Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Paper-Making 101  (Read 17876 times)

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Paper-Making 101
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:19:36 pm »

You see, I have these scholars that enjoy deep discussion on the true nature of levers and I would like my scribe to log these intellectual ventures, but he can't due to a severe lack of paper. I don't want to go for parchment or papyrus because of their lack of swag, so I want to make paper codices for my dwarves. I have ample supplies of plump helmets and pig tails, but I find that I cannot crush those plants into a slurry at my quern for the production of paper. So I ask you this: which plants can be used in the paper-making process?
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paper-Making 101
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 01:28:27 pm »

I have the opposite problem - plenty of paper ready for writing but my scholar rarely thinks.

I remember seeing pig tail parchment, but I don't know how to create it yet.  I bought most of my paper from traders, converted it to a quire (2200 dwarf buck tiger parchment quire), and now I can't create a book because I need a "written-on quire". 

Thelegendofawesome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:37:04 pm »

Same problem as Calathar, though not as much paper, but enough. he is discussing things, but not much thinking or writing.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:59:09 pm »

ToadyOne replies
We have three branches for the release: papyrus, paper (from cloth plants) and parchment.  Papyrus is easier to use if you can find it on the map (you make sheets directly at the farmer's workshop.  Otherwise you'll have to set up a mill+press for paper (mill to slurry, press slurry to sheet), or go through the parchment process:  calcium carbonate stones at kiln -> quicklime, quicklime at ashery -> milk of lime, hide + milk of lime at tanner -> parchment sheet.  Currently in the game, a parchment sheet is called a "vellum sheet" when made from a cow (of any age).  Otherwise, it is called "<animal> parchment sheet".  These materials can currently only be use to make quires or scrolls (with rollers).  Then you can bind the quires into codices with bindings.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 04:36:21 pm »

...paper (from cloth plants)...

Thank you very much
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 04:46:29 pm »

Wait a minute... what stockpile category does slurry go into? My dwarves just leave it lying at the quern without stockpiling it...

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 05:01:28 pm »

You'd probably have to make a custom stockpile for it like I had to do with the few parchments I got in trade with the humans.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 10:19:59 pm »

P.S., can book bindings be made from materials other than stone and wood?

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 11:28:46 pm »

According to the Embark screen Book Bindings, Scroll Rollers, and Bookcases can be made from Metal, Wood, and Stone (or at least, you can embark with them). They are tools, so I'd guess you'd make the Stone/Wood ones in the Craftdwarf's Workshop, and the Metal ones in the Metalsmith's Forge (I've not embarked as of yet).

Edit: I embarked and it looks like (at least on my current save) that they can be made at the following workshops:
Instrument Piece: (Magma) Glass Furnace, (Magma) Kiln, (Magma) Forge, Craftdwarf's Workshop, Mason's Workshop, Leather Works.
Instrument: (Magma) Glass Furnace, (Magma) Kiln, and Craftdwarf's Workshop.
So I'm guessing that the pieces could be made from Glass (Glass Furnace), Ceramic (Kiln), Metal (Forge), Stone (Mason's/Craftdwarf's?), Leather (Leatherworks) and Wood (Craftdwarf's?). Edit: Bone (Craftdwarf's workshop?)
Also, might as well note:
Bookcase: (Magma) Forge {Other Items}, (Magma) Glass Furnace, Craftdwarf's Workshop {Stone}, Carpenter's Workshop
Book Bindings: (Magma) Forge {Other Items}, (Magma) Glass Furnace, Craftdwarf's Workshop {Wood/Stone}
Scroll Rollers: (Magma) Forge {Other Items}, (Magma) Glass Furnace, Craftdwarf's Workshop {Wood/Stone}
Quire: Craftdwarf's Workshop
Scroll: Craftdwarf's Workshop
Bind Book: Craftdwarf's Workshop
Quicklime: (Magma) Kiln
Sheet: Farmer's Workshop
Parchment: Tanner's Shop

Edit #2: I glanced at the example raws, also looks like there is Bone instrument pieces as well (Craftdwarf's Workshop?)

Edit #3: I looked at the item_tool raws, and in regards to the quote: Book Bindings have the tag [HARD_MAT], wiki says "Presumably prevents the item from being made from cloth, silk, or leather". [HARD_MAT] is also found on the Hive, Nest Box, Pot, and Jug so I assume anything that they can be made from can also be used to make the Book Bindings (and scroll roller).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:20:33 am by Aranna »

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 01:47:08 pm »

It is the "Sheets" stockpile, I suspect.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 05:03:10 pm »

Are there any paper-producing plants besides papyrus? My elven, human, and dwarven caravans haven't brought any papyrus yet.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 05:10:12 pm »

Are there any paper-producing plants besides papyrus? My elven, human, and dwarven caravans haven't brought any papyrus yet.
You can make paper out of any cloth-producing plant.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 05:37:15 pm »

You can make paper out of any cloth-producing plant.

Awesome, thank you

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 06:46:39 pm »

Any word if milling plants to a slurry produces seeds? I'm debating starting up a paper industry to make a library, but curious if it's one of those things I'll need to keep an eye on in case I accidentally lose all the seed opportunities and thus run out of plants.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 12:28:24 am »

According to the Embark screen Book Bindings, Scroll Rollers, and Bookcases can be made from Metal, Wood, and Stone (or at least, you can embark with them). They are tools, so I'd guess you'd make the Stone/Wood ones in the Craftdwarf's Workshop, and the Metal ones in the Metalsmith's Forge (I've not embarked as of yet).

Edit #2: I glanced at the example raws, also looks like there is Bone instrument pieces as well (Craftdwarf's Workshop?)

Yes, Stone/Wood book bindings and scroll rollers are made in the Craftsdwarf's workshop, using the Stone/Wood crafting skills. Bone instrument pieces are also made in the Craft workshop, using Bone Carving.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'
Pages: [1] 2 3 4