Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: ICE (closed by author)  (Read 7342 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: ICE
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2015, 07:45:10 pm »

* Orange Wizard dies of laughter.

This thread is too funny. I love it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 08:09:29 pm »

EA make always online forum games now pls

If this is an elaborate hoax to drive interest for the forum game, I must say it's working
Otherwise? Lel

*EDIT
I like the finality of death in the rules, but it's somewhat shortcutted by the pay to play thing
It's like if in Dwarf Fortress you could pay $5 to undo calamity to your Fortress. Why would you do that? D:
*EDITx2
You know what I'll give it a shot if you permit; I like paranoia permadeath
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:13:37 pm by Loud Whispers »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 08:13:16 pm »

* Orange Wizard dies of laughter.

This thread is too funny. I love it.
10/10 would pay $5 to watch this thread again.

Seriously though, a lot of people are getting real salty about GBB trying to monetize this game, and I think that if you think it's a bad idea, there's no need to debate the point: either you're right and waiting a few days will prove you're right, or you're wrong and you'll be proven wrong when it works. If you're trying to help GBB by telling him not to waste his time, that's nice of you, but from the tone of many of these posts, people are just super salty and I dunno why.

Go for it, GBB! I'm not going to play, but best of luck finding yourself some players!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 09:32:39 pm »

Trying to monetize a thoroughly mediocre Mafia-lite forum game in a board full of real Mafia and other forum games?

Man, I'm honestly impressed that you even think that you're going to have enough people who care about this that they'd pay real money to stay in. Most games of this quality die because nobody, including the person running it, can be arsed to keep up with it.

But, uh. I'm actually a Nigerian prince, and I'll gladly pay you to let me return to this game. Just send me your bank account details so that I can deposit the funds directly into your account. :^)

And also, from the forum ToS:
solicitations are also forbidden on this forum
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:35:07 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2015, 09:35:50 pm »

Plus I have some certainty that this sort of thing- really-not a good idea- someone should call the Great Toad.
Toad called.

Solicitations are not permited according to the forum guidelines, as mentioned in this quote from the WTF thread.
Quote from: Forum Guidelines
...solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.
Quote from: Wikipedia
In criminal law, solicitation is the act of offering, or attempting to purchase, goods or services. Legal status may be specific to the time or place where occurs.
Well then.
I can confirm that it is a direct quote of The Guidelines, second paragraph after the two dashes, near the end of the paragraph.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 09:44:55 pm »

I am not even setting a precedent or anything. Check out piecewise's patreon, of which I have been a supporter months.
Pshaw. That doesn't go towards his forum games; he's perfectly allowed to advertise his other stuff, like his forum games, on his Patreon, of course, which he does, but look at what you get for paying him: A bullet with a curse word engraved, a random generator special made for you, or something random that has nothing to do with Bay12.

You're actually saying, outright, "Have a free sample, but any more and you gots to pay," whereas he's saying "I do this, it's free to enjoy, and if you'd like to pay something for it you can but you don't have to".
The Cyan Menace

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2015, 09:58:47 pm »

If a moderator wants to clear that up, one way or the other I will respect that.

Technically, Uber and Lyft were illegal in many places they started, such as Seattle. The government decided not to pursue action and monitor the situation.

I am not selling anything unrelated specifically to Forum Games themselves.

I received attacks on the quality of this game, on my others games, and many individuals have made it clear this is not something they would pay for. That's fine. But you haven't played this game. Which I offer in its entirety for free. And if you like it, yes I have a one time fee I offer for you to choose to pay, after already showing you first hand my entire product. I'm not tricking one, I cannot, you know exactly what you are getting.

Some people feel the are performing a service, an ethical service by belittling and removing if possible, what I am trying to do, so others don't even have the ability to choose.

I strongly believe in this art form, I believe those that participate will enjoy it fully and have a clear mind as to the integrity of my offer.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2015, 10:07:46 pm »

You know I think it's commendable you've kept your cool and stuck to your guns. Is this an art form? Personally, I find art is shit nowadays, hence why beauty can only be found where art is not ^_^

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

Is appropriate here

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2015, 10:19:39 pm »

I will assume the passage on solicitation applies to outside things, where as this in-forum offer is more of a precedent.

As a patreon supporter, I would not like to see this book thumping result in a negative consequence for those forum game hosts that do accept and link to those things.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2015, 10:32:21 pm »

* Orange Wizard stifles laughter.

Okay, this thread. Asking money for a forum game is pretty darn funny. I mean, sure, you're welcome to charge whatever for whatever (assuming Toady gives the okay), such is the free market. But at the same time, you're charging money for a forum game.
And that's hilarious.

* Orange Wizard bestows upon GameBoyBlue the FG&RP Silver Medal for Untenable Game Ideas.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2015, 10:54:31 pm »

* Orange Wizard stifles laughter.

Okay, this thread. Asking money for a forum game is pretty darn funny. I mean, sure, you're welcome to charge whatever for whatever (assuming Toady gives the okay), such is the free market. But at the same time, you're charging money for a forum game.
And that's hilarious.

* Orange Wizard bestows upon GameBoyBlue the FG&RP Silver Medal for Untenable Game Ideas.
First, off, that's a bit rude.

Second off, what has the gold medal?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 11:08:44 pm »

I don't mean to be rude, I just find this whole thing very funny. Which I guess is kinda rude. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the gold medal went to one guy who wanted to unite all games under his Nexus and forcibly remove from the Internet anyone who didn't comply. He also called Toady a terrorist. Unfortunately the thread was nuked so no records remain.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2015, 11:10:30 pm »

... Whoa.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2015, 11:12:36 pm »

I will however be vague on some things intentionally. Why don't you sign up and give this a try, then tell me what is missing as a player. I assume you are curious about the rules because you are actually interested in the game?
Unfortunately, I do not believe I am interested in doing such.  To be perfectly honest, the fact that you are requesting money does sit rather poorly with me as well, and I thus have little desire to playing even with what is effectively a one-time free demo, not when I have no intention to carry on.  I simply did not bring it up immediately while critiquing the rules because a surfeit of other people already have, and there was little need to belabour the point.  There is also the fact that I tend to do rather poorly at Werewolf games and see little reason why this trend would not continue for this sample ruleset, and am now also slightly concerned by "intentional vagueness" as a design feature, but those are rather secondary. 

That said, I believe it is important to note regarding solicitations that the forum guidelines themselves do not make any specification regarding whether the solicitation is "unrelated specifically to Forum Games" or not; that is, they ban all such solicitations regardless of their absence or, in this thread's case, presence on these forums.  You may certainly assume as you wish, but I must warn that your assumption does not seem to have any bearing on the actual text of the rules, and thus suggest you not get your hopes too far up regarding skating out from under them. 

Anyway, the gold medal went to one guy who wanted to unite all games under his Nexus and forcibly remove from the Internet anyone who didn't comply. He also called Toady a terrorist. Unfortunately the thread was nuked so no records remain.
Ooh, I think I remember the aftermath from that one, though I never bothered looking at his proposal before it turned into Ground Zero for the Thermonuclear Banhammer.  Wasn't he the one who bounced around different forums with the exact same proposal? 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:14:10 pm by Culise »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 12:05:34 am »

Maybe if it was a 2 month waiting period, or even 6 months if you really felt it was necessary, to get back in instead of a $5 charge, you wouldn't be getting these criticisms.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5