Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103530 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2016, 03:48:18 pm »

Seems to be a fair amount of alternative histories available in this. I was watching twitch last night where someone was playing as Imperial Mexico. They decided to invade USA around '42-43, and who should turn up to protect the Yank convoys? Australia of all people.

Japan had decided to make a proper go at China, got bogged down and never really went went south, so the Aussies decided that patrolling the Caribbean/Panama was totally within their wartime sphere of influence. Nice role reversal there :). The guy playing had to crash, but I would have loved to have seen how it all turned out.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 03:49:54 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2016, 04:35:37 pm »

In a reversal from historical plausibility, Spain emerges from the civil war way stronger then it was going in.  For one thing both spainish factions will probably do the industrialization descisions.  This adds up to 12 factories to spain, which is a lot.  You can also move to wartime mobalization which helps a lot.  The big problem is that you are resource poor and will have to pay for imports if you want foreign equipment.  So make sure you have enough civilian factories to afford the imports for any new military factories you build.  Civilian factories cost twice as much as military ones.  I was paying out the nose for tungsten which just makes me sad.

I'm kinda disappointed that food and th various nazi atricities a la hunger pllan arent in.

I'm not.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2016, 06:37:40 pm »

Is it just me or do nukes do fuck all? I've dropped three on Russia so far, and as far as I can tell, they don't reduce population, infrastructure, factories, airbases etc. at all in a province, and they don't do anything to units in a province. Seems like they're a huge waste. Which sucks, because I rushed them as the Neo-Ottoman Empire to help us Axis folks have a chance, but as far as I can tell the only thing they do apart from lowering national unity by a small amount is graphical.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:45:32 pm by Glloyd »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2016, 10:37:38 pm »

National unity is important.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2016, 03:19:12 am »

Is it just me or do nukes do fuck all?

From the Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-49th-development-diary-18th-of-march-2016.914324/

Hits national unity making the target nation more likely to surrender (amount depends on victory point worth and infrastructure level, so you cant just nuke some island they don't care about). This is really their primary use: to force surrender on a stubborn enemy.
    Damages building. Everything from forts to naval bases to factories.
    Damages any units in the province, including airplanes stationed in bases.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2016, 03:31:53 am »

Nukes ruin the org of units in the same province, so if you nuke someone as you're attacking into them, it can force them to retreat. They tend to recover org pretty fast though. Their main use is lowering the national unity of the country you're attacking, which is what determines the percentage of victory points you need to take from them before they capitulate. You can use nukes to bring Soviet Russia's national unity from 90% to 30% or so, which is huge. It's a lot easier to take 30% of their victory points than 90%.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2016, 05:48:56 am »

Is trade really that broken? If you have 80% export, you are 'exporting' that full 80% of your resources (you are losing them) even though no one buys them and you are not getting factories for them?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2016, 06:46:16 am »

That isn't broken, unbalanced maybe, but it makes perfect sense. Free economy means a lot of the resources will go to the civilan market and will be out of your control, which also opens them up for export if somebody wishes to buy from you. You get other benefits from it tho, but I'm not sure that they outweigh the big hit to the resources. It's probably meant as a thing to boost development and build up for war before switching to a more controlled economy and kicking equipment production into high gear.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2016, 08:57:35 am »

My Republican Spain play-through has reached 1940. It's not looking great for Europe. Not only have the traditional allies fallen, (Poland, France, etc.), but Germany also just gobbled up the Swiss.
I stayed (mostly) out of the way, sending a few of my brand-new Spanish motor/panzer divisions that did very well against the Italians on the southern front, but they returned home after France capitulated.
Now an army of 150 German/Vichy divisions sit on our borders looking very... hungry.
I probably should have recruited more than 45 divisions.
I probably should have built some forts along the border.
And at this point, I should probably focus less on mobile units like trucks and tanks, and more on static defenses like artillery and AT guns.

Germany's national focus is on Northern Europe (Norway etc., but I don't imagine they would be slowed down too long if they decided to grab the Iberian  :-*
The question now is: how much longer do I have?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2016, 09:07:45 am »

The Spanish border with France is very defensible. You can probably hold out for a while.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2016, 09:45:19 am »

I'm a little disappointed.

As Mexico, I joined Comintern. Finland somehow joined the Allies so when SU invaded Finland, that kicked off the whole thing.

Fight with USA is pretty much even, in autumn 1940. Somewhat goofy but whatever. I've advanced deep into Texas. USA is outbuilding me but apparently has worse divisions.

Then in spring 1941 my communist coup plot finally fires and everything west of the mississippi (sans texas, which I'm slowly finishing off) switches to the communist states of america, including all of the US divisions that were there (dozens). war is pretty much a foregone conclusion now. CSA immediately joins comintern so the American Civil War gets folded into the whole Soviet Invasion of Finland.

It really feels too easy.

