Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth  (Read 11305 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2008, 08:30:00 pm »

Not a clue.  I think it may be more or less random.  Only Toady can say for sure.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

1st Granite, 1053
Surath glanced at the crude calendar in her office and couldn't believe her eyes when she saw that it was already the 1st of Granite, the start of the third year in this wasteland.  The toad was still interrupting dwarves on a regular basis, and to top it all off, Jusk and Kroma insisted that they couldn't shoot anything in water, which was why the cursed thing was still around.  But at least she'd managed to get them to help her begin planning an approach that would allow either them, the wrestlers or the dogs to get close enough to bring it down.

Like the previous year, Surath gathered all the dwarves together in the dining room (as the only room large enough to hold all of them) for the celebration.  Unlike the previous year, however, she decided to open with a summary of the hamlet's net wealth.

Created Wealth: 140,689*
Weapons: 45*
Armor & Garb: 300*
Furniture: 41,760*
Other Objects: 31,001*
Architecture: 25,639*
Displayed: 3,244*
Held/Worn: 38,700*

Imported Wealth: 84,192*
Exported Wealth: 3,458*

"This past year has been marked by both tragedy and joy, as the last was not.  But we are fortunate that only one life was claimed, and that a new life was given to us in exchange.  As all of you are aware by now, by the Queen's command none of those who come here may leave before we locate the ever elusive adamantine.  It is by no means certain that that precious ore is present in these mountains and indeed the odds are greatly against it.  But we won't give up!  We are dwarves, members of the greatest dwarven kingdom in the history of the world!  By the honor of our forefathers and foremothers we will succeed or die!"

The listening dwarves glanced at each other.  Some were clearly not in favor of the decision, others hesitant, some in agreement.  Looking at them, Surath could see that her words had not had the effect she had intended.  The next few months would clearly be tense, stressful times.

---------------------------
Legendary Dwarves:
Surath -> Legendary Record Keeper

[ January 29, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

11th Granite, 1053
The Elves had returned, making good on the threat of the year before.  Sighing, Surath went to meet them, hoping they had wood.  For the new plan to kill the toad was sure to be a success...whenever Jusk and Kroma stopped eating, drinking, and sleeping long enough to do the job.  But even so, it would be several years before the tower-caps were ready to harvest and, until then, the metal and glass forges would be starving for wood.

Kroma ran up to Surath as she passed.  "Don't forget my goat!"

"If the Elves have one.  Nothing is guaranteed with those tree-worshippers."

There were no goats, or animals of any kind, but Surath did buy the single log the Elves had brought, as well as the plants.  They could never have too many ingredients for booze, she thought.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

19th Granite, 1053
The war dogs chained at the main entrance suddenly went berserk in the late evening, snapping and snarling and generally making it impossible for the vermin-like goblin thief to....Goblin!  How had the goblin slavers found them here?  Fortunately Nosey and one of the other wrestlers were but feet away and dispatched the goblin with little effort.  But the event disturbed the dwarves.  The obvious target of the slaver was little Lokum, liberated from the goblin's bag.  But if one goblin had found them, more were sure to follow.  And goblins, unlike the annoying kobolds, were nasty opponents.  

Surath called Arnar to her office.  "I want to trap the entire entranceway, to guard against the goblins."

"The...entire...entranceway?  That's going to take a lot more weapons and dwarves than we've currently got."

"Do the best you can, but make it as impregnable as possible.  I will not lose any dwarven child to the goblin slave markets."

"And if I do this, can I have some of that aluminum to construct my flying machine?  Because I've decided to--"

Surath interrupted before he could get launched on his favorite topic.  "Make the traps first.  Impregnable, remember!"

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2008, 07:54:00 am »

Good to see my Dwarf has done what he does best. Hopefully after he trains in Wrestling for a while, he can get switched to an Axe or Sword. But hurrah for my Off-key self promoting dwarf!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2008, 08:16:00 am »

13th Slate, 1053
"The toad is dead! The mean old wicked titan toad is dead!"

Cheers rang out at the news, and a celebration ensued where each and every dwarf got rip-roaring drunk.  Jusk was the hero of the day, having dealt the killing blow, but Kroma was feted just as much, having also fought the titan toad.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

14th Slate, 1053
Work resumed on the underground tower-cap farm.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2008, 08:48:00 am »

28th Slate, 1053
More migrants arrived, to the relief of some and dismay of others.  The new arrivals nearly doubled the population, and most were immediately put to work in food and alcohol production while the most useless were drafted into the military.  Surath was paranoid about goblins, for the tales referring to those creatures were more numerous than the adamantine legends, and far more verifiable.

----------------------------
Available dwarves:
1 Fish Dissector (f) -> turned Soldier
1 Woodcrafter (f)
4 Peasants (f) -> turned Soldier
1 Metal Crafter (m)
2 Soap Makers (f) -> turned Soldier
1 Trapper (m)
1 Peasant (f)
1 Soap Maker (m) -> turned Soldier
1 Engraver (m)
1 Peasant (m)
1 Wood Burner (f)
1 Peasant (m) -> turned Soldier
1 Engineer (m)
1 Child (m)
1 Woodcrafter (f)
1 Engineer (f)
1 Miner (f)
1 Miller (f) -> turned Soldier
1 Animal Caretaker (f)

Left over from the previous migration:
1 Animal Trainer (f)
1 Siege Operator (f)
1 Peasant (f) -> currently an engraver
1 Glassmaker (m)
1 Milker (f) -> turned Soldier
1 Peasant (f) -> turned Soldier
1 Metal Crafter (m)
1 Miller (f)
1 Potash Maker (f)
1 Metal Crafter (m)
1 Peasant (f)
1 Soap Maker (m)
1 Blacksmith (m)
1 Cheese Maker (m)

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2008, 09:31:00 am »

28Slate53

Another group of raggedy green dwarves came rolling into camp today. Some of the last wave are shaping up, but I can't shake the feeling that we're taking in a lot of freeloaders.

