Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 52015 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 05:21:57 pm »

Why does that world name sound familiar...

JustMercy1994

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 07:17:44 pm »

Could someone suggest some good parameters for an adventuring world with lots of history and baddies to fight? I'm having difficulty balancing a thousand year history with surviving megabeasts/titans and keeping at least one decent civ alive for each race as well. Any help is appreciated.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 07:24:10 pm »

I'm having trouble with getting elves to show up in my worlds. I've been building with generally high-savagery, high monster worlds. Even with a high number of civilizations, they seem to be getting crowded out by towers.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2015, 08:45:22 pm »

I'm having trouble with getting elves to show up in my worlds. I've been building with generally high-savagery, high monster worlds. Even with a high number of civilizations, they seem to be getting crowded out by towers.
I might be wrong, but I've never seen a parent civ start in a high savagery tile.  Including elves, goblins, humans, or dwarves.  In a test world I built, I had one square set to zero savagery, and the rest at 100.  No other civs would form outside that first tile.
However, sites would form, at least for some of them, in high savagery tiles.

High death (from high titan, mega, semi-mega) counts certainly contribute to more towers, as do more civs.  You may have to manually paint savagery to ensure there's some low savagery areas for civs to form, or just reduce the savagery variance to something below 300 with 0/100 min/max to give larger zero areas.

igmas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 08:15:30 am »

I might be wrong, but I've never seen a parent civ start in a high savagery tile.  Including elves, goblins, humans, or dwarves.  In a test world I built, I had one square set to zero savagery, and the rest at 100.  No other civs would form outside that first tile.
However, sites would form, at least for some of them, in high savagery tiles.

High death (from high titan, mega, semi-mega) counts certainly contribute to more towers, as do more civs.  You may have to manually paint savagery to ensure there's some low savagery areas for civs to form, or just reduce the savagery variance to something below 300 with 0/100 min/max to give larger zero areas.

Noob question but how can you paint world tiles?

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2015, 09:06:42 am »

Advanced world generation, edit settings, than press 'p', IIRC. It's a really clunky interface. (The wiki has more.)
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2015, 11:30:23 am »

I'm interested in the settings for this.

Granted!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Spacepup18

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2015, 10:26:22 pm »

Granted!

Where is the actual embark you were talking about?

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2015, 04:08:25 pm »

Granted!

Yes, screenshots of your embark location, please!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2015, 04:58:16 pm »

Does anyone know how to generate a world that 1. has goblin dark forts were you can go in and rescue children without a shitload of lag and 2. the kids don't get scared and run away when you talk to them?

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2015, 07:41:42 am »

Hello!

I've always wanted a world where there are all the races around me, including a tower.  There also needs to be relatively flat cavern layers; meaning no huge hills that make it confusing.  A lava chute would be cool too, but not required.  Lots of iron of course!  I want to fight through hoards of enemies. 

Also, I am not sure on how or where to put the information once I receive it.  Anybody able to tell me how to show me another post that says how?  Thanks!
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2015, 08:59:41 am »

Hello!

I've always wanted a world where there are all the races around me, including a tower.  There also needs to be relatively flat cavern layers; meaning no huge hills that make it confusing.  A lava chute would be cool too, but not required.  Lots of iron of course!  I want to fight through hoards of enemies. 

Also, I am not sure on how or where to put the information once I receive it.  Anybody able to tell me how to show me another post that says how?  Thanks!

Go to your DF folder, then data, then init, then paste the raws at the very bottom of the file called world_gen.txt.

To generate a world with the given parameters, launch DF, then scroll to "Design New World with Advanced Parameters", hit enter and scroll the list on the right to the world you want to create (it should be right at the bottom).

I'm not very well versed with designing worlds myself, but I don't think you can alter the layout of the caverns, only how close to the surface they are, and the number of caverns. Of course, I may be wrong. Also, lava chutes? You can just dig all the way down to the magma sea, and there's your lava chute--or am I interpreting this wrongly?

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2015, 10:09:00 am »

Thank you very much for the information. 

After reading much more into world generating, I've decided that my request is a little vague.  By lava chute I mean volcanoes, hehe.  I basically want a world with a lot of iron and caverns that are sort of flat; not a ton of hills and such.  Also there needs to be all civilizations in range.
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2015, 05:17:05 pm »

As far as I know, there are no parameters to keep the caverns reasonable in the Z dimension (if there are, I'd very much want to know, as I hate those 50 z level high twisting monstrosities).
There is a parameter to control how dense passages within cavers are, as well as a parameter that controls how connected caverns are (can be used to prohibit caverns from being completely split into separate parts), and a parameter that controls how much of a cavern may be covered by water (setting min = max = 0, i.e. never any water, causes dwarven civs to fail to spawn).

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2015, 11:38:18 pm »

Hello!

I'm looking for an 3x3 embark with the following:
  • Small world
  • All five races alive and in range after 600 years
  • As flat as possible with two cavern layers
  • Tetrahedrite+Cassiterite, Iron and Marble
  • Clay and sand
  • Trees
  • A water source
  • I would prefer a freezing biome with high savagery and no evil
Thanks in advance!
This one matches, as far as I can tell.  The water source is a partial aquifer (the sand part of the embark) which is easy to bypass and/or utilize.  As a bonus, there's also coal.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13