Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I find out which skill/material an instrument(part) requires?  (Read 11982 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[0.42.02] Instruments and (some) parts can be made at the craftdwarf's workshop, but they are listed at the top level, not under wood/stone/bone, so which skill /material is required? I've also some parts marked in red, presumably because I don't have the material required, but again, how do I find out what that material is?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find out which skill/material an instrument(part) requires?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:10:16 pm »

[0.42.02] Instruments and (some) parts can be made at the craftdwarf's workshop, but they are listed at the top level, not under wood/stone/bone, so which skill /material is required? I've also some parts marked in red, presumably because I don't have the material required, but again, how do I find out what that material is?

It doesn't really say. What I do is type in the name of the instrument in the manager screen and the parts pop up. Then if I don't have the item the red announcement text will tell me what it is made of. A pain in the ass I know but its the only way I could figure out how to get all the pieces without checking every workshop.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 01:18:50 pm »

When it describes the instrument, it will say what each part is made of (cloth strings/ instrument of bone/yadda yadda) but it seems we can't actually view the full description of each instrument. So look at the description for a few hints, I guess.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 01:23:45 pm »

We could definitely show some more information.  One possibility though -- if you highlight the red job in the workshop, can you press enter on it?  It should pop up material list, and highlight the missing materials in red.  That should work once you've found out where the part is made, anyway, and it should also give you a part list for assemble jobs.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 01:46:06 pm »

We could definitely show some more information.  One possibility though -- if you highlight the red job in the workshop, can you press enter on it?  It should pop up material list, and highlight the missing materials in red.  That should work once you've found out where the part is made, anyway, and it should also give you a part list for assemble jobs.

I clicked on a "Rafar" in the craftdwarf workshop which was red. In the reagents column there is a list of red reagents. However, it does not say what material they are made from. Instead it says;

Rafar drums
Rafar stand
Rafar heads

Edit: The item description does say the materials. Glass, leather, and ceramic.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:50:37 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »

Trying to add a red instrument part to the production list does indeed say what material is missing.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 04:35:38 pm »

Yeah, the assemble job doesn't care about the materials.  You should be able to get the materials from the part jobs in each workshop by pressing enter once you find it (just as a workaround, not suggesting this is good).  You need to have an example of each possible shop to check.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 02:12:45 am »

Well, I can only find what the material is if I don't have it, otherwise the job will be scheduled. This can be a problem if you have small stocks of some resource (such as e.g. wood in treeless embarks), so you want to save that for necessary usages.

Another materials related issue is that I tend to have one craftdwarf shop for each skill, so I want to place the order in the shop the corresponding dwarf is using (e.g. the constant churning out of pots for booze, with a few instrument parts thrown in), or all instrument production risks stalling waiting for a craftdwarf busy indefinitely elsewhere.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 04:38:21 am »

You can set a single tile empty stockpile to give to the workshop and all items will be in red, letting you see the required materials. Yet another second best workaround that's been there for a while.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 06:17:08 am »

I hadn't thought about the stockpile workaround, but yes, it sounds like a fairly easy one. Thanks!

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 06:34:07 am »

Another materials related issue is that I tend to have one craftdwarf shop for each skill, so I want to place the order in the shop the corresponding dwarf is using (e.g. the constant churning out of pots for booze, with a few instrument parts thrown in), or all instrument production risks stalling waiting for a craftdwarf busy indefinitely elsewhere.

Yup, this is where I ran into trouble as well. (Stonecrafter goes near mason,mechanic, and stone stocks; woodcrafter goes near carpenter,boyer, and wood stocks; bonecarver and bone+shell+horn+ivory stocks go near butcher + fishery) This is also why I don't use the manager for anything that can be built at a craftdwarf workshop, since they'll just spam every request to all the workshops and gum up  the works.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:42:29 am by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:12 pm »

All the instruments I've seen list off what they need in the description, which looks like this part on the far left (on larger resolutions it is a small window in the top right of the right most screen). This is the menu that pops up when you select the make instrument option in the Craftswarf's workshop.

You can note in that example it says it is made of 4 parts: Main part is Bone (3rd line) with 3 other parts: a Leather bellow (5th line), Ceramic pipes (12th line), and a Ceramic keyboard/pedalboard (16th line).

That tells you that in this case the instrument is made of 4 parts, 1 from Leather at the Leather works, 1 from Bone at the Craftsdwarf's workshop, and 2 from Ceramic at the (Magma) Kiln. These are then assembled at the Craftsdwarf's workshop (

Single part instruments and instrument pieces say 'make' rather than 'assemble' and well you can see that the single part instruments say what they are made from, (7th line for that one), you'll have to go with the workaround of looking at the assembling of the instrument to see if it is wood, bone, or stone or restricting it so it has not access to wood/bone/stone. (only in Craftsdwarf's workshop though, as ceramic, metal, glass, and leather have their own places they are made).

On the bright side, you can narrow it down rather easily as craftsdwarf's workshop only has wood, bone, fiber (silk/plant fibers/?yarn?), and stone (as far as I know) so if it says "strings" then it wants either plant fiber or silk (or yarn?) (though you'd have to narrow that down as it wants specifically silk or plant fiber, not just any thread. Instrument does note "silk-stringed" or "cloth-stringed" (and "metal-stringed").).
--
As a note, I made the 1st item pictured, and I had -horse bone console- (main part),*horse leather bellows*, earthenware keyboard, and -earthenware pipes- and it used the bonecrafter, so it might base it on whatever the 1st part listed is as to skill needed for assembling it?