Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The First Tools  (Read 863 times)

LlamaLlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The First Tools
« on: December 05, 2015, 12:29:47 pm »

The First Tools (the name of my first dwarf group) started a fortress. It's been 4 years and no immigrants have came, but lots of caravans. It doesn't show the message "no immigrants have come this season." I really need help. There are so many jobs but so little dwarves to work. I don't think I can survive another siege without a casualty.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The First Tools
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:34:06 pm »

Clearly, you need to open a tavern just like this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seriously, though. A tavern will bring in mercenaries, which will help with your military issue, and will get dwarfs socializing, which will solve your labor shortage a dozen or so years down the road.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The First Tools
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:33:18 pm »

What kind of embark location have you travelled to? If its far away from civilisation (aka far away glacier or a island) it will take a veeeery long time for immigrants to arrive, or they may not turn up at all.  :-\

I would personally second cochramd's advice (public areas are a godsend) and additionally build easily configurable 'couple suites' for when your inevitable matchmaking efforts pay off and the pair get married therefore sharing holdings (kill two elk birds with one boulder)

A five bedroom space with two beds occupying 3x3 overlapping slightly on each side with two tables with facing chairs in order to setup maximimum enforced closeness.

Once they are wed, move the other bed somewhere closer (I like to make a T shape with furniture to maximise space in this setup) and put in furniture (cabinets, coffers etc) for your new residents inside the 2 for the price of 1 home, for a final touch remove the additional table and make them share one table across two chairs, with complimentary flooring they should be happy with their luxorious size 5 room.