Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Paper-Making 101  (Read 17880 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paper-Making 101
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 12:40:23 am »

I had no problems with seeds...I was using hemp (playing as humans) and it worked just fine and left behind seeds

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 09:40:23 am »

So, is anyone else finding that making paper doesn't leave behind seeds?   I've tried it with both papyrus at the Farmer's Workshop, and ramie at a quern; in both cases I get paper (or mush) out, but no seeds...

I could take a second to research and make sure I'm right, but effort. However, my understanding is that papyrus pages are actual leaves, potentially treated and shaped, but still just the leaf itself. Unless the elves bring you papyrus seeds, I don't expect you will be able to collect them. Unless they are tested like fruit on trees...

Never mind, it's made from the stem.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:54:55 am by Brody »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2015, 09:46:23 am »

Maybe the problem is that you've reached your cap for the number of seeds in your fort?

By default you can't have more than 3000 seeds and any further ones aren't created.  That can be changed in one of the init files.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2015, 01:27:51 pm »

There is also a much lower limit for each seed type...the 3000 cap is global and the default is like...100 of each seed type I think? might be higher

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 01:30:58 pm »

There is also a much lower limit for each seed type...the 3000 cap is global and the default is like...100 of each seed type I think? might be higher
The limit is 200 for each type of seed.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2015, 02:38:31 pm »

Maybe the problem is that you've reached your cap for the number of seeds in your fort?

By default you can't have more than 3000 seeds and any further ones aren't created.  That can be changed in one of the init files.

It's definitely not that - I was trying this in a new-founded fort.

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 05:38:57 pm »

According to the raws, 1 seed is produced when you: "make sheet from plant" and "mash plant into slurry", though the slurry to paper does not yield another seed (unsurprisingly).
Spoiler: raws (click to show/hide)

I think the sheet from plant is the papyrus, well the mash plant to slurry is pressing of cloth plants (pigtail, hemp, etc). It's possible they grabbed the seed right before you saw it in the workshop, so you didn't see it (as some dwarf was hauling it).

Edit: Also, I think paper wise papyrus is the easiest to make paper from, but you have to have it on site (or have it traded to your fort that's on a site that can plant it, but it's not local for some reason). If you're site can't grow papyrus, the plants->slush->paper is just as renewable, but has more steps (and can be done underground), and then parchment is nice if you have a surplus of the needed boulders and use hunting/breeding as a food source (as it uses skin).

They are kinda akin to fuel, in that you have one that is not found everywhere (papyrus/magma), one that can be found pretty much everywhere (slurry/charcoal), and one that you have to dig up and process a bit (parchment/coke). (not an exact match, just a bit of a parallel).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:53:20 pm by Aranna »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2015, 06:04:31 pm »

Can you decorate books? I really want them to be encrusted with gems and bone spikes.

Maybe you can.

I haven't reached bookmaking yet, but I have purchased a scroll that had decorations.  So there is low-level support for them.

An Introduction to Division (copy)
This is a finely-crafted pig tail scroll.  It is made from pig tail cloth.  The thread is midnight blue with dimple dye.  The rollers are made from graphite.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of finely-crafted river otter bone and menaces with spikes of serpentine and finely-crafted tanzanite.
Written on the item is a manual entitled An Introduction to Division, authored by Kivish Whippedpage.  It concerns an algorithm for dividing one number into another, possibly yielding a remainder.  The writing is forceful.  Overall, the prose is passable.

So a gem decoration, a bone decoration, and decorative spikes.  Just no bone spikes.  Let's call that a 75% score.

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2015, 07:06:56 pm »

I think the sheet from plant is the papyrus, well the mash plant to slurry is pressing of cloth plants (pigtail, hemp, etc). It's possible they grabbed the seed right before you saw it in the workshop, so you didn't see it (as some dwarf was hauling it).

I double-checked to make sure, and there's definitely no seed being produced.   This time I tried it with kenaf.   Gonna try it with some other plants and see if any of them produce seeds - I suspect there's something missing in the raws...

ETA: Tried it with pig tails and got seeds.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:22:44 pm by asnys »

kpenguin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2015, 07:39:26 pm »

Has anyone had dwarves make multipage codices? My dwarves have done the whole make sheet -> make sheet into quire -> write on quire -> bind into codex thing, but all the codices I get are one page each. Hardly worth binding into books.

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2015, 07:42:28 pm »

Okay, I think I've figured out what's going on.   I spotted the following text in the RAW for Pig Tails but not for Papyrus:

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEED_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
I added that to Papyrus and now I get seeds.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »

Has anyone had dwarves make multipage codices? My dwarves have done the whole make sheet -> make sheet into quire -> write on quire -> bind into codex thing, but all the codices I get are one page each. Hardly worth binding into books.

Assuming that a 'quire' is the same thing that I know of as a 'signature', a single sheet can be folded into quite a few pages -- 16 or 32 are not uncommon
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2015, 08:53:34 pm »

I've seen books with hundreds of pages, but not authored by my dwarves, brought by elf entertainers or caravans.  I think if your Scholar is good enough, he would write a multi-page quire, but I think it would still end up being a single item, for the purposes of "Bind Book".

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2015, 09:27:50 pm »

I would think its maybe related to the writing skill? Possibly the skill related to the topic even or maybe a bit of both. I have yet to see anyone with a high level in writing or philosophy really...maybe do an embark with a proficient writer who is proficient in one philosophy to see if he writes something worthy?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]