Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Military doesn't want to equip armor  (Read 3474 times)

daxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military doesn't want to equip armor
« on: December 06, 2015, 12:39:19 am »

I set up the uniform like I normally do, simple metal mail shirt (x2), breastplate, greaves, etc.,.... Checked on them later, all 6 of my dwarfs had just grabbed a shield and weapon. The armor pieces did not even have the green checkmark for them being assigned. Checked my stocks, yep, plenty of armor. Changed metal to any material, nope. Changed from exact match to partial, nope. Finally, I went in and assigned them a specific piece for each part of the uniform.

Now they all have green checks, so they're assigned...but they won't pick them up. I also got two mercenaries that won't take any armor, but will gladly take an extra weapon and shield. I think I might just let the mercs form their own squad if I get one or two more and let them be crazy, but I would like my dwarfs to be a bit less suicidal. Oh, set to be in uniform when off duty and I've tried replacing clothing and over clothing. Some of them have replaced the occasional bit, but I just can't figure it out.

One of them refuses to let go of a book, too. He DOES have his weapon, but it's strapped to his chest. It's at the point where his hammer skill is rusty, now. Oh, did I mention he can't even read?

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military doesn't want to equip armor
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:56:35 am »

Known bug, see also:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9156

Listed as high priority, and it is kinda important.  It's not (necessarily) you or your dwarves, but the game itself.

daxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 02:57:28 am »

That's actually what I was hoping for, so thanks! I was going a little crazy thinking I had gotten the new stuff right and messed up the army.

Maybe I'll start training the dwarfs as archers and let the mercs draw them in. Archers usually don't need as much armor.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 08:06:07 am »

Known bug, see also:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9156

Listed as high priority, and it is kinda important.  It's not (necessarily) you or your dwarves, but the game itself.

I didn't even realize dwarves weren't equipping helmets or boots until I saw this thread.

I guess I'll just stick to traps instead of honorable combat for sieges.  :'(

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:38:56 am »

I'm going to wait till this bug is fixed before playing again.. just lost a fort because my military didn't wear their equipment.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 12:28:29 pm »

Manually equipping individual items works fine even though it is a pain to set up.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 12:29:50 pm »

Manually equipping individual items works fine even though it is a pain to set up.

Even then, not all pieces are equipped. Some work, some don't.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »

This would explain how civilians were able to kill all my military in a tavern brawl with glass goblets.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 06:16:56 pm »

On a similar point - Is sparring broken? My militia say they're sparring, but no combat reports are entered. As far as I can tell, they're just kinda standing next to eachother.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 06:19:59 pm »

On a similar point - Is sparring broken? My militia say they're sparring, but no combat reports are entered. As far as I can tell, they're just kinda standing next to eachother.

I don't think my dwarves are sparring. However, demonstrations seem to do much more even for beginning recruits. All I know is, they don't seem to be sparring, but somehow their skill is increasing.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 08:35:15 pm »

I don't think my dwarves are sparring. However, demonstrations seem to do much more even for beginning recruits. All I know is, they don't seem to be sparring, but somehow their skill is increasing.

I noticed some missing combat reports too, specifically on invaders killing my animals.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 10:55:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its about year 6 for the fortress I'm doing right now and I was wondering why none of my Militia had earned legendary in observer.
I guessed it had something to do with the lack of "-is sparring" in the combat log.
I also noticed most of them are novice in shield user, yet they've had shields for years.

Geez, it seems like this update really hurt the military aspect of the game (No helmets or boots and training is really slow.) I guess I'll just have to stick with traps.  :(

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 11:04:28 pm »

I guess I'll just stick to traps instead of honorable combat for sieges.  :'(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its about year 6 for the fortress I'm doing right now and I was wondering why none of my Militia had earned legendary in observer.
I guessed it had something to do with the lack of "-is sparring" in the combat log.
I also noticed most of them are novice in shield user, yet they've had shields for years.

Geez, it seems like this update really hurt the military aspect of the game (No helmets or boots and training is really slow.) I guess I'll just have to stick with traps.  :(

Oh, but sieges are so much more sporting now compared to the previous steel-clad legends annihilating dozens of foes! I've found through experience that competent warriors, even outnumbered and unarmored, can defeat a siege - albeit with massive casualties. I'm tempted not to use armor even when the bug gets fixed. Plus, this makes migrant waves much more enticing: "Oh good! Grist for the mill." :)
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 11:30:48 pm »

-snip-

It's not really the armor I'm worried about.
Give a dwarf a weapon and a shield and train them, they'll end up glass cannons. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

However, the fact that they appear to refuse to train shield skill... is pretty important. It means they can really only rely on dodging, which I'm not sure works if you've got 100 (armored and/or mounted) goblins vs 20 (armor-less) dwarves. 

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 04:07:41 pm »

It is actually the "replace clothing" option, that doesn't work. They pick up shield, weapon,chainmail, leather armour and trousers, but refuse to wear helmets , boots and gloves, and never drop anything.

I also built coffers in the baracks, for the case they need a place to store their clothes (what some people demand), but it doens't help either.

Maybe, they will wear equipment, if their caps, shoes and gloves rot away.
Pages: [1] 2