Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

WHO SHALL BE ELECTED AS BARON or BARONESS? LINK TO DETAILS: http://bit.ly/1rYwMDL

Ilre Obeycarry
- 0 (0%)
Shud Rubbedmoisten
- 0 (0%)
Thrun Nestleshields
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 12, 2016, 05:21:02 pm

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31

Author Topic: BLAZECOOKS III - Human Fort  (Read 46983 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of Time - BLAZECOOKS III - Human Fort!!! v.42.06
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2016, 09:15:12 pm »

Double post update!

We accidentally breached the caverns, and a troll escaped. The entire fight went unnoticed until I found troll blood all over the place. Noone died. Also, a massive gold vein was discovered!

The lower levels of the tavern are completed, and the tavern floor has been designated for dining. Also, just to make sure no one missed it, Onyx is successfully dual wielding shields. It's quite possible.

Finally:
Spoiler:  No short jokes! (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2016, 10:17:40 pm »

Double post update!

We accidentally breached the caverns, and a troll escaped. The entire fight went unnoticed until I found troll blood all over the place. Noone died. Also, a massive gold vein was discovered!

The lower levels of the tavern are completed, and the tavern floor has been designated for dining. Also, just to make sure no one missed it, Onyx is successfully dual wielding shields. It's quite possible.

Finally:

Me dad always used ta say,

"Son, if the food ever rises against ye, that be a dark day me lad. I hope ye never hav ta see those evil times"

I never understood what he meant... Until now
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Onyx Discforge

• Bay Watcher
  • [Greg cancels fight FPS: Went insane]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 09, 2016, 07:46:28 am »

Double post update!

Finally:
Hmm, yet another chance for Onyx to die comedically prove her skill with shields.  And if she wins she gets free food!
Don't let past-you pick a username present-you won't like.

Some forts of mine: Snakepit (and Stakepet)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 09, 2016, 10:15:28 am »

Double post update!

Finally:
Hmm, yet another chance for Onyx to die comedically prove her skill with shields.  And if she wins she gets free food!

I will make this promise. If Onyx ever survives to legendary shield status I will found a permanent shield-wielding squad. Anyway, more updates later today.

The caverns are actually sealed, so shrimpy won't come into play just yet.

I am also drawn to the inescapable conclusion that we have no weaponizable metals outside of copper native to our city. We do have 100 bars of goblinite iron, but it looks like we do not have the knowledge needed to make steel.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:08:45 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2016, 12:35:02 pm »

WE DESPERATELY NEED THE SWEET RUM THOUGH!

If I recall correctly most military humans become alcohol dependent on the latest versions, so it's a good thing we have plenty of brew in the tavern.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 11, 2016, 12:58:22 pm »

It's safer to drink alcohol than disease infested water.

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2016, 03:02:42 pm »

That is always true. Shame you can't use it to clean wounds. Loading the hospitals with cheap booze to avoid the water need would be pretty great.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2016, 05:55:34 am »

I am also drawn to the inescapable conclusion that we have no weaponizable metals outside of copper native to our city. We do have 100 bars of goblinite iron, but it looks like we do not have the knowledge needed to make steel.

Which means that we can't have better metal equipment to fight the Shrimp with until we've already beaten (or gotten around) the Shrimp. Quite the conundrum.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2016, 12:08:26 pm »

Which means that we can't have better metal equipment to fight the Shrimp with until we've already beaten (or gotten around) the Shrimp. Quite the conundrum.

Well, everything is presently made of copper. Armor and edged weapons both. We could outfit a good potion of the militia with iron, but I'm wondering about how soon we will get more goblinite. They have to birth and raise more delivery-boys, after all.

Anyway, we do have a LOT OF GOLD now. We have been trading wood crafts and the occasional silver bauble for our needs. I think after the tavern and housing are done, we are going to need a new smith-works.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2016, 12:49:04 pm »

Silversmithing war hammers would be nice, perhaps even having a few mood to make gold war hammers is a possibility.

Are we rich now, elevated from peasant-dom to middling nobles that we can be given electrum furnishings?  Gold is just too baudy.

Onyx Discforge

• Bay Watcher
  • [Greg cancels fight FPS: Went insane]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2016, 12:54:52 pm »

Anyway, we do have a LOT OF GOLD now.
I demand super heavy gold shields (not actually sure how heavy gold is in dwarf fortress).  Can't have Onyx running for her life in the middle of a distraction, now can we?  And hopefully the idea of giving bling to the least useful human will be enough to discourage attackers, as they would think that the actual army would have "better" weapons and stuff.
Don't let past-you pick a username present-you won't like.

Some forts of mine: Snakepit (and Stakepet)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2016, 01:00:25 pm »

Can't make gold shield.  Now iron shield with gold studs would be just bling!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2016, 02:16:36 pm »

I demand super heavy gold shields (not actually sure how heavy gold is in dwarf fortress).  Can't have Onyx running for her life in the middle of a distraction, now can we?  And hopefully the idea of giving bling to the least useful human will be enough to discourage attackers, as they would think that the actual army would have "better" weapons and stuff.
Gold is flexible and relatively soft. If your shield is thick enough for it to be made of gold and still work as an actual shield, then you A. may as well have just sold the gold and gotten better metals, and B. have a problem known as NOT BEING ABLE TO MOVE (as in, you will not be able to get to your death to run away from it). Also, they will likely never stop dragging on the ground, because you won't be able to lift them.

Other than that, sounds like a great idea!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2016, 03:05:36 pm »

Gold is flexible and relatively soft. If your shield is thick enough for it to be made of gold and still work as an actual shield, then you A. may as well have just sold the gold and gotten better metals, and B. have a problem known as NOT BEING ABLE TO MOVE (as in, you will not be able to get to your death to run away from it). Also, they will likely never stop dragging on the ground, because you won't be able to lift them.

Other than that, sounds like a great idea!

Put wheels on the shield, Dwarven !SCIENCE!
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31