Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth  (Read 11495 times)

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth
« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2008, 08:16:00 am »

8th Felsite 1054

Bricktop: Hrumph! Sending out soldiers to deal with trouble in the mines! Prancing about in the open air with their crossbows and tactics... what do they know of fighting in the deeps? Its supposed to be us! The Miners! We know how to deal with creatures in the deeps. No wonder there were deaths! I'll have to have a word with this Surath, she seems to be forgetting the way we dwarves work.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2008, 11:03:00 am »

9th Felsite, 1054
Bricktop and Kroma both came to Surath that morning, one with a complaint and the other with a request.  To Bricktop's complaint, Surath pointed out that though the mines were obviously the domain of the miners, the cave swallow had been on the surface divebombing its victims.  Only marksdwarves could have brought it down, which was why marksdwarves had been sent.  And any further complaints could be taken to Jusk because he had been the one to decide.

Kroma wanted a quiet place to spend her free time.  Surath hesitated to agree, as the miners were needed to finish digging out more living quarters.  Not to mention finding a place with a waterfall nearby was not exactly easy.  Finally, however, she agreed on the condition that the miners complete their current duties first.  The location chosen was located right near the run-off into the chasm from the tower-cap farm irrigation system.  Kroma protested, and was given a choice between waterfall and no waterfall.  She said she'd think about it.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

4th Hematite, 1054
The fisherdwarf was running about in confusion.  Apparently he had made a microcline ring and remembered nothing about it, claiming to have been possessed.  He called it Themornitig, Boiledbite, and Surath valued it at a meager 3,600*.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

14th Hematite, 1054
The humans had returned, and this time they were accompanied by a Merchant Baroness.

When Surath went to trade, she saw a lot of wood.  Wonderful!  Their stocks had been getting dangerously low.  She also noticed a goat, which she got for Kroma.  After all, Kroma had been very patiently waiting for the last several years.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

28th Hematite, 1054
Watson came to Surath with the news that three dwarves had died.

"What nefarious creature killed them?"

"Umm, no creature.  They died of thirst."

"Of thirst!  But we have plenty of alcohol and water!"

"One was the injured ranger, the other the criminal, and Jusk.  Apparently no one was willing to bring them water."

"So they were left to die?"

"Mm-mmm."

"Humph.  Two more graves to dig then.  Jusk of course will get a tomb, since he was integral to the defense of Cursemountains, particularly during the first couple of years."

[ February 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

17Hema54

A pet goat! Her name is Zikelser, and she is perfect!

Surath agreed to make me a nice spot near a waterfall. It's by the chasm, which is a bit worrisome. Not that I'm afraid of anything that might come out of there. It's just not completely conducive to rest and relaxation. Maybe if we trap the perimeter? Well, anyway, it's going to be great. I'll have some lovely statues, and I'll keep Zikelser there. With the spray of the waterfall....

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »

14th Limestone, 1054
This time it was one of the metalcrafters who went strange.  After grabbing some iron, pig iron and honey yellow beryl, he made the Silent Pelts of Ivy, a pig iron idol that Surath valued at 72,000*.  It was encircled with bands of pig iron and menaced with iron spikes.  In addition two images had been included of Surath speaking with the dwarven traders and liaison, one in iron and the other in honey yellow beryl.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »

16th Limestone, 1054
The dwarven caravan had returned, bringing as much wood and alcohol as their camels could carry, to Surath's great satisfaction.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

25th Moonstone, 1054
Watson came to Surath as she was indulging in some swamp whiskey, requesting permission to take the military out to deal with the giant cave swallows.  "Five dwarves came up to me just this morning to complain about them."

"So you want to deal with another cave swallow?"

"Well, all of them, actually.  And there's a giant eagle hanging out off to the southeast so we may as well take care of it while we're at it."

Surath waved him off.  "Go ahead.  I have enough complaints on my desk that any you can take care of will be a big help.  Particularly if they're of the dangerous kind."

Watson promptly returned to the barracks and chose Taalