Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Quarry bushes  (Read 6177 times)

stealthsilent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quarry bushes
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:48:38 am »

I thought quarry bushes are supposed to get you tons and tons and tons and tons of food, but I'm planting them and they barely get me any. Barely. Also I can't plant them in sequence because the next gen destroyed the previous gen, so i plant them in rotation. But the food I'm getting isn't worth having like 40 pieces of farmed land, it's useless. Meat and eggs(which also don't produce super ton of foodz) get me a food stockpile of 2k over, which is good, but I need more. Why don't quarry bushes work, I thought they are supposed to get you good food.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry bushes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 03:51:22 am »

Quarry bushes need to be processed into bags in order to get their food item, which can then be cooked for super valuable food. So long as you have bags you can get a ton, but I tend to find I run out of bags really fast, so it can be hard maintaining them.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

stealthsilent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 03:53:03 am »

NO  yea, i did that. I had 50+ bags, and i processed everything. No, it's the output that was bad, maybe 400 food per cycle, that sucks big time, it's nothing like the butchery.

stealthsilent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:06:42 am »

I've tested the stupid game out. I planted 4 fields of: 2 fields spring and summer, and 2 fields autumn; quarry bushes. It didn't get me a lot of food. Barely any, it's not worth it because you need like 3 dwarves to do all the work when you can just kill animals on the screen once in a while, and get 50 food each animal. On wikipedia it told me I'd have more food than i can handle... I didn't.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 04:24:15 am »

I assume your fortress is very new?

This was taken from Wikipedia, under the "Yield and Fertilization" -section:

Many crops, like quarry bushes, are impossible to farm effectively in the beginning without fertilizer.

So, yes, Quarry Bushes do provide good amount of food, but you basically need good farmers to harvest and perhaps some fertilization...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

stealthsilent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 05:58:03 am »

Some? No I'm not new. No I guarantee you, the quarry bush farm doesn't make a lot of food, it isn't worth the effort. Potash makes the job even harder putting all my men towards farming, and that's exactly the opposite of what is good.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 10:30:30 am »

I understand your frustration, but in my opinion you're being quite abrasive at the moment.

Toady has said in the updates that lots of systems have been changed, and I read on a thread just recently that the "Plants Raw" was changed, so maybe that's the culprit?
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 10:33:24 am »

A word of caution: in some past versions of DF, there was a bug that caused seeds not to be yielded from processing the plants to a bag, making the fort inevitably run out of rock nuts to plant.

Which DF version are you on right now?  Is it a completely fresh install or did you overwrite a past version with the one you have at the moment?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 11:16:17 am »

Was always under the impression was that quarry leaves made large stacks, not large number of meals. Larger stacks are a benefit because you end up saving stockpile space when cooking the leaves. If you want lots of food, go for turkey eggs or plump helmets.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 11:48:49 am »

Rock nuts are the best! 

Quarry Bush Leaf values at 10 compared to most plants that are 2, 1 and some are 4.

It's a longer process.
Rock Nuts > farm plot > Quarry Bush > farmer shop + bag -> Quarry Bush Leaf + Rock Nuts.

1 Farm Plot tile can yield from 0 to 6 Quarry Bush (plants) depending on the Grower planting the seed (iirc).
Fertilizing with Potash increase the tile 1 to 3, so up to 50%. 

Processing job Quarry Bush + bag yield x5 "Quary Bush Leaf" of the Quarry Bush stack. 

So the theoretical 1 tile farm plot yields 9 Quarry Bush, processed into a bag for 45 Quary Bush Leaf.

It's sustainable long term.

Barring of course if there is bug in the a procress to bag to yield rock nuts.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 10:43:46 pm »

Pretty sure a level 10 farmer with a 4x4 of quarry bushes is able to crap metric tons of leaves out for food supply... as of last version, havent sucessfully played this version yet to test changes.

Though reading OP post.
So you have a 4x10 plot that is cycling between plants between seasons?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:47:45 pm by Linkxsc »

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 10:53:40 pm »

Yeah, it probably has to do with farmer proficiency. In all my forts I sell food and after a point, it seems most of it is quarry bush leaves. You also get spammed with quarry bush masterpiece warnings if you have a legendary cook.

Sucks to have to micromanage the process plants to bag thing. Why can't more of these things be automatic like gathering webs?

stealthsilent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 11:04:16 pm »

Really? I think quarry bushes just have large stacks, like that guy said, and doesn't make a lot of food. But the other guys are saying they produce 1k+ food really fast so you have to expand your food storage space constantly every so often.

No, I have EXACTLY the latest version, and everything is clean, and I can play the game pretty well, but I just want to know which is the BEST food industry, because I tried eggs, they work every season or something, not enough. Meat works super well, You just bring a sword with you, and you cut a animal or something ~ 6 Times a season, which is really good, you don't need 2-3 people working on the farm, you barely need 1 person, with no skills.

Plump helmets work really good, you just need a lot of containers and the guy makes them constantly. And they go up 3k+ after 1-2 years or something, but food. I need a constant source that will give me 2k+ after 2 years, something where no matter how much people i have, the food is growing much faster than people can eat them, just like plump helmets.

But no, quarry bushes aren't booming for me, they, barely work.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 11:34:26 pm »

You are cooking the quarry bushes right? As the leaves alone are inedible.

And srsly, with a pair of farmers working 50 tiles total (split across helmets, pigtails, bushes, pods n wheat) so 10 bush tiles. Each harvesting im getting about 400-500 units of leaves a year (about 3 harvests. No fertilizer) which are then acting as filler in roasts made with other products.

Also 3k helmets after 2 years... that seems like a bit of a stretch to me, 1 master farmer can work what, 30 or so tiles? Fulltime. Get maybe 5-6 harvests a year, 30plotsx6harvestsx6plantsperharvest. Is only about 1000 a year. And thats perfect fulltime farming.

Also why is 2k a year so important? That is a shitload of food. What do you have 250 dwarves?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:38:59 pm by Linkxsc »

stealthsilent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 11:51:29 pm »

No it's just easier to have a whole bunch of food, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I can do other things.
Pages: [1] 2 3