Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Only Forumites Survive - Bay12 Edition  (Read 15750 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Only Forumites Survive - Bay12 Edition
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2015, 07:26:48 am »

Hey, would other people kindly fill out other disasters on the map?  Thus far, my having put up the ones I know of has me giving serious consideration we should all attempt to reach Austrailia rather than stick around in/head to the US.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2015, 07:57:16 am »

But can you land?

Land with unclear, unserrviced, likely unfamiliar runaways without up to date local conditions and without the benefit of designated maintenance personnel or other crew assistance. I mean, the odds say that here's certainly pilots who could do it, especially in Cessnas, but it's not something I'd care to try. I'll stick to one continent, I'm afraid.

Could we not just, y'know, have you oversea'ers take a boat? Those are much, MUCH easier. And don't crash horribly.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Jayjake9

• Bay Watcher
  • Deus Volt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2015, 10:21:19 am »

People not in MERICA, fly to the U.S. People in MERICA drive or something like that to DC
Ever heard of the phrase "Don't drop the soap? Completely disregard it in prison! It will help you climb the prison social hierarchy

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2015, 10:25:59 am »

I think I'll stay in Britain until I have everything I want, then commandeer a boat when ready, thanks
thincake

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2015, 10:42:04 am »

Okay, so we've spent a long time talking about GETTING to 'murica..

But what happens when everyone IS in america? What then?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2015, 11:10:15 am »

Sailing a boat across the Atlantic or Pacific without regular guidance or expertise is also not an especially easy task, it might however, be smart to do it sooner rather than later. It'd get much tougher once the satellites start becoming useless.

Edit: my quick research is saying that you've got 180 days before the newest sats stop trying to self correct. Unless the 50th space wing has enough forumites to keep operating (and I severely doubt that), you're going to be down to primitive navigation at that point.

Actually, the first few days and hours are going to be the most crucial ones. I can't come up with a good prediction for how long the Internet would last, and that's everyone's best chance for planning and easy information gathering. After that, you'll be stuck trying to find books and learning skills by experimentation.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:22:48 am by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2015, 11:28:12 am »

Clearly we need to proselytize DF to more people involved with infrastructure.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2015, 11:30:08 am »

generally, so long as the wikipedia and bay12forums servers stay online, were fine. oh, and the satellite control. i believe all you need to do is power the control computer. POWER. THATS IMPORTANT.  maintain power lines and at least one strong powerplant, preferably NOT nuclear. the power lines are all connected up,right thats the grid

Landing a cessna is easy. A cargo jet is just very slighlty bigger isnt it? A nice, long runway and autopilot help should do the job.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2015, 11:51:46 am »

That's pretty simplistic, the power for those servers isn't maintained by anyone alive, so they're going to die. Lord only knows when, but once they're dead, it'd be a very serious project to get them running again, probably beyond anyone's means. Landing a cargo plane on an unfamiliar, unlit runway without any weather information is not an easy task if you're not a professional.

It's actually looking like the best preparation for getting mire people to join the forum would be Air Force personnel, actually. Damn chair force.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2015, 12:03:25 pm »

Honestly, let's say Bay12 did somehow stay up. For simplicity sake. Because without it, there'd be no communication, and no way to be Bay12.. and the entire point of this topic turns to 'How do you survive?' and I think it's more of 'How do we a community survive as the last people left?'

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2015, 12:19:39 pm »

Couldn't we simplify power by disconnecting except hydroelectric stations and everything we wanted?

Honestly, let's say Bay12 did somehow stay up. For simplicity sake. Because without it, there'd be no communication, and no way to be Bay12.. and the entire point of this topic turns to 'How do you survive?' and I think it's more of 'How do we a community survive as the last people left?'
Well, with the GMs clearly being the alpha males and alpha female stock, they are chosen to repopulate and rule the new futureHaving a moving, hunter gatherer society so we don't run out of resources in 'Murica and Europe, other places will have trouble. In large groups, we should look for a place to settle but spread ourselves actively over around 5-100 kilometres to stop food shortages.

Japa could probably build an airship, right? So he can fly over and get the Asians, on the way to rescue the few NZ and Aussie members and take them to Murica or Europe.

TBH, We'd have a bit of trouble in Europe turning off the nuclear power stations and all, maybe we should move to Eagleland.
One wheel short of a wagon

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 08, 2015, 12:40:35 pm »

It'll stay up for awhile, I'd imagine eight hours at absolute worst up to several days. Best plan to do last minute planning and coordination quickly.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2015, 12:47:34 pm »

You know, maybe we should head to wherever the hosting area for Wikipedia is and set up there.  If we can get it to be so that powerlines from a hydroelectric dam go to it, we would have access to a large amount of information for a long period of time.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2015, 01:12:12 pm »

my ideas exactly. just find the main power control staions and shutoff all power exept that wich we need.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2015, 01:22:24 pm »

Yep. Totally within capabilities.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18