Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103615 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2016, 10:41:14 am »

Does garrison work offensively?  I haven't tried that.

Well, it works well to mop up units and border gore, assuming that's what you meant.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2016, 11:06:17 am »

Yeah.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2016, 11:43:53 am »

I've been using the garrison order offensively by leapfrogging armies across each other towards the enemy. Works rather well, and if you want to take a state completely owned by the enemy, just order all your armies to garrison the same area. They'll surge into the area and spread out to claim all the important bits and respond to any counter attacks.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2016, 12:10:32 pm »

I can't seem to make it work.  For instance there are half a dozen scattered territories in the interior of africa I never bothered to conquer because they are empty desert.  I added them to the garrison zone of my african army.  The african army did  nothing.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 10, 2016, 12:47:58 pm »

I can't seem to make it work.  For instance there are half a dozen scattered territories in the interior of africa I never bothered to conquer because they are empty desert.  I added them to the garrison zone of my african army.  The african army did  nothing.

Garrisoned forces move solely to hole up in cities/bases. Empty space, like the farmlands in Mid-America, get passed over until the enemy moves in. When an enemy moves in only a handful of your divisions in the army assigned to the garrison will respond. The larger the enemy, the larger the response. This is how its supposed to work, I think; I tested this by assigning all the national guard units America starts with to an army to get them garrisoning the continental US and to get them training, the general moved a few divisions to fortify the major cities and just let them sit there until Mexican (i supported the Mexican rebels, Viva la Capitalism!) forces moved into Texas, upon which all the nearby units moved to defend.

I think I should perform more mechanics !science! later, but this is how it appeared to work in my test game.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2016, 01:50:26 pm »

They still need to make that Alien expansion anyhow. For historical accuracy.

---

Ok I am watching a letsplay (because I don't know if I should get this yet) and the person is playing Germany... WW2 has officially started... and he has almost taken over all of Europe.

and STILL the allies have yet to as much as bother him for a cup of tea. It isn't like these countries aren't part of the allies (though they often ally AFTER war is declared, which is kind of silly)

What gives?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:36:56 pm by Neonivek »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 10, 2016, 02:52:57 pm »

I wouldn't expect any country that isn't France, UK, or USSR to make an serious offensive contributions to the allied war effort.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 10, 2016, 02:54:06 pm »

I wouldn't expect any country that isn't France, UK, or USSR to make an serious offensive contributions to the allied war effort.

Yeah but none of them have done anything either. (well the USSR is part of the Axis right now)

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 10, 2016, 03:15:38 pm »

In one of my games, the Mexican Opposition invaded and successfully liberated the entirety of Africa and Middle East and pushed the allied Soviet-Nazi war machine all the way into deep Russia, Asia and Berlin before their war machine eventually stumbled and got pushed back to Iraq.

It can happen.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2016, 03:30:01 pm »

Yeah but none of them have done anything either. (well the USSR is part of the Axis right now)

I require more experience to thoughtfully answer this, however, from my current empirical observations the only offensive the brits participated in was the invasion of Italy which raged inconclusively for 3 years before the USSR bailed them out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2016, 03:31:04 pm »

Ahhh, so the person is playing on historical mode... but messed up history...

Yet the game doesn't recognize when history has taken it right up the butt?

It explains why they attacked Italy.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 10, 2016, 03:51:28 pm »

The battle planning is quite intuitive I think, not to mention that you can pretty effectively still micro your forces if you want. Air combat is abstracted... Im okay with that really.

Battle planning - and yet it is very common to make attack line face wrong direction (capture land you don't want and don't capture one you want) if you don't start and end drawing on your front line. Also, try making battle plan for breakthrough. Others already mentioned '1 division everywhere, all others in single province' problem. I love the idea of almost no micro, but execution is as usual - horrible. After a while I only create front lines with some never executed attack orders and micro all the way.
Air combat - abstracted is ok, problem is UI is a disaster and doesn't show anything. You are gimping yourself if you don't learn mechanics behind it - creating wings with 100+ planes, assigning more than 6 wings per 'air province' etc. Both creates so much unnecessary micro. They also need to add ability to make orders in multiple 'air provinces' for a single wing.
Another micro generating situation - most expansive players will try to use a single army with supression divisions to garrison all the rebelling states. Please tell me why AI stockpile a lot of those divisions in unnecessary provinces, leaving half of the others empty and not moving until actual rebellion. Even though they have enough divisions to put 0 rebellion gain everywhere.

I was talking about that sort of execution stuff. Not their actual gameplay ideas.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2016, 04:49:49 pm »

Ahhh, so the person is playing on historical mode... but messed up history...

Yet the game doesn't recognize when history has taken it right up the butt?

It explains why they attacked Italy.

Well... Things went pretty well, and until 1941 everything went historically except the Dutch holding out. Then shit really hit the fan, Barbarossa never fired, and neither did Pearl Harbor, sending the game into a crazy alternate timeline.

EDIT:

The battle planning is quite intuitive I think, not to mention that you can pretty effectively still micro your forces if you want. Air combat is abstracted... Im okay with that really.

Battle planning - and yet it is very common to make attack line face wrong direction (capture land you don't want and don't capture one you want) if you don't start and end drawing on your front line. Also, try making battle plan for breakthrough. Others already mentioned '1 division everywhere, all others in single province' problem. I love the idea of almost no micro, but execution is as usual - horrible. After a while I only create front lines with some never executed attack orders and micro all the way.
Air combat - abstracted is ok, problem is UI is a disaster and doesn't show anything. You are gimping yourself if you don't learn mechanics behind it - creating wings with 100+ planes, assigning more than 6 wings per 'air province' etc. Both creates so much unnecessary micro. They also need to add ability to make orders in multiple 'air provinces' for a single wing.
Another micro generating situation - most expansive players will try to use a single army with supression divisions to garrison all the rebelling states. Please tell me why AI stockpile a lot of those divisions in unnecessary provinces, leaving half of the others empty and not moving until actual rebellion. Even though they have enough divisions to put 0 rebellion gain everywhere.

I was talking about that sort of execution stuff. Not their actual gameplay ideas.

Yep, agreed.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2016, 07:12:29 am »

It's funny how the Spanish Civil war can fuck up a game just as it starts. As Poland, you need that early land grab, regardless of who it is, but you need it, to do so you need to go either commie or facist and pick on a country before tension gets high enough that the allies autoguarantee anyone you look at funny.

Thing is, if nationalists win the war the tension jumps right up to around 40%, sometimes as early as mid '37, hell, I didn't even flip my country by then, let alone start justifying war against someone. There's not much you can really do at that point because you can't go after any of the smaller neighbouring countries and you can't really hope the big boys leave you alone when the time to carve up your land comes around :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2016, 12:50:56 pm »

Minors need some more attention to nation foci. I tried my hand at Fascist Argentina, and while it went okay it just felt I had to wait about three years to really get in to the game. It would be nice if it were faster to change ideology at the start as well as get war declarations. I'm going to abandon that game because it was just moving so incredibly slowly.

Personally, while it's not as in-depth at HOI 3 (right now anyways) it's got a ton of potential, and--for me--could end up there with CKII in my hours played given the amount of DLC expected of this beast.

I might give Japan a go, as it seems they always manage to mess up in my games. I played this last game without historical focus on and Germany got bogged down hard... It seems that AI is Paradox's main focus for the next update at least.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 51