Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: ICE (closed by author)  (Read 7344 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: ICE
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 10:20:44 am »

And piecewise has an entire subforum dedicated to one of his games, whereas you have this. Even if the precedent has been set to have a patreon for this sort of thing, I don't see any reason why someone would want to put money into yours to play the game. If you showed the same skills and reliability as him then I'm certain that people would be lining up to throw money your way. But until then? Do your best to build up a resume to show that you can do this and are worthy of investing in. Because until then people aren't going to pay for anything, as everyone else has been saying for a while now.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 01:49:39 pm »

Have you considered learning programming? It would be pretty easy (translation: it would be trivial, probably only taking a couple days at most) to take these rules and put them into a form that would suit your purposes better.
And with programming, no one judges you too hard when you try and charge money for it. :P

Except when someone puts their half-baked project on Kickstarter or something. Absolutely shameful, I say.

There are better forum games on this site, that are free.

...This should not require a rebuttal of any sort, as you have just summed up a major point against this endeavor.

You have a community of people who are happily running a wide variety of fun forum games. In this environment, your game is not worth five dollars, no matter how good it may be.

I am not even setting a precedent or anything. Check out piecewise's patreon, of which I have been a supporter months.

Piecewise is the exception to the general rule. He's prolific enough to warrant an entire subforum and people seem to really like his stuff, judging by the post count.

if you don't know me that's not my problem.

Actually, it is your problem. You're attempting to market your wares to a fairly tightly-knit community - getting people to trust you and your skills should have been your primary goal before ever mentioning money.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 01:51:44 pm »

Can't the Thing win by never killing anyone and keeping his disguise up? If it escapes before the last normal human, it wins.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 03:23:51 pm »

snip

Thanks for the business advice Araph, as I stated, perhaps after you began writing your reply but I will now reiterate for you, I am not interested in receiving any such advice any further here, and that is not the topic of this thread.

Can't the Thing win by never killing anyone and keeping his disguise up? If it escapes before the last normal human, it wins.

Absolutely. It's happened before.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 03:56:14 pm »

If you really want to stick it me, play my game. Its free for the first play, tell people how bland it is. I'd love that.
Sure. Consider this my application.

Blue, I guess?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 01:21:47 am »

So... the Thing has a (players-1)/(players) chance of winning a game when it keeps its head low? Why would it ever try to kill someone?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 01:56:00 am »

So... the Thing has a (players-1)/(players) chance of winning a game when it keeps its head low? Why would it ever try to kill someone?

Great question. The more players alive, the more likely you are to be identified. The Thing is rewarded for kills with strength increases, and will be extremely vulnerable as a pacifist.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 11:09:06 am »

Great question. The more players alive, the more likely you are to be identified. The Thing is rewarded for kills with strength increases, and will be extremely vulnerable as a pacifist.
How do they identify you, though? If you don't kill anyone, there isn't any evidence of your treachery, so the only way that the normal people can detect you is if they start randomly shooting each other.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 02:06:40 pm »

I scrolled over your account and I see that you had only one game that lasted more than a month. That is bad. My level bad. You have the enthusiasm, but not the stamina to run a game for prolonged periods. It occurs to me that the idea of paid GMing was shot down by the forumites many times, and I stand with them. I would rather not pay $5 for a game that might last less than a month by forum game standards.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 02:07:05 pm »

How do they identify you, though? If you don't kill anyone, there isn't any evidence of your treachery, so the only way that the normal people can detect you is if they start randomly shooting each other.
There's also a distinct lack of reason for conflict in the win conditions.  The thing wins if it escapes.  The marines win if they escape.  Logically, therefore, if everyone escapes, everyone wins.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 04:53:07 pm »

You are an imperfect mimic. There will be a small variety of methods, which I may adjust between session(or not). The Thing itself, its weaknesses and abilities can also be subject to these changes to keep play fresh.

...I would rather not pay $5 for a game that might last less than a month by forum game standards.
That's fine.

There's also a distinct lack of reason for conflict in the win conditions.  The thing wins if it escapes.  The marines win if they escape.  Logically, therefore, if everyone escapes, everyone wins.
No. If The Thing escapes it's the worst possible scenario for the marines.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 05:16:06 pm »

So... the marines lose unless they can indefinitely restrain an immortal being?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 05:20:43 pm »

That seems like it would be something worth putting in the rules, along with something regarding ATHATH's concern as well. 

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 07:02:19 pm »

So... the marines lose unless they can indefinitely restrain an immortal being?
No, if all living marines make it off the planet, it's over.

That seems like it would be something worth putting in the rules, along with something regarding ATHATH's concern as well.
Absolutely. I had the same idea.

I will however be vague on some things intentionally. Why don't you sign up and give this a try, then tell me what is missing as a player. I assume you are curious about the rules because you are actually interested in the game?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 07:23:33 pm »

I would have been interested, and then you started talking money.

There is a difference between Piecewise, or any other person (Japa I think, but there are other people with Patreons in their sigs) going "You can give me money if you want" and outright charging for content in a forum game like you're trying to do.

So thanks, but no thanks. 

Make it an actual video game.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5