Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: ICE (closed by author)  (Read 7351 times)

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
ICE (closed by author)
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:44:52 pm »

_____ . . . . . .
/ ___ \___ . . . .
/ / A \___ \___ . . .
\ \___/▴E▴\___ \ . .
/ /▴B▴\___/ H \ \ . .
\ \___/[F]\___/ /__ .
/ /▴C▴\___/ I \___ \
\ \___/▴G▴\___/ K \ \
/ /[D]\___/ _ \___/ /
\ \___/ ___/ \_____/
\_____/ . . . . . .

[Audio Scan]

No response... Activating Marines...

1) One player is randomly THE THING.
You will find out at the same time as everyone else if you are or are not the thing.
2) Do not copy paste this or ANY information I PM you.
3) If the thing is killed, it will come back to life. If a normal player is killed, they are eliminated for good.
4) Do not communicate with players about the game if you are eliminated. DO NOT communicate with players about the game if you are eliminated. No last words, just silence.
5) As you explore the map, every turn you will choose where to move, and PM it to me. Within a turn you can change areas, and or pass through one door.
6) The goal for normal players is to escape.
7) The goal for the thing is to kill everyone or escape, causing all marines to lose.
8) You will be assigned a rank based on how many times you've played, if you have obtained amnesty and earned medals. Leadership will go to highest rank, and in the event of death automatically go to next highest rank.
9) Disobeying a platoon commander or committing unprovoked or unjustifiable murder may result in an addition to your sentence, or removal of some medals.
10) Join by choosing your body armour, do not pick one already taken. You can call dibs on a color that is currently locked.

Welcome Bay12 to ICE: A coop tactical thriller. Throw yourself into the role of a marine, awakened from cryosleep when a routine visit to a science outpost goes wrong. Not everything is as it seems, and now your platoon must endeavor to escape before a mimicing horror beats you to it. Can you find out who to trust before it's too late?

I once called this a "mini mafia", but the opposite is true. This takes on average 50 turns. Albiet they can proceed more quickly as after all players take a turn(or declare not to) I have no reason not to proceed right away. I will ask you take a turn within 48 hours. I may replace you if it becomes an issue, but decide it wont when you enlist.

Ending Cryostasis...
Marines. Please Sign Up.

Current Roster

Red:
returning player or others full

Orange:

Yellow:

Green:

Teal: Loud Whispers
new player or others full

Blue: My Name is Immaterial
new player or others full

Purple:
others full and no waitlist, random waitlist draw

DO NOT POST YET
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:59:47 am by GameBoyBlue »

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ICE
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 11:47:07 pm »

ITEMS

FLAME THROWER
Good for multiple weak enemies.

RIFLE
Good for strong single targets.

MACHINE GUN
A balanced weapon for a variety of threats.

HOT PACK
When used instantly gives your core temperature a boost

MED PACK
Stops bleeding and regain some blood.

DOGS
Rescue dogs that will loyally obey commands.

TURRET
Place on the corridor or path between two areas, to fire when someone not allied to you takes that path.

FLARE GUN
Fire to see better in the dark or a storm, or to signal people far way.

IMPORTANT ITEMS
Find and hold on to them, kill people who have what you need.

DO NOT POST YET
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:54:14 am by GameBoyBlue »

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:50:45 pm »

PAST MISSIONS

Spoiler: Archive (click to show/hide)

Here is the last entries of a previous session, it sums up the energy of play well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PAY YOUR DUES, SCUM

When you begin, you are a prisoner who has been excused from a life sentence to serve in the space military, and cannot be promoted. Quitting would mean going back to a jail cell, but there is an amount of money you could pay to be freed.

I choose to do this as a real world $5. While others may prefer to support their games with a Patreon subscription(such as the one I back every month, Piecewise), I choose make it a one time fee, then you have earned the benefits for any future session you play.

>Priority to Play
>Earn Achievements
>Earn Ranks

I also offer discounts, it is possible to obtain membership for $0.
Spoiler: Discounts (click to show/hide)

You do not ever need to participate in this fee, and can play as much as you want. Medals will still be awarded, but as a criminal you do not get rank from them. Play the game for free and see if being a commander and collectibles are something you will want, whether by supporting with money, your unique skills, or achievements in-game.

