Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: ICE (closed by author)  (Read 7346 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: ICE
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2015, 12:25:21 am »

If a moderator wants to clear that up, one way or the other I will respect that.
Just don't be upset with the result whichever way it goes. If they decide to let it go, all right. If they decide to lock the thread, all right. If they decide to lock the thread and ban you, less all right, but still all right.
Technically, Uber and Lyft were illegal in many places they started, such as Seattle. The government decided not to pursue action and monitor the situation.
And that MIGHT happen here, but you know Uber is currently engaged in at least 173 lawsuits right now, right? Lawsuits are expensive, you know... But at least the worst that can happen to you is being banned from using this site, rather than lawsuits.
I am not selling anything unrelated specifically to Forum Games themselves.
And that's what we're against.
There's two kinds of soliciting. Posting to specifically advertise a product (like the kitchen-bots), and what you're doing: Forcing us to pay to use part of the forum, which is (pardon my strong language) bullshit. If you had a link in your signature and it was completely optional and didn't give anything, like say... your idol Piecewise does, then it would be perfectly OK, but you're selling additional lives in a permadeath forum game, forcing us to pay through the nose whenever we die.

I received attacks on the quality of this game, on my others games, and many individuals have made it clear this is not something they would pay for. That's fine. But you haven't played this game. Which I offer in its entirety for free. And if you like it, yes I have a one time fee I offer for you to choose to pay, after already showing you first hand my entire product. I'm not tricking one, I cannot, you know exactly what you are getting.
Attacks? OK, some person might have genuinely attacked the quality of something, but for the most part these have been critisisms; improve upon the parts we're talking about (like the quality, your ability to hang around as a GM and not drop games, etc) and it will improve not only our attitudes but everyone's enjoyment.

Yeah, we haven't tried the game, because none of us like the idea of my next point.

You don't actually offer the game in it's entirety for free, because that's a lie. You're blocking a large portion of the game (AKA everything after your first death) behind a paywall.

Some people feel the are performing a service, an ethical service by belittling and removing if possible, what I am trying to do, so others don't even have the ability to choose.

I strongly believe in this art form, I believe those that participate will enjoy it fully and have a clear mind as to the integrity of my offer.
Look, we're not belittling you. We're trying to tell you which parts we don't like so that you can fix those and improve what you are trying to do. And since your game actually breaks the forum guidelines, we're trying to get you to stop and fix that before drastic action has to be taken and your stuff must be removed. And if you still refuse to cease and desist your behavior with the paywall, then we will be responsible for the fallout, yes.

We can't know if we'll enjoy it fully if we're always trying to avoid having to pay to continue.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2015, 12:36:12 am »

Look, I'll put it to you simple: Nobody wants to pay for something they could otherwise get for free. Regardless of forum rules about the matter, there is a big difference between completely optional support and saying "FREE UNTIL YOUR FIRST DEATH" or "PAY TO RESPAWN"

And quite frankly, if I took your game, removed the paywall and posted it here, I would most likely get a better reception than you have gotten here.

Last of all, asking for money for an otherwise service is shitty. What you are doing here is on the same level as microtransactions. And those are shitty.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2015, 01:13:36 am »

And quite frankly, if I took your game, removed the paywall and posted it here, I would most likely get a better reception than you have gotten here.
Go for it. You have my blessing.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2015, 02:50:37 am »

Go for it. You have my blessing.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154464.0
Here we go. Same game, no paywall, slightly modified rules
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2015, 02:54:48 am »

I look forward to it.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04:46 am »

take my money
thincake

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2015, 12:36:43 pm »

Try my game for free first

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2015, 03:02:58 pm »

I think that was a sarcasm.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2015, 05:37:04 pm »

Well, I run a Forum Game and I have a Patreon, so I suppose there's nothing inherently wrong with what he's doing here. Admittedly my pateron isn't mandatory after one death.

I dunno. It's not something I would do but there are places like the Something Awful forums which charge you 5 bucks or something similar just to sign up, so I suppose it's not unheard of.

As it is though, I think GBB really needs to show a heck of a lot of effort and work put into this game to make it clear that those 5 bucks are worth while.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2015, 05:43:39 pm »

I think the idea of a freemium forum game seems silly and appears to be in violation of forum guidelines, but I agree with piecewise that if perhaps your game is just that good then maybe it'll work out, although your apparent track record seems to be working against you. But I don't think it's going to have an awful lot of appeal here.

You say you've successfully run it elsewhere; can you provide us with links to this elsewhere? I'm a bit curious.
I don't mean to be rude, I just find this whole thing very funny. Which I guess is kinda rude. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the gold medal went to one guy who wanted to unite all games under his Nexus and forcibly remove from the Internet anyone who didn't comply. He also called Toady a terrorist. Unfortunately the thread was nuked so no records remain.
Ah, I remember that! That was great. Guy's a total loony or the funniest troll ever.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2015, 02:54:44 am »

I think the idea of a freemium forum game seems silly and appears to be in violation of forum guidelines, but I agree with piecewise that if perhaps your game is just that good then maybe it'll work out, although your apparent track record seems to be working against you. But I don't think it's going to have an awful lot of appeal here.

You say you've successfully run it elsewhere; can you provide us with links to this elsewhere? I'm a bit curious.
I don't mean to be rude, I just find this whole thing very funny. Which I guess is kinda rude. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the gold medal went to one guy who wanted to unite all games under his Nexus and forcibly remove from the Internet anyone who didn't comply. He also called Toady a terrorist. Unfortunately the thread was nuked so no records remain.
Ah, I remember that! That was great. Guy's a total loony or the funniest troll ever.

Sure. The first time was on a forum that doesn't archive, it lasted 56 turns. Then I hosted my second session at vgf.com, link >here< where I ran a more hardcore version.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2015, 02:13:56 pm »

While I don't care at all about how many don't want to play, I do consider how few do.

Here is my revised membership.

You can play the game for free, and may do so indefinitely.
For a $5 membership fee you will gain access to:
>Priority to Play
>Earn Achievements
>Earn Ranks

I will also offer discounts in exchange for various tasks, of which can be done to reduce membership to $0.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2015, 02:24:07 pm »

Just stop Gameboyblue. nobody cares. they're going to pick a free game over one of the same quality that has to be paid for.
this thread has already run it's course, and is just waiting to die/be locked.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2015, 03:55:52 pm »

This thread is gold.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2015, 05:07:00 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5