Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth  (Read 11304 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

12th Hematite, 1055
Taalen's squad returned with the report.  There were 16 goblins, consisting of 6 spearmen, 1 crossbowman, 1 axeman, 2 swordsmen, 2 macemen, 3 pikemen, and 1 bowman.

Watson nodded.  "We can take them.  But we'll stay behind the fortifications while Kroma and the two other marksdwarves shoot as many as possible.  Then the wrestlers will rush out to deal with the rest."

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

"Eep. Goblins. I hope our defences will suffice. I'd hate to have anyone I know die, especially me."
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »

"GRAH! Goblins!? But my squad hasn't even begun its training! This is a new low, even for goblins, to attack while we are still not fully trained!"
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »

22nd Hematite, 1055
The goblins had taken their sweet time to get to the fort's entrance, allowing the dwarves some extra time to get ready.  

Kroma and her marksdwarves were stationed behind the fortifications and managed to take out the bowman in the first volley.  But Arnar's traps were also doing their job, accounting for five goblins alone.  Silverus was the first dwarf to charge the invaders, closely followed by the others.  Seeing this wave of dwarven fury spewing out the front gates, the goblins turned tail and ran, but only a mere handful managed to escape the dwarves and their traps.  By the end of the battle, over half of the invaders lay in pieces, with two more caught in strategically placed cage traps.  

But the dwarves had not had it all their own way, one wrestler, the one Silverus had complained about never training, lay dead and several others had sustained injuries, both minor and major.

Watson remarked to Surath, "At least now I know where we are weakest military-wise, and I'll start training some dwarves in skills other than wrestling.  But, for a relatively untrained military, this was a pretty good battle."

"I leave it to you.  It's a pity the goblins blocked the human caravan, however.  We could have used the supplies I asked for last year."

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

25th Hematite, 1055
The dwarves spent several days cleaning up the aftermath of the battle, and their undisputed victory went a long way towards making them feel better.  Watson had drafted several more dwarves to beef up the military, and Surath ordered the iron equipment melted for reworking.  The rest of the goblin equipment would be traded or it could rot, she didn't care.  

She called Arnar into her office to discuss his trap placements.  "The traps you already placed worked well, but there are several points that aren't covered at all.  And if Watson's right and the goblins return, we'll need heavier defenses."

"You told me to defend against thieves, not armies!"

"And now I'm telling you armies."

"Then I'm going to need some catapults and ballistas."

"Come up with a defense plan and tell me how many you need.  Those goblins were a little too close for comfort."

[ February 09, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

Snip.

[ February 09, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]

"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

No, Silverus is still alive.  Another dwarf died, the one he replaced as head of the squad.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

DOH! Sorry about that. Disregard Sir Trogdor, then.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

10th Galena, 1055
Surath had been thinking that there wasn't enough pig iron in the fort, and she really liked pig iron.  So she swent down to the metalsmiths and demanded two pig iron items.

"But you've already ordered that all the pig iron be smelted into steel to make armor and weapons," the smiths protested.

"And I like pig iron so much that I want two pig iron items!"  And with that Surath walked off to have some sewer brew, which she also really liked.

The Dungeon Master had been listening to the conversation, and she suggested, "Perhaps that is Surath's way of saying you should make some pig iron bars that can then be used to make more steel?"

The smiths agreed, and set to work.  Really, they thought, she could have simply said that she wanted more pig iron bars.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

"Hmmm... From the left or from the right... From the left or the right.... shields tend to be carried on the left arm, so it'd be the right I suppose. Right from their perspective, that is, it'd probably be left from ours. I mean right. Or was that right from their perspective and left from our? No, that can't be right. It's gotta be their right, our wro- er, left. Ah, great, I must be getting sober. I need a drink..."
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

13th Limestone, 1055
The dwarven caravan had been sighted, and Surath ordered all the trade goods, including the goblin spoils, brought to the depot ready to trade.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

14th Limestone, 1055
Surath had become accustomed to the occasional dwarf going into a strange mood and creating some kind of useless artifact.  This time it was a pump operator.  Who started screaming for cut gems.  All of their gems were rough!  Muttering to herself she went to find the jewelers to tell them to cut some gems for the poor dwarf.

"But we don't have a workshop!  We can't cut anything without a workshop."

"Then build one.  There's an empty location reserved for it on the workshop level."  Frankly Surath was surprised that the jewelers hadn't already taken care of it, they'd been nagging her for work ever since they had arrived.

[ February 10, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

22nd Limestone, 1055
The caravan had brought plenty of wood as well as some drink, and the four jet blocks Surath had requested for the massive statues were also present.

Speaking with the liaison later, Surath put in the usual request for wood, and this time added a request for as much siltstone as the camels could hold, so that construction on the scorpion statue could commence.  The liaison was dumbfounded.

"Why do you want more rock?  You have a mountain full!"

"Yes, but we need brown rock, and there isn't any here."

"But why?"

"That is a secret, but I can tell you that it is for a project worthy of Armok."

The liaison just shook his head.  These dwarves had clearly lost their wits.  But he had a job to do, and began to list the Queen's requirements.  She had finally been convinced by her 'advisors' that something needed to be done about the food situation, and so was demanding meat.  A lot of meat.  But she also wanted windows, and large gems.

"Windows?  Large gems?  We don't have either of those, nor the means of producing them currently.  We're doing as we were told and mining for adamantine, though we have yet to find any hint that it's present in this mountain."

"That's what she wants."  And then the liaison added, almost as an afterthought, "Oh, she also wants bolts and crossbows."

"Bolts and crossbows!  What're we supposed to defend ourselves with?  We had a goblin invasion during the summer which kept the humans from reaching us, we need those weapons!"

"Goblins?  Well you seem to have fought them off well enough.  At any rate those are the Queen's demands, I'm only the messenger."

Surath sighed at the vagaries of those in charge.  The food was easy, they had an immense surplus, but the rest...Cursemountains needed the weapons, and the Queen would just have to do without the windows and gems.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

17th Sandstone, 1055
Surath was glancing through the books, and noticed that there were 17 doors in stock.  This would not do!  She went straight to the masons and demanded that they immediately make three more.

[OOC: This struck me as rather funny, since I've been playing her as someone who really prefers factors of 5, and her latest demand is three doors, with 17 in stock.  I love DF.]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

18th Sandstone, 1055
More migrants arrived today, and only one of them useful.  The new ranger was promptly added to Silverus' squad, to help with the marksdwarf training.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18