Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Invaders Equip More Armor?  (Read 978 times)

Arrek

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves are overrated. Magma is the new dwarves!
    • View Profile
Do Invaders Equip More Armor?
« on: December 06, 2015, 07:52:55 pm »

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to Dwarf Fortress, with only about 4-5 years under my belt, and I've had plenty of !!FUN!! times. However, one thing always bugged me about dark forces invading my fort. They only ever have a breastplate, mail shirt, or leather armor, as well as a helm. As fun as it is being the only force on the battlefield fully decked out in armor, I want to know if they ever wear more than a piece of (giant badger leather armor) and a (<<copper helm>>). Even elite gobbos wear little to no actual defense.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Invaders Equip More Armor?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 06:26:47 pm »

It could be from the invaders already wearing a lot of clothing that is taking up space. There is no real difference between armor and clothing items when it comes to wearing them. Each kind of item takes up a certain amount of bulk until it hits a limit. Such as, a dwarf can wear two mail shirts, or three socks on one foot. And a dwarf can't all wear a loincloth, leggings, greaves, and trousers all at once on his legs.

If you deleted all the clothes the goblin civilization can make from the RAWs, they may wear more armor. If hoods don't exist anymore, then they will probably wear more helmets.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:45:21 pm »

Helms and hoods don't conflict (or at least they didn't in 0.40).  But helms and caps are mutually exclusive.  Or were.  It's not clear how it'll work in 0.42.03 when the armor wearing bug is allegedly smooshed.

As far as invaders wearing arm/leg armor, I think you would have to mod that.  One of the more popular old mods, Fortress Defense, includes races that wear plenty of armor (as well as being larger than goblins, which has a huge effect on overall combat).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 01:06:46 am »

It's possible that helms and crowns may conflict in 0.42, since people wear those now.