***RETURNING PLAYERS FROM BEFORE THIS SESSION (vgf.com) (gamefaqs.com) HAVE FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP***

THANK YOU FOR BETA TESTING: BladeMan.EXE, burnouttrainer, DamionDL, Deku Trii, dj-izzle, EdwardDarkstar, Eyemeralds, RAJ, Kaljinyu, matt314hew, MegaPidgey, I am nobody, and nyankat

MEDALS

[1] TOUR OF DUTY
Play as the marine, The THING, or a major extra. May be disqualified for leaving or losing early at host's discretion.
2⋆BladeMan.EXE 2⋆DamionDL 2⋆EdwardDarkstar 2⋆Eyemeralds ⋆Deku Trii ⋆dj-izzle ⋆Kaljinyu ⋆matt314hew ⋆MegaPidgey ⋆RAJ ⋆nyankat

[2] BRONZE STAR
Win as a marine, or be the last marine to die.
⋆Kaljinyu

[3] SILVER STAR
Repeat Bronze Star.

[4] DISTINGUISHED MARKSMAN
3 kills consisting of marines or The THING using projectile weapons. If as marine must be lawful, as deemed by a military judge.

[5] PURPLE HEART
Outlive all marines as The THING before escaping.

[6] FOREIGN DECORATION
Kill no marines as The THING and win, or complete a primary goal as an extra.
⋆dj-izzle

[7] INTERSTELLAR DEFENSE BOARD
Be promoted for commanding TAB or giving TIP advice.

[8] MEDAL OF HONOR
Complete an additional goal as an extra, or awarded to a marine by a military judge.

[9] NOBEL IN BIOLOGY
Upgrade at least twice as The THING.
⋆EdwardDarkstar

RANK
(Unique Medals-Total Medals)

GENERAL(7)
---

SERGEANT(4)
---

CORPORAL(2)
EdwardDarkstar(2-3)
BladeMan.EXE(2-2), DamionDL(2-2), dj-izzle(2-2), Eyemeralds(2-2), Kaljinyu(2-2), RAJ(2-2)

PRIVATE FIRST-CLASS(1)
Deku Trii(1-1), matt314hew(1-1), MegaPidgey(1-1), RAJ(1-1), nyankat(1-1)

YOU MAY NOW POST
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:50:10 am by GameBoyBlue »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 11:58:22 pm »

((Reads over the rules...))

((I'm going to hope for your sake that the "5$" thing was a joke.))
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:06:38 am »

a patreon for a forum game
this has to be a joke

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 12:19:19 am »

Oh hey, It's the guy who wanted help to make a forum for forum games even though clicking the smart machines forum link at the bottom of the page will guide you through it...

Now you're asking for money to play a forum game literally ANYBODY could steal off you and do it for free.

Yeah no thanks.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 12:33:12 am »

as you portray it here it's not even a good game
3 items so far
vague stats

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 12:54:35 am »

Not to mention spelling errors, lackluster format, and what appears to be a full player list of people that don't use this forum?
I'm confused why I would pay $5 for being able to play, if I'm lucky, since my money doesn't guarantee me a spot, your games. Also, I can't be sure that this isn't a scam. You don't have a portfolio of success, impressive games that would make me throw down my money. You don't have a history of endurance with your games, so I am hesitant to pay for an incomplete experience. You're not an established name on the forums and your ties are weak, at best; how do we know that you won't take our money and run?

Run a game -for free- that knocks our socks off, establish a vibrant, robust and fun ruleset, and show that you can be trusted to provide a FG&RP experience worthy of $5, and then you can come back and sell us a game. Heck, if you established yourself as a player, by joining a few games and posting in them consistently, we'd trust you more. Join a Magic Girl game or something, rack up a decent sized post count, shitpost a little in GD, learn to play DF and you'll be well on your way to becoming a trusted Bay12er.
Before that, you'll probably find that not a whole lot of people are interested.

In the meantime, you've got a history of interesting and innovative games, so I'm interested to see if you can make monetization work. I doubt you can, but I encourage you to persevere against the odds!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:11:06 am by My Name is Immaterial »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 02:03:29 am »

Yeah, I don't buy this. Literally and figuratively. For all the reasons above. Only I'm going to be harsher and say it would never work.

