Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Virtual-Reality will pass Poland in 2030  (Read 10727 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual-Reality will pass Poland in 2030
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 07:03:14 pm »

All I can say is remember playing VR games 20 years ago for about $10 a minute.....and basically only the form factor and resolution has changed since then.

I don't really feel like VR has met any real practical need for the average user. Like cellphones and smart phones have. It's great when a developer says they can do their job completely in VR. But that doesn't mean much to anyone who isn't living on the bleeding edge of tech.

Not saying we won't see a paradigm shift in another 15 years. But if VR is going to make a real impact on that time scale, it needs to have an actual application the average person finds a use for. And I seriously don't see virtual playgrounds meeting that requirement. Cell phones put complex (for phones) software in the hands of everyday people and helped them do everyday stuff. If VR isn't going to help people navigate, plan or talk, I don't really see it taking off and becoming part of the cultural zeitgeist.

Education is the one place I see pretty much limitless potential for the technology. And we all know how much at least Americans value investing in education....

plan navigate and talk is likely already in VR, or at least AR like the hololense
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 07:08:21 pm »

And...here we go: Megaton Rainfall. There were unconfirmed rumors at one point that that game, watch the demo, would be compatible with hand tracking systems like leap motion, so that you use no keyboard, no mouse, no controller...you use your hands and those hands you see in teh gaem demo are what you're doing with your hands in real life

Wow that sounds freeken aweful!

Haven't we learned anything from the Xbox 360 and PS3?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 07:10:49 pm »

Poland cannot into cyberspace.

We'll need a lot of factories churning out Virtual Boys if we are ever going to meet that projection.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 07:59:45 am »

People are unimpressed with VR? I've tried an Oculus Rift and it is one of the most amazing pieces of technology I have ever interacted with. I know people have ridiculously high expectations when it comes to VR, but I feel like you might as well complain about how our self-driving cars are boring because they don't fly.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 12:11:46 pm »

People are unimpressed with VR? I've tried an Oculus Rift and it is one of the most amazing pieces of technology I have ever interacted with. I know people have ridiculously high expectations when it comes to VR, but I feel like you might as well complain about how our self-driving cars are boring because they don't fly.
Wait, are you saying that your self-driving car doesn't fly? I guess I need to go talk with that old guy who sold me that modded out DeLorean DMC-12...

:P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 12:39:42 pm »

My problem with VR is that all 3D display technologies are still very much in the YMMVBSFLY category. For example, 3D-movies and glassless displays à la 3DS simply don't work for me: they feel distractingly like watching two overlapping flat images that won't combine, and the overall effect is nothing short of nauseating. Head-mounted VR gadgets are equally bad at creating an immersive 3D-effect, and they really just end up making me as sick as a dog.

0/10, would not get hyped again.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 12:49:03 pm »

Head-mounted VR gadgets are equally bad at creating an immersive 3D-effect, and they really just end up making me as sick as a dog.
It's possible that the Steam VR headset is much better about not making this happen, since they've been putting lots of research into that field for the last decade or so. Supposedly one of the biggest things is just the FPS of the screen, some work has shown that as you keep bumping the FPS higher that it tends to greatly reduce the amount of sickness people feel, though it's not the only factor, of course (head tracking is also another huge one).

That said it certainly looks like if you've had problems with virtual reality sickness that you might want to give the Steam Vive a go at some point, considering all the work they've done into trying to specifically stop that.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 12:53:09 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 12:56:50 pm »

I got to say that I agree with SirQ on this, at least in regards to movies. 3D cinema is horrible and just detracts from the whole experience of ~I CAME HERE TO WATCH A MOVIE GUYS, NOT BE DISTRACTED BY A CHARACTER'S HAND THAT SEEM SLIGHTLY OUT OF PLACE~. I'm ok with head mounted VR devices for the most part, since I don't seem to suffer from motion sickness, but they still make my eyes hurt a little bit after more than an hour and a half of use. Thankfuly its something thats been worked on, but it seems that some companies take VR as a thing that depends mostly on how many pixels and polygons we can show at the same time and that can encompass someone's FOV completely.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 01:05:45 pm »

I agree that 3D movies are the worst (except for Avatar which was the solitary exception) but my experience with VR tech demos is they work pretty well.  Maybe there is a physiological difference that means VR isn't calibrated right for some people but is for others?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 01:13:01 pm »

I got to say that I agree with SirQ on this, at least in regards to movies. 3D cinema is horrible and just detracts from the whole experience of ~I CAME HERE TO WATCH A MOVIE GUYS, NOT BE DISTRACTED BY A CHARACTER'S HAND THAT SEEM SLIGHTLY OUT OF PLACE~.
Strange, I don't experience that in the slightest. I love the newer 3D cinema, to me it's always seemed like I'm looking into a box with the characters in it instead of a flat screen.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 01:38:18 pm »

just end up making me as sick as a dog.

Try Vive once you can demo it. Rift has made lots of people motion sick but Vive has very consistent results of not making people  sick. Reason being, the controllers in your hand are shown by the headset, giving you a real world reference point corresponding to your real life motion. Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't, but a lot of the people saying they've had problems with other headsets claim they don't have problems with vive.

Kind of like seasickness. If you get seasick, go abovedeck and look at the horizon. It doesn't move. It gives you a consistent reference point.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2015, 02:07:01 pm »

Try the new 3DS, which added head-tracking in order to make it not become awful the moment you move your head. It's a marked improvement over what it was originally.
I might try it sometime, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to stick to 2D until an omnibenevolent AI has upgraded my brain with a nanomagical VR-compatibility patch.

But then again, I won't be missing out on much anyway, because DF BEST GAME 2D 5EVAR 10/10 <3<3<3<3<3

EDIT:
Vive's specs are pretty much the same as the Rift's (90hz/1080x1200), so it's probably less than revolutionary. I might try the new VR gadgets that I come across in a tech store or wherever, but it's not very high on my list of priorities.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:21:45 pm by SirQuiamus »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »

But then again, I won't be missing out on much anyway, because DF BEST GAME 2D 5EVAR 10/10 <3<3<3<3<3

I'm curous to see what vr does to 2d gaming. Yes, as you point out, even now some people still play ascii games. But among my circle of gamer friends, we've all been saying since pre-starcraft 2 days that the whole gaming industry is way past due for a new genre. Far too often I've played a "new" game and come away thinking "this is not better than nearly identical games X, Y and Z from 2-7 years ago."

I think it will take more than just the hardware. It might be a while before developers learn the new media, but I wouldn't be surprised if over the next several years a large portion of gamers give up on 2d gaming.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2015, 04:26:33 pm »

Just thought that I'd drop in and drop a link to what Ispil was talking about. This is the SERF you are looking for.

I didn't think that people were still looking for a way of using VR and deadening their body's input to their brain so they can have the simulated ones instead.

I guess that would fix all my issues with VR as it currently exists, but what a leap from here to there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9