Force-wise I have yet to see a reason to build anything but 100% infantry armies.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2016, 11:17:19 am »

The US is incredibly weak until they clear out their debuffs, progress down their national focus tree, and reform their laws. A lot of things are gated behind them being at war, too. If you catch them early, you can march straight to Washington without any issues. Try playing as them sometime to get a feel for just how hamstrung they are early on. They don't really pick up steam until about 6 months into their first war.

As Fascist Canada, I can usually force the USA to capitulate by 1940, but they always join the Allies in the last couple of months and drag the UK into my war, which is annoying, as the Brits have a tendency to try to mount a reverse D-Day over and over again.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2016, 05:31:22 pm »

I had an incredibly fun game as Italy forming the new roman empire. I had a massive chunk of europe before the UK cleaned up Germany and decided to come slap me on the wrist for being bad. It was my fault really, I kicked off world war 2 way too early

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2016, 08:20:42 pm »

Is trade really that broken? If you have 80% export, you are 'exporting' that full 80% of your resources (you are losing them) even though no one buys them and you are not getting factories for them?

Free trade is super awesome.  Yeah you give up a few resources but you can use your awesome buff to factories to buy replacements.  Factories running at higher efficiency produce more with the same resources.  And you get a tech boost.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2016, 08:55:33 pm »

Picked up this game on impulse. WOW, it's fantastic! I worried about the "dumbed down" effect, but I've got to say I'm enjoying the heck out of my first game. Air wings can be a bit finicky and battle plans are harder to set than I'd like, but overall a fantastic sequel! I'm looking forward to the DLC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1936: Scoopbeard assumes the Netherlandish Ministership. Colonial garrisons are recalled to continental Holland for reorganization.

1937-1938: Vast reforms modernize the Dutch military, several warships are decommissioned, Amsterdam awards Fokker several lucrative aviation contracts.

1939: Poland falls. The Netherlands join Great Britain and France in the Allies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1940 - part 1: France falls

1940 - part 2: Belgium falls.

1940 - part 3: Germany advances as far as the Hollands Diep in the South and Zwolle in the East.

1940 - part 4: Germany invades Denmark. Declares war on Sweden and Finland. Great Britain withdraws the BEF from continental Europe.

1941 - part 1: The German armed forces are endlessly entangled in the slow-moving war in Scandinavia. The invasion of Sweden begins.

1941 - part 2: With the help of in-transit BEF forces, US Volunteer Light Infantry, and various British colonial forces the Dutch army launches counter offensives over the Hollands Diep and retakes Eindhoven in the South; Advance all the way to their pre-war borders in the East.

1941 - part 3: Great Britain invades Italy, occupies Lombardy--taking the cities of Florence, Milan, and Genoa. Germany intervenes. Germany commences a massive invasion of the Balkans targeting Yugoslavia, Greece, and British Occupied Zones.

1941 - part 4: Intense fighting continues in the Middleburg-Goes region. Several massive German assaults are easily repulsed by, in some cases, better trained and better equipped Dutch elements.

With 27 infantry brigades, substantial land fortifications, and an air force fielding 1000+ aircraft the Dutch have turned their home country in to a veritable fortress. Well, I have anyways. My only real problem is lack of land forces--and I'm not talkin' sheer competitive number, obviously I'll never be able to compete with the Axis Powers in size, but I don't have enough brigades to play the encirclement game. Aside from defending/counterattacking in Holland I am limited to my response until (hopefully) the US enters the war.

EDIT: Getting through '42, but crashes galore. Not fun.

EDIT2:

1942 - part 1: USA enters the conflict, reinvigorating the Allies.

1942 - part 2: The size of the Dutch Airforce continues to grow, perhaps surpassing that even of Great Britain's. GB invades German-held Dunkirk, expanding the Dutch Beachhead.

1942 - part 3: Belgium is liberated... and with it tens of thousands of Belgian and French volunteer forces. The Dutch command system is overhauled, with almost all dutch forces being placed in the Army of the East, and all the volunteer forces in the Army of The South. The army of the South retakes Belgium and pushes to link up with the expanded Anglo-Francais beachhead.

1942 - part 4: Stretched thin, the German Army cannot hope to cope with the Dutch invasion. Division upon division collapse as veteran Dutch infantry march into Northwest Germany. The Army of the East races across Westphalia and Saxony capturing Dortmund, Munster, and Bremen. They cross the Elbe and capture Hamburg, a symbolic victory.

a942 - part 5: In the South, American forces shore up the precarious British invasion of Italy after they are halted less than a mile from Rome. Great Britain breaks the German wave flooding down into the Balkans just north of the Greek border. In the North, the Germans continue to make agonizing headway against the swedes. With so many experienced elements tied up, the world holds it breath as Dutch and British forces approach the closest to Berlin since the start of the war.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:19:02 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 51