Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Anyone found a library?  (Read 6607 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone found a library?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 12:34:32 am »

A trip to the continent ruled by the humans of Mauve Kingdom was quite an eye opener.

A vast sprawling metropolis <snip>

An imposing 4 story building which I was soon to discover held two additional basement levels. And row upon row of bookshelves filled to the brim with the secrets of evaporation, reproduction, animal dissection and other such arcane knowledge. Much more impressive than the Dwarvern equivalents I've visited.

wow, NICE.  I'm having a hard time generating large human settlements, they always seem to get stuck in the small to medium town, and rarely get larger than a *, frequently never getting past +.

Maybe I should reduce the number of civs and beasts and savagery to reduce conflict (and perhaps total sites, so they spread out less?).

I generated a few 'smaller' worlds with different conditions, and never saw a max-sized human city.  Best results I got was with minimum civs, savagery, and beasts.  Maximum sites.  This seems to allow more hamlets to feed into the towns?  Not sure.

Anyway, populations usually stabilized around 10000, +/- 2k.  around that time, it seems like wars balance out the total world population.  Best human towns grow up to # size, and then fluctuate back down to * as wars come and go.  I've not seen one get to the largest size yet.  Ran them up to about year 500, or until it looked like they didnt have a chance of making it further.

Maybe I need to work on larger worlds so isolated landmasses can develop without conflict?  This is a derail though, so nevermind too much.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:05:08 am by puke »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 01:06:24 am »

A trip to the continent ruled by the humans of Mauve Kingdom was quite an eye opener.

A vast sprawling metropolis with almost no greenery in between the so-called hamlets and towns. This is what comes of building above ground I suppose. Wandering down the river into the town of Fondledgrasps I enquired as to the whereabouts of the library.

Just a few blocks away I found it. An imposing 4 story building which I was soon to discover held two additional basement levels. And row upon row of bookshelves filled to the brim with the secrets of evaporation, reproduction, animal dissection and other such arcane knowledge. Much more impressive than the Dwarvern equivalents I've visited.

I spent a happy day browsing the aisles and chatting with scholars from far off places before heading off in search of a bar brawl.

Awesome

The science has been done, we should update the wiki artical.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2015, 01:07:20 am »

Maybe I need to work on larger worlds so isolated landmasses can develop without conflict?  This is a derail though, so nevermind too much.

Yep, this was exactly it.  Medium world with fractured islands.  Human civs could grow up in isolation, boomed right up to several max-size cities.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 02:31:37 am »

Yep, this was exactly it.  Medium world with fractured islands.  Human civs could grow up in isolation, boomed right up to several max-size cities.
This would (or should) have the downside of hindering the transfer of knowledge, so while you'll probably get more libraries, they're likely to be much poorer.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 03:36:45 pm »

I have a library in a forest retreat.  Humans conquered it in 104 and a few years later they built the library.  All three of my other libraries are in fortresses.  One of the fortresses was destroyed by a Titan. I'm going to have to check it out to see if there are any books still there.

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2015, 04:14:59 pm »

Not all copies, I've found originals, and I don't know what is up with people not finding mummies. As I said in another thread, doing a search in the gamelog.txt for my df40 folder, my Victorian mod folder, and my df42 folders:

df40 (17 mb): 3 instances of mummy
dfVictorian (40 mb): 11 instances of mummy
df42 (4 mb): 30 instances of mummy

That is taking into account that I'm really good at avoiding being seen and thus avoiding seeing them stand up/raise skeletons, only seeing them as footsteps/sense_creature_class tiles through the walls. There are a lot more than 30 times where I have escaped without seeing the mummy and ran off so it disappeared.

Is that intended btw? For them to vanish after they go too far from the tomb?

Mummies really don't show up at all. I literally walked over a mummy coffin and nothing happened.

But hey, free loot!
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2015, 05:47:36 pm »

I have a library in a forest retreat.  Humans conquered it in 104 and a few years later they built the library.  All three of my other libraries are in fortresses.  One of the fortresses was destroyed by a Titan. I'm going to have to check it out to see if there are any books still there.
Should still be there. The first library I found didn't seem to be affected by the destruction of the fortress it was based in. Scholars kept coming for hundreds of years afterwards. Much like the trading depots I suppose.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2015, 06:05:25 pm »

Not all copies, I've found originals, and I don't know what is up with people not finding mummies. As I said in another thread, doing a search in the gamelog.txt for my df40 folder, my Victorian mod folder, and my df42 folders:

df40 (17 mb): 3 instances of mummy
dfVictorian (40 mb): 11 instances of mummy
df42 (4 mb): 30 instances of mummy

That is taking into account that I'm really good at avoiding being seen and thus avoiding seeing them stand up/raise skeletons, only seeing them as footsteps/sense_creature_class tiles through the walls. There are a lot more than 30 times where I have escaped without seeing the mummy and ran off so it disappeared.

Is that intended btw? For them to vanish after they go too far from the tomb?

Mummies really don't show up at all. I literally walked over a mummy coffin and nothing happened.

But hey, free loot!

Im sure toady knows what hes talking about he is the progammer after all :P
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 07:26:53 pm »

But hey, free loot!
How many have you walked over? I've walked over lots, I find lots of tombs where the coffin is empty, but I raid every tomb I can since I made dorfs build them and can thus gear up my dorf/elf/goblin adventurers with steel goodies while finding books/random jewelry, so I see a lot of mummies.

I used to just kind of casually check when I found the coffin room.

Now I creep around in fear of opening the wrong door or coming down a staircase on top of a coffin.

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2015, 03:12:34 pm »

But hey, free loot!
How many have you walked over? I've walked over lots, I find lots of tombs where the coffin is empty, but I raid every tomb I can since I made dorfs build them and can thus gear up my dorf/elf/goblin adventurers with steel goodies while finding books/random jewelry, so I see a lot of mummies.

I used to just kind of casually check when I found the coffin room.

Now I creep around in fear of opening the wrong door or coming down a staircase on top of a coffin.

So the coffins where empty?

Huh... So where did the corpse go? Just poof?
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2015, 03:21:44 pm »

They probably got woken up before you arrived.

The other day I had a string of 3 tombs with 9 or 10 individual buildings that all had mummies in them, btw. So strings both ways are possible, but I never saw that many in a row before 42.xx
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:27:04 pm by Max™ »

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 11:49:49 pm »

I know you can make them in fort mode, but they're supposed to show up as structures like taverns and mead halls and such right?

I ran into a library in 42.02 in a dwarf fortress. It was on the surface, where a tavern usually is. It was full of books and scholars of all races (human, elf, dwarf, goblin).

...there was no booze.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2015, 12:11:59 am »

Yup, I found a few since then, I actually stopped having dorfs make them cause of all the lag, human ones are interesting, haven't seen an elf one yet, but goblin ones are super peaceful.
Pages: 1 2 [3]