Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth  (Read 11306 times)

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

I'll nab any of your soldiers

Nosey be his name, killin stuff be his game

He likes to brag about himself alot...and in the third person no less. Also he names his weapons. Silly names, Stupid Names, Badass names. He names all his weapons. He tends to sing songs as well, mostly regarding himself. He just thinks he's that freakin' cool.

[ January 27, 2008: Message edited by: Nos3y ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »

7th Sandstone, 1052
Well, the Queen seemed to have recognized that some demands were much more reasonable than others (bit surprising actually, considering everything Surath had heard and witnessed about nobles' demands while in the Mountainhomes).  But she wasn't going to question it.  At least crowns and earrings were perfectly manageable, especially considering that Kroma spent all of her time making them as well as other trinkets.

"See you next fall, and good luck."  The liaison was beginning to grow on Surath, he really was a nice guy, just the bearer of bad tidings.

"What do you mean, see us next fall?  When can we leave this place?"

"The Queen wants adamantine.  She insists that you remain here until you find it, on pain of death."

Ashen-faced, Surath protested, "But there's an entire mountain to search!  Unless we get really lucky, we could be here a hundred years and never find it, if it's here in the first place!"

"Then I suppose you'll just have to stay a hundred years, then, right?"

Surath changed her mind, that liaison was as cold as the Queen and had just as much heart.  She wasn't going to enjoy breaking this to the others.  Although, now that they had water, perhaps it wasn't quite so bad as at first even if it wasn't much better.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Narceh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

Dibs on a male military dwarf

Name: Taalen
Any weapon trade will do, especially since I doubt you have a selection of weapons, but a macedwarf would be nice.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2008, 11:14:00 am »

This has great potential.
Good story.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

10Sand52

Still no pet goat from the traders. Maybe the elves will come through for me, like they did with my nifty flute. I've been practicing now and again, and hope to have some songs to play next time someone throws a party. Seems like parties don't happen here nearly as often as back home.

I was thinking about maybe taking a break from stonecrafting for a little while. Maybe cooking? We could sure use it. Maybe I could spend half my time seeing if I could improve the menu around here. I'll talk to Surath.

We now have a Sherriff and 5 "soldiers" to protect us from the deadly threat of eagle attack. Seems entirely foolish. And most of the others don't actually seem to do much of anything. Mostly just moving stuff around. We should ask some of the less useful ones to leave. Go back home. But nicely.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

11th Sandstone, 1052
One of the wrestlers had been brought to Surath's attention as...unique.  Apparently he called himself Nosey, and when he wasn't sparring he was singing.  Off-key.  Making the dogs howl in sympathy, according to the new animal trainer who had taken over that portion of Kroma's original duties.

And as if that weren't enough, there was another wrestler, Taalen.  He stopped by Surath's office while on break to ask for a mace.  A mace, when they were just beginning to get metalworking up and running.  Surath agreed somewhat hesitantly, but as they currently had no weaponsmith, she asked him if he could wait until there was someone who could forge decent weapons.  At least he readily agreed, since no self-respecting dwarf would ever dare to fight with less than exceptional weapons if they had the choice.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

28th Sandstone, 1052
Surath was only ten feet away when the metalsmith suddenly dropped the plump helmet she was carrying and ran off to claim the forge.  She then started asking for metal bars, cloth and shells.  Surath wondered why she didn't just grab any of the items as there were plenty of each.  But, since Bricktop had managed to make a millstone without too much trouble when he was acting strangely, she figured the metalsmith would either calm down or use the supplies on hand.  So she shrugged her shoulders and put the metalsmith out of her head.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

24th Timber, 1052
That titan toad was really getting on Surath's nerves.  None of the dwarves were willing to complete the watering system for the tower-cap farm because of it.  

"I can't build that floodgate, I'm scared of the titan toad."  "I can't dig that last few feet, I'm scared of the titan toad."  "I can't dump that useless rock, I'm scared of the titan toad."  "I can't build that floor, I'm scared of the titan toad."  That was all she had heard for the last several days.

Finally, in desperation Surath ordered fortifications dug one level above the toad and stationed Jusk and Kroma, as the only two marksdwarves, next to it with orders to kill the blasted thing.

"With what?"

"With what?  You have crossbows, use them."

"Ummm, I can't use a crossbow without bolts, and we currently don't have any,"  said Kroma with a long-suffering air.

"What do you mean, no bolts?  How have you been hunting, Jusk?"  

"I've been using my crossbow as a hammer.  Works quite well."

"Fine, I'll have more bolts made.  And as soon as there are some, you two take care of that dratted toad!"

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

26th Timber, 1052
After a thorough review of the books, Surath saw that the stockpile records were still incomplete, which was how she'd overlooked the lack of bolts.  Since she didn't have the time to complete the records, she asked for a volunteer to take over.  Thrakor promptly stepped forward, bored from the lack of mining currently available.  He was immediately assigned as the new bookkeeper.

Narceh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

I can't help noticing that it looks like each screenshot is of a bit different size, which hints you've had to do some cutting by hand for the screenshots to only include what you wanted. I realise that in, for example, dwarf mood screens the idea has been to save some space by cutting some of the black space out, but nonetheless this all makes me wonder if you're aware of a little tip that helped me a lot when taking DF screenshots for threads. The little differences in in picture sizes, however, and a piece of white outside the actual game window here and there hint that you may not... So here goes

When taking a screenshot, don't just press "Print Screen", but Alt + Print Screen. That way the screenshot will be of only the currently active window, so all you need to do it paste it into any program with a "paste as new image" feature and save it as a .png, no other editing necessary at all.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

I've been saving them as .bmp, I'll try the .png thing and see if that works better.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

18th Moonstone, 1052
The first Surath knew of it was the howl of pain from one of the dogs.  The metalsmith who had been acting so strangely...had gone over the edge.  She had gone berserk and was attacking anything that moved.  Nirsolon, one of the war dogs, finally managed to strike the killing blow on the berserk dwarf after a battle lasting nearly half a day, scattering chunks of dwarf all over the battlefield.

With the metalsmith's death, a pall descended over the dwarves as the founders remembered what it had been like in that desolate wasteland when they first arrived, and the newcomers began to realize that Cursemountains was just as bad as the Mountainhomes, but in a different way.

Bricktop and Thrakor dug out a grave while Korbin created a coffin, and the metalsmith was laid to rest in the traditional dwarven manner deep within the mountain.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

20th Moonstone, 1052
Hoping to lift the depression hanging over the fort, Surath asked Kroma to cook a lavish meal for everyone.  Hopefully a good meal would help cheer everybody up.  Otherwise there was always an extra ration of booze, guaranteed to make every dwarf forget all of their worries.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

18th Opal, 1052
The miller gave birth to a boy in the early afternoon, to Thrakor's pride and joy.  Surath couldn't believe it.  Who would want to bring a new life into the world here?  At the end of the world?  But, apparently there was a pair of dwarves who were crazy enough to do it.  Surath congratulated them, as was right, and was informed that the child was named Lokum, meaning "Spear".  Surath barely managed to hide her uneasiness as she wondered why the parents would choose such a name.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

18th Opal, 1052
Joy of joys!  I have been blessed with a son!  May his beard grow as long as the mountain roots.  We have named him Lokum, a traditional dwarvish name.

Work continues well.  I have taken up bookkeeping in addition to mining, so I feel I am contributing to the glory of the fortress.

**I just noticed something.  In my dwarf's profile, it states he likes spears.  He gets a son- its name is Spear.  Coincidence, or excellent design depth?

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18