Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing Something For Long Term Residents?  (Read 5596 times)

arokslayer

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dwarf Conservationist
    • View Profile
Missing Something For Long Term Residents?
« on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:16 am »

Hey, so I am a little confused with the new update, concerning the long term residents.  I have quite a few piled up over the last three years of in game time wanting to work in my fortress, however, I have never seen a petition for any of them come up.  I have about 100 dwarves, with a fully functioning mayor and tavern.  Am I missing something to prompt the visitors to ask for residence?

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Something For Long Term Residents?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 03:20:33 am »

I have had petitions. It's a fort with 70 dwarves, and the first petition came about year 2½.
It has a tavern, a library and a temple.

The petition was announced with a message at the very top of the screen asking me tp press capital 'P', and that opened the dialoge about getting residence.
So my 2 cents is:
1: Try to press 'P', - if you have idlers displayed it could be that the message doesn't show.
2: Try to have all 3 locations active? I doubt it is it, but there was a correlation between getting the first petition and activating the temple for me.
3: ?? My fort is nice and 'rich', i.e. we have lots of booze and food, large (3x4) rooms for all.
4: (Of cause, - being the seat of the king might help. The former king must have died out in the world, as two immigrant suddenly turned out to be king and consort.)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 03:29:00 am »

Have you supplied them with satisfactory quality rooms assigned to the tavern as inn rooms using (l) designation on the bedrooms? (they will live in those quarters) other suggestible actions would be to outfit the rooms with storage holding items.

arokslayer

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dwarf Conservationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 03:37:40 am »

We are supplied with very high quality rooms, and there are 20 tavern rooms available.  All of the areas are active as well.  I guess I will keep waiting to see what happens. 

LoneAccident of Axes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:43:14 am »

I've had petitions from scholars with just a library. I suspect it's just time, it happened 3ish years in for me.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 06:52:42 am »

I've also gotten several petitioners -- three or four bards, one soldier, and a couple of scholars.

I have the tavern, temples (one for each diety, plus a 'general' temple not dedicated to a diety), and library. Bedrooms are just 1x1, except for the mayor, so that doesn't seem to be a factor. Also, I don't even have a baron at this point. The fortress does have a good bit of generated wealth.

• I've got tables, chairs, rooms, and a tavern keeper in the tavern.
  • The temples so far are just empty rooms. This is probably why I haven't gotten any petitions from sages, though they still visit.
  • The library has lots of bookcases, lots of tables, and I try to keep it stocked with quires and scrolls. It seems to always be packed.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 07:42:53 am »

I got 3 petitions so far in a year old fort. Are you sure those room are listed as part of the tavern in the location screen (l) ? If all else fails try checking the petitions window (P) at random just to be sure, since the petition notification dose show up in an unusual spot.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 07:50:09 am »

I received a ton of human petitions in my first 42.01 fort, which had no rooms for rent (I hadn't figured that part out yet). And that was in my first year, with no stone or metal, so I don't think it's related to wealth.

If anything, it was proximity to a human town (and maybe a tower).

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 10:29:55 am »

I received a ton of human petitions in my first 42.01 fort, which had no rooms for rent (I hadn't figured that part out yet). And that was in my first year, with no stone or metal, so I don't think it's related to wealth.

If anything, it was proximity to a human town (and maybe a tower).
Hmmmm.... I've got a necromancer tower with a dozen necromancers in it that seem to just sit around and write books all day. I might have to build a fort immediately next door and see what happens.  (Whether the answer is "epic undead siege" or scholarly debates about necromancy, or historians getting first-hand accounts from folks that have been alive since year 1, should be interesting!)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:56:45 am »

This sounds like the start of a beautiful !!SCIENCE!! experiment!

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 11:30:25 am »

Sounds like many copies of necromancer books, and many dwarves reading them in their spare time, to me.

arokslayer

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dwarf Conservationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 08:19:50 pm »

So, I started getting petitions.  Strangely, it was after a Marsh Titan rampaged through my fort, and killing 30 dwarves, including my mayor and his 3 replacements.  As soon as it had died down, the petitions started rolling in.  So, it looks like I had a xenophobic mayor...

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 09:22:28 pm »

I'm not sure, but I believe petitioners require a meeting with the mayor. It could have been your mayor was too busy to talk with anyone.

Rustydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 07:21:16 am »

Hey, so I am a little confused with the new update, concerning the long term residents.  I have quite a few piled up over the last three years of in game time wanting to work in my fortress, however, I have never seen a petition for any of them come up.  I have about 100 dwarves, with a fully functioning mayor and tavern.  Am I missing something to prompt the visitors to ask for residence?
I'm not sure, but I believe petitioners require a meeting with the mayor. It could have been your mayor was too busy to talk with anyone.
Yes, a petition will come up with a notification at the top centre of the screen, where the words "dwarf fortress" are. It flashes between this and "P: Petition". It won't come up with a notification under (a)nnouncements , but if there is a meeting being held being the mayor (or whatever the highest rank of noble is) and the guest wishing to become a citizen under the (u)nits screen.

Also if you use (v)iew to look at the indivdual guest under (g)eneral it should show their intention for viisting after they've made contact with a regular citizen of your fort. I'm not sure if all of the prior observations I've made is universal between Taverns/Inns, Temples and Libraries (As I've only built Taverns as of yet), but I would assume so. I haven't really done any actual !!SCIENCE!! on this, again just my observations.

I'm happy if anything I've shared is useful. But if anyone has more questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.