Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring oddness?  (Read 909 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring oddness?
« on: December 09, 2015, 07:22:34 am »

In the new version, two of my militia have their activities reported as "Spar."  However, there are no sparring reports and they are just standing in the barracks.  Anyone seen this?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring oddness?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:32:48 am »

Dunno. But something has definitely changed WRT sparring behavior.

I did notice in .40 and prior I could build military skill in fresh recruits without triggering unhappy thoughts about the draft. If I assigned them initially to an always-inactive squad, and gave that squad a place to train, they would spar constantly (but never complain, since they were inactive). By the time I switched them to a normal active military schedule, they had enough military experience that they didn't complain about it.

That doesn't work in this version. I never see anyone sparring, putting 10 dwarfs in an inactive squad is no different than not putting them in the military at all.

Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 06:10:11 pm »

People reported their skills still raise, despite no combat reports. It could be a bug and probably has been reported by now.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:10:34 pm »

I've noticed this too. Sparring activity is now yellow instead of cyan, sparring doesn't seem to grant any skill increases. My dwarves have been in active training for a year now and their skill level hasn't gone up one bit.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:14:59 pm by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:09:34 am »

I've noticed this too. Sparring activity is now yellow instead of cyan, sparring doesn't seem to grant any skill increases. My dwarves have been in active training for a year now and their skill level hasn't gone up one bit.
IIRC, yellow is the color of a need being filled on break. Maybe Toady integrated the activity into the needs system, but failed to carry over the skill gain?

Or the need isn't properly branching into activities like the issue with Worship/Worship! in the first release.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:20:18 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?