Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Roll to get spooky: turn 9: screamin'  (Read 5744 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Roll to get spooky: turn 9: screamin'
« on: December 06, 2015, 02:49:29 pm »

The world is saved. For now. Probably. Actually, it's still somewhat teetering on the edge. Many people played a role in this story. It is not a straightforward tale of a lone hero going on the path that was his destiny from the moment he was born. Rather, it is a complex web of many people stumbling along and trying their best to do what they think is right. Not unlike the web of a spider who is both drunk and really, really high. It would be impossible to tell the story of all of these people at once, so for now we are going to look at four poor schmucks living in Verdunville, a small and rather ignored town in the southern United States. The next large city is at least a hour and half drive away. Or a solid hour by train.

Verdunville is known for two things. Many weird things have happened their since it was first settled back ye olden days. And it a city filled with people who are down on their luck. The poor, criminal, mentally ill. It isn't a horrible place to live, really, and most of its inhabitants are just your average joes, but the statistics don't lie. Among its major landmarks are a large lake surrounded by forest, a mall whose framework was finished but was never put in use because no chain thought it profitable enough to put a store in this town, a large trailer park, a rather nice church and a deserted hospital. The thrilling nightlife in this town includes such highlights as a dvd rental store, a small cinema and more sleazy bars than you can shake a stick at. Truly, redneck valhalla. This is the place where our four unfortunate souls live, for one reason or another. And it's where things...are going to get weird.

Spoiler: hello! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)

4 people maximum. Not first come first serve. I'll leave this open for at least 24 hours before I make my choice of characters. feel free to ask questions either here or via pm.

Note that the gm has never lived in the US, so I will absolutely get some things completely wrong.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:14:53 pm by Pancaek »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to get spooky: Verdunville: at least the rent is cheap.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 02:49:46 pm »

playerlist
Spoiler: SaberToothTiger (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: crazyabe (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: AzyWng (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:12:20 pm by Pancaek »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile

Name: Bubba Hauser

Appearance: Wears a stained, white wife beater, old jeans and a baseball cap. He is a man, slightly overweight, scruffy looking, unshaven and sporting a haircut that can be at best described as a wannabe mullet.

Backstory: Ol' Bubba was born and raised in this town. He has quit high school and enlisted in the Army. After serving for four years he returned home and found employment in a local gas station. He lives in a trailer, spends most of his spare cash on booze and cigs.

Fear/phobia: Ol' Bubba is dead afraid of dem foruhneirs. Dem be all waitin' to blow yar up, ya know. Terrorists, all o' dem. Only one way to deal wit' 'em. A boolit to dem heads is moor than enough.

Strength 3
Dexterity 1
Mind 0
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:30:04 pm by SaberToothTiger »
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile

Name: Tattoos AKA Alan billy Jo

Appearance: a Thin but thickly muscled male, with Blue dyed hair, Green eyes, and some small amounts of White skin where he isn't Tattooed and Scarred. He usually wears a black Hoody, red Sneakers, and Dark grey Jeans held up by a Chain.

Backstory: he Dropped out of high school, Ran away from home, joined a gang, killed some people, and has done some other Bad things.

Fear/phobia: His dad, and Heavy drunks in General, the sort of men who get drunk and Beat people to within an inch of their life.

STATS
STR: 1
DEX: 2
INT: 1
DST#:1
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:22:52 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile

Reserved
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

Name: Ariel Essert (His parents named him wierd, don't ask)
Appearance: A young man, brown hair, brown eyes, fairly well-built. Prefers to wear a mask and hat of some sort, something that'll hide the face or at least the eyes. Wears a blue jacket/hoodie, brown khaki pants, and a large backpack with clothes, food, a bit of spending money, etc.
Backstory: A bit of a wanderer, who decided to stay here for the next few months. He'll probably leave if nothing interesting happens in a while.
Fear/phobia: Spiders and/or creepy-crawlies (cockroaches, flies, maggots, honeybees, wasps, etc.)
Stats:
DEX: 1
MND: 2
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:46:40 pm by AzyWng »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well, since we've only got three singups so far we'll wait at least another 24 hours or so, should someone else want to sign up. In the meantime, feel free to ask if you've got anything that isn't clear.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

well, since we've only got three singups so far we'll wait at least another 24 hours or so, should someone else want to sign up. In the meantime, feel free to ask if you've got anything that isn't clear.

Will we be given the option to choose our stats (Strength, Dexterity, and Mind)? Or will they be chosen based on our backstory/appearance?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will we be given the option to choose our stats (Strength, Dexterity, and Mind)? Or will they be chosen based on our backstory/appearance?
holy shit, how did I not notice that I completely skipped that part of the intro? Argh. That's what happens when you do these kinds of things late in the evening when you haven't slept enough.

You start at 0 points in all three. 0 gives you a -1 to rolls. 1 gives you no bonuses or maluses. 2 points in a stat gives you a +1. 3 points gives you +2 etc. You get 4 points to start with. Man, I feel silly now.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile

I added stats to my sheet, If nothing else I have what I want them to be.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to get spooky: Verdunville: at least the rent is cheap. [signups open]
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 06:59:24 pm »

I added stats to my sheet, If nothing else I have what I want them to be.
Of course, make them however you like.

For everyone of you, don't be afraid not to min-max your character. There are no rolls for simple things, and things you can assume everyday people know how to do. Like, say, driving a car. Unless you're trying some crazy stunts of course. Also, rest assured, you'll face many things you cannot combat to death.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to get spooky: turn 1: garden party
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 04:09:35 pm »

((Well, we're still only at three players, but let's start anyway, huh? I'm sure the last spot will get filled soon enough. ))

turn 1: garden party

A lazy winter night in Verdunville. You all find yourself in the little piece of grassland behind the trailer park. Usually it's just a place for the local residents to do a barbecue or play baseball or whatever. Today however there's a party going on. There's a little stage with a local band playing some kind of shitty metal cover. The band is too drunk to actually play well, but the crowd is equally too drunk to notice their awfulness, so it all balances out and everyone is having fun. There's a table with red plastics cups and a bunch of beer kegs to the side of the stage where everyone can get theri modestly priced refills, courtesy of one of the local bars.

The people at the party are the ones you can see at every party in this town. There's the ones rocking out in front of the stage. There's the local drunks and the people who live in the trailer park, here to scrore some cheap booze and get some entertainment looking at drunk idiots fall on their asses. There's the few homeless people and drug addicts, skulking around, looking to score either some drugs or a cup of beer that has been left unguarded. And then there's three or four college kids, who come to a town like this to try out some weed or other drugs and have a little night on the wild side before returning to their dorms. Two guys with frat sweaters are getting in a chugging contest, while the two girls who are with them are giggling over by some other guy who is showing magic tricks. You can't see the tricks from where you're at, they're blocking the view.

Bubba, Tattoos and Ariel all happen to get to the beer table at the same time, getting their refills. Bubba and Tattoos know eachother a bit, living in the same trailer park. They've seen Ariel around a few times, but don't know him nearly as well. Everything is hunky dory and people are enjoying what would otherwise have been a cold shitty night. All is well, for now.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to get spooky: turn 1: garden party [signups open]
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 06:06:56 pm »

[spolier] Name: Ariel Essert (His parents named him wierd, don't ask)
Appearance: A young man, brown hair, brown eyes, fairly well-built. Prefers to wear a mask and hat of some sort, something that'll hide the face or at least the eyes. Wears a blue jacket/hoodie, brown khaki pants, and a large backpack with clothes, food, a bit of spending money, etc.
Backstory: A bit of a wanderer, who decided to stay here for the next few months. He'll probably leave if nothing interesting happens in a while.
Fear/phobia: Spiders and/or creepy-crawlies (cockroaches, flies, maggots, honeybees, wasps, etc.)
Stats:
DEX: 1
MND: 2 [/spoiler]

Well, might as well say a few hellos. It can't do any harm, after all, a few more months, and Ariel'll be out of the hair of these folks. "Hi there. Name's Ariel. Nice to meet you."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 06:35:43 pm »

((I just realised that your old RTD didn't die when I thought it did, and I never realised it was still going. :-[
Sorry about that, Pancaek... I didn't see it pop up in the RTD board for a while and it was kinda the only RTD I was in, so I stopped checking for it. If I ever do that again feel free to send me a PM or throw something at me.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 08:51:37 pm »

"Howday. Yer not frowm around heer, aincha? You, like, from Filadelphia or sumthin'? Me, I dun like them Filadelphians. They all sort of creepy. Mah name is Bawba ayund, uh, I leev aroun' 'eer. Hey, wanna stop by for sawm chow laytur?"
Bubba uses this opportunity to gob down another cupful of beer.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4