Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103447 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #420 on: June 23, 2016, 08:09:51 pm »

The best I've seen is just two polands.  But it was a decent two polands.  Communist Poland was getting the help of the UK to liberate Nazi Germany from regular poland.  And meanwhile I'm sitting in France thinking what the actual fuck.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 23, 2016, 08:14:36 pm »

So, two mods are already out and in development. August Storm, which is a historical realism mod, and East v West, a Cold War mod, both looking very promising.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 23, 2016, 09:46:23 pm »

._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 23, 2016, 10:05:10 pm »

My French Commune game finally ended.  Well I mean the war ended, I wasn't going to keep playing to the end date what with my potato computer maxing out at 2/3 speed bars.  It ran much faster at the start date than later into the game.

Load up a new game as Finland.  They start with 115 available manpower.  I don't mean 115k.  I mean there are exactly a hundred and fifteen Finnish men that can legally be conscripted and are not already deployed.  WTF.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:39:19 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #424 on: June 24, 2016, 06:04:49 am »

TBH getting four Poland doesn't sound that hard. You just need to get Democrats, Fascists and Communists to stage coups at the same time in Neutral Poland.
What baffles me more that how the fuck I am allied to Communist Poland instead of Fascist Poland or at least Neutral Poland. I was allied to the last one and was just waiting for them to peacefully switch to Fascism maybe, but then some other Fascist country staged a coup (how the fuck even, I thought AI doesn't really do that) there.. and that also means some Democratic country (I blame Allies) staged a coup for Democrats and they somehow ended allied with Soviets... and Soviets staged a coup for Communists which ended allied with me and somehow they are now allied with Neutral Poland (which was allied with me) which was one of Anti-Soviet pact signatories WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON.
The worst thing is that all this happened over the course of like three days and I was on maximum speed.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 24, 2016, 12:31:08 pm »

I finally figured out how the whole battle planing thing works with armies, I fucking love it. Holy crap. How did I miss that?

So, it's 1942. WW2 has finally reached America as Japan justifies war. Pearl Harbor doesn't happen, but instead they declare war against the Philippines, which drags the US in.
Which instantly made me ask, 'Why dafuq would they do that?' as they were currently at war with the Soviet Union who gradually push and join in China's defense which causes both sides to pitch into a meat grinder battle, leaving no units to invade the Philippines.
Ah well, time to put the existing ships we have on patrol through the Pacific and go about building forces to help in Europe. France is split between Italy and the Reich currently.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 25, 2016, 04:31:20 am »

I finally figured out how the whole battle planing thing works with armies, I fucking love it. Holy crap. How did I miss that?

So, it's 1942. WW2 has finally reached America as Japan justifies war. Pearl Harbor doesn't happen, but instead they declare war against the Philippines, which drags the US in.
Which instantly made me ask, 'Why dafuq would they do that?' as they were currently at war with the Soviet Union who gradually push and join in China's defense which causes both sides to pitch into a meat grinder battle, leaving no units to invade the Philippines.
Ah well, time to put the existing ships we have on patrol through the Pacific and go about building forces to help in Europe. France is split between Italy and the Reich currently.
A better plan will be to stop Japan first. As long as London don't fall, you should get a larger share of the profits...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #427 on: June 25, 2016, 10:53:36 am »

I have finished my first actual HoI IV game. This time I went for Poland instead of Germany because apparently I have to have control of my own state or else it breaks down in the most amazing way possible (pretty realistic, tbh).
I spent some time becoming fascist and creating Międzymorze, building up some sweet techs and divisions that don't suck and not giving a shit about navy for most part.
The war started in 1939 with Soviet union invading me and failing miserably, though they did force Estonia to capitulate. In mid 1940 Germany "invaded", but funilly enough whole Balkan states (either as Allies or as part of my own faction) was at war with Axis and apparently Greece and Great Britain already started invading in Normandy, so there was laughable amount of German units and I steamrolled (most memorable thing of the game - one of my tanks knocking down Brandenburg gate, hue) straight over all of it. In meantime I staged a Fascist coup in Russia, proceeded to steamroll them and war was basically over by 1942, and all that was left was hunting down remaining Vichy France in Madagascar and Indonesia and finishing off Japan. There was also Finland which joined Axis in 1943 but they got quickly removed too. At the end Soviets lost somewhere next to 8M people I think, and Axis lost 4-5M maybe, while I lost under 1M with my allies accounting for maybe another 1M.

And of course after the peace conference Allied Yugoslavia claimed nearly whole fucking Western Europe, including most of the Germany, all of France, all of Austria, and so on. Fucking Yugoslavia.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 25, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »

"The Continuation War" as the War after the Yalta-Conference was called, bega because territory disagreements between Falangist Poland and the Yugoslavian Empire. Beginning in 1943 it was a conflict that would even overshadow the second world war in its size, ferocity and loss of human lives.
Most Notably Britain and the US abstained from the Conflict due to the losses suffered in previous years.
Anothe roddity of the war was the fierce resistance movement in both Germany and France, both of which were working together, Fascists against Fascists against Fascists a conflict which only strengthened the position of the future Nato-Pact signatories and weakened the position of the central european superpowers of Poland and Yugoslavia.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #429 on: June 25, 2016, 04:00:15 pm »

I should have noted I have set up tiny puppet Fascist Germany with Adolf Hitler as it's leader. :p
Also Russia is my BFF now. I think the only remaining communist country is Spain, it's basically Fascist vs Democratic world. I am inclined to play a while longer because nobody has nukes yet apparently, so no Cold War, but eh, game is slowly starting to slow down.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #430 on: June 25, 2016, 06:59:42 pm »

Game doesn't really go into the Cold War, the nukes are mostly supposed to be an endgame finish-off thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 25, 2016, 08:25:49 pm »

I finished off Canada with two nukes to Edmonton and Winnipeg. Bugger if I'm going to go all the way to conquer them. That ended the war against the allies, remaining for now are Comintern, my own faction the Daitōa Kyōkeiken, the Axis and the Free American Empire, the latter two being at war with each other. Not sure if I want to continue this campaign. Most of the things I wanted to accomplish I did, I have some clay on every continent, nuked someone and most nations are facist. I suppose the Soviet Union still stands in my way and after that I could still beat the other fascists for ultimate world domination but eh.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 28, 2016, 01:26:48 pm »

TFW you're rampaging trough Czechoslovakia as Poland in 38 and the Reich goes and fucks you over by demanding sudeteland and going for the war option. Except they don't declare war but all of the fucking allies do. So now I'm stuck with my forces near Prague and a completely open baltic coast. And for some reason, dislodging a handful of South African and Australian (which got here in under a month, what the hell is up with that) divisions from Danzing is proving to be an issue when I can't commit more troops to it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #433 on: June 28, 2016, 01:36:40 pm »

Around month is the travel time from Australia to Europe by ship, I guess. They could also have been in UK already, because AI apparently can reinforce their Allies even without war if someone nearby is threatening enough.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 28, 2016, 02:53:20 pm »

Makes sense, though. Look at Eastern Europe right now.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 51