Viktoria and I were talking about this place we've made, this community that has sprung up from our hard work and persistance. And we're missing a lot of the things that make a true community. One thing V and I thought would help was to get some impressive architecture built. Impressive places that speak to the importance of the community and what we're doing here.

We should also have monuments that commemorate important events in our history. Like, for an example, defeating the titan toad. Viktoria thinks we should make a giant toad statue made out of dozens of green glass blocks and put it out in the towercap forest.

That's a fabulous idea, and I can't wait to mention it to Surath. She'll love it! We should also look for other ways to build some important edifices around here. This is our home!

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

28th Slate, 1053

Watson: I've been thinking a lot recently and especially with more immigrants. I need to make my mark on this fortress and i don't feel I'm being useful right now. I've missed two opportunities now, first the eagle and now that damned toad. I may ask to be transfered to the military soon as I'd rather sleep in the dirt and die in battle than sit in an office for the rest of my life dealing with petty crimes. in the long run though if i stayed as sheriff and then moved to captain of the guard i would achieve more fame (as well as my own tomb) so i am hesitant. I think I will ask Surath if i could temporarily train with the military to improve my skills before returning to duty and then hopefully if something nasty turns up she will consider letting me go out with the soldiers to battle before returning to the tedium of police work.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »

"Assuming a goblin would weight at least fifty kilograms, I think it's... Yes, probably a 24 centimetre diameter, no, 23 just to be certain...

Huh... So, there. Hmmm, I heard one of the new immigrants is a siege engineer. Just the sort of person I'd like to talk to. I bet he could help me come up with something... Yes, maybe if I didn't use any sort of motive power except at launch, and glide like a bird... Yes, that would probably work, which means I'd need less aluminum and that means it's lighter... Of course, one must think about other concerns... Yes, landing. I'm glad I thought of that. I have seen how dangerous a rock thrown from a catapult is, and I have no intention of becoming part of a pile of wreckage..."

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

2nd Felsite, 1053
Apparently it was Ask Surath for Favors Day.  Watson started it.  He wanted to get some military training so that he could actually take care of the next threat, rather than hearing about it second- or thirdhand.  Well, that was easy enough to grant, Surath thought, and put Watson in charge of training the new recruits for a while.

No sooner had Watson happily headed off toward the barracks, than Kroma arrived.  Apparently her view of Cursemountains had changed fairly radically.  Instead of leaving, she now wanted to add to their dubious glory.  She wanted to build a giant toad statue to commemorate the victory over the titan toad.  Out of green glass blocks.  In the midst of the tower-cap farm.

"The idea of building statues to commemorate our great victories is a good one,"  said Surath thoughtfully.  "But since we're going to need as much wood as we can get, perhaps it would be better to build a gallery completely devoted to such...works of art?"

"Hmmm, I suppose a gallery will do just as well."

"Alright, go talk to Viktoria and Bricktop.  Come up with a location for the Grand Gallery and a plan for the statue and I'll take a look at it."

And then to top it all off, what did she find Arnar doing when she went to ask him about the traps?  Thinking about the traps?  Of course not!  He was off in his own little world planning his ridiculous flying machine.  Again!  And to cap it all off, he had managed to get the new siege engineer involved!  Needless to say, Surath sent them both skeedaddling back to work with a few well-chosen words.  After all, the defense of their home must take priority.  Cursemountains would be the best defended fort ever made!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

5th Felsite, 1053
Kroma, Bricktop and Viktoria came to Surath's office to discuss the statue plans.

"The Grand Gallery will be begun in the eastern part of the mountains, we don't have any plans for that region and there is plenty of room to build enormous statues."

"How big, exactly, are you planning on making this one?"  Surath hoped it wouldn't take up the entire mountain.

"Only about 10 levels," Kroma said dismissively.

Viktoria explained, "We wanted to make it bigger but as it is it's going to take about 500-600 green glass blocks.  With our wood supplies as precarious as they are currently, it's going to take years to make that many, even if we order more from the caravan."

Studying the plans some more, Surath asked, "Are the eyes going to be green glass as well?"

"Did you have a better idea?"

"What if we make the eyes out of jet, and the rest out of glass.  I can order jet from the caravan, if we haven't found any here by the time we're close to needing it."

"Jet eyes," said Kroma slowly.  "Black eyes.  Black eyes of doom.  Yes that would work.  So we can go ahead and begin?"

"Go right ahead."

Work commenced on the excavation that same day.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

2nd Felsite, 1053

Watson: Today I finally got round to talk to Surath about the training. Amazingly she agreed and even put me in charge of training the new recruits. I thanked her greatly before hurrying off to get started. I just pray that Armok does not curse me with permanent injury at the hands of these beginners.

Also in other news i heard of plans to build a glass statue of the toad. sounded reasonable to me until i heard it would take around 600 glass blocks! Are these maniacs trying to cripple our fortress? with almost no wood here it would need to be imported! That money would be better spent on booze!

[ January 29, 2008: Message edited by: Foamy ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

5th Hematite, 1053
It had happened again.  This time it was the blacksmith.  He had gotten an odd look in his eye and claimed the metal forge.  Surath, remembering what had happened the last time a dwarf started behaving oddly, prayed to Armok that this dwarf would have more reasonable and fulfillable requirements.  He ran around getting gold and silver bars as well as some rough tsavorites and shortly after began making something.  She hoped whatever-it-was would be more useful than the millstone that Bricktop had decided to make.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18