It's just good taste and logical not to charge for forum games. I mean, literally nobody else makes people pay to join what is essentially a mafia game when there's a nice ton of them in the subforum. Especially considering that you've stuffed the roster with non-forumites, lessening the amount of those who would WANT to play actually getting in. I could just go join any OTHER game without shovelling out my cash and get the exact same experience or better. Or if I really wanted this one, I could steal the system, modify it, and host it for free.

Also, you may want to remember this is a forum about a free game. Not sure if this is an argument, but it certainly gives this a sort of irony.

Overall, I rate this along the same lines as the one guy from months ago. Which is to say, insane, would never work, and I hope it stays that way. I personally wouldn't want to have to pay to join a forum game on a forum I can freely post on whenever I feel like, after all.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 03:13:47 am »

A... pay-to-play forum game.

...What.

Dude, I've sunk absurd amounts of time and effort into making what I hope are good forum games, but they're still forum games. Even if you wove the most compelling narrative imaginable, even if you wrote with eloquence that would put Patrick Rothfuss to shame, even if you created the most immaculately intricate ruleset known to man - which both your patchy writing skills and your slightly depressing lack of understanding of the medium within which you're working would indicate are not within the realm of possibilities - it would still be presented as a forum game, an inherently passion-driven and rarely-marketable venue.

On a more mechanical note, your rules are somewhat... negligent, I suppose, of the major benefit of non-scripted systems (basically any game with a GM calling the shots rather than a computer). You have a set list of actions that players can engage in (and presumably are limited to) rather than allow players to say 'I try X' and then let their course of action play out organically. Have you considered learning programming? It would be pretty easy (translation: it would be trivial, probably only taking a couple days at most) to take these rules and put them into a form that would suit your purposes better.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 03:38:03 am »

Have you considered learning programming? It would be pretty easy (translation: it would be trivial, probably only taking a couple days at most) to take these rules and put them into a form that would suit your purposes better.
And with programming, no one judges you too hard when you try and charge money for it. :P

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:46:16 am »

There are better forum games on this site, that are free.
This is the best I have ever done, I've hosted it several times, I feel absolutely confident in asking a fee for returning players starting after this session. Play my game and review it. Like I said its free the first time.

There's an attitude that I want to break, about the validity of this hobby. I think forum games, aka thought experiment games have value. Yeah, I'd like to stick it to my pops by making a few bucks from something I love and sink so much creativity into.

If you really want to stick it me, play my game. Its free for the first play, tell people how bland it is. I'd love that.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 09:50:30 am »

Plus I have some certainty that this sort of thing- really-not a good idea- someone should call the Great Toad.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 09:58:29 am »

Alright, you're missing the point.

Forum games are inherently a shitty source of money. One, not everyone who plays them has money to spare- I, for instance, would rather spend the pittance of money on games I know are good rather than use it on a forum game with a GM who might be terrible or has any other problem. Two, you get eleven players, at best, so you make nothing unless you're churning them out like hot cakes. Three, nobody WANTS to pay for entertainment they can get at no cost from people who can do it better than you. There is a very good reason nobody charges for this.

I'm free to stick it to you now, without shelling out a single penny. There's just no reason for me to play your game. It's not compelling, it's better done by others, and I have to pay for it.

As Araph and co. said, you're better off making an actual game ala Town of Salem and charging people to buy it.

Also, yes, someone call in Toady unless we can verify the rules on monetizing, as much as I would rather have this just plain closed down on principle.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:00:02 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 10:03:46 am »

I am not even setting a precedent or anything. Check out piecewise's patreon, of which I have been a supporter months.

However, I AM trying to run a game. THIS IS NOT a discussion for pay to play and if you are not interested in signing up or asking about the game content please take that discussion elsewere. Feel free to invite me I'd be happy to follow up, but please respect the game I am trying to run.

Run a game -for free- that knocks our socks off, establish a vibrant, robust and fun ruleset, and show that you can be trusted to provide a FG&RP experience worthy of $5, and then you can come back and sell us a game.

I am not selling anything at all right now other than what I intend to do in the future. I have nothing set up to receive pay at this time. All players have free access to this session, and all new players will to each future one. I have been a part of this community for a year, and hosted and played many games, if you don't know me that's not my problem.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:10:13 am by GameBoyBlue »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5