), he's a chemist. So why does he write so many cruel books about invasive surgical procedures?

Edited again: this same chemist also has several books on engineering with writing that is 'quite cruel'. Who is this guy, jigsaw?

Edited again: the Cruel Chemist does have at least one book on chemistry. It's a book about acids and alkalies, and the writing is "as vicious as can be".

Many edits later...

Have you looked at the personality of the guy? Sadists tent to write books in that... fashion. Books are supposed to represent the ethics of the author I think. As far as i'm aware, if he's a permanent resident the only way to "remove" him would be to arrange an unfortunate accident. Make it as painful as possible, he'll die happy.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 09:52:54 pm »

Circles and Nothing More

A masterful poem written about nothing in particular, by Ur Circleboard.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 10:08:58 pm »

Plot twist! Your chemist isn't normally sadistic, but is trying to brown nose himself into the overseer's graces. He just doesn't know how you run a fort.

How am I supposed to make books? I have two scribes, a library, sheets of paper, scroll rollers, and I've attached the sheets to the scroll rollers. One of my scholars has written a book, but I don't know how that actually went down. Am I supposed to let sheets be written on first or what?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 11:52:07 pm »

writing a compassionate book about the sasquatch that attacked him.

Urist "Steve" Irving
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 11:53:20 pm »

Plot twist! Your chemist isn't normally sadistic, but is trying to brown nose himself into the overseer's graces. He just doesn't know how you run a fort.

How am I supposed to make books? I have two scribes, a library, sheets of paper, scroll rollers, and I've attached the sheets to the scroll rollers. One of my scholars has written a book, but I don't know how that actually went down. Am I supposed to let sheets be written on first or what?
Press L (As in shift-L) to check your artefacts and writing. I don't think scrolls need furter processing.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?
Pages: 1 [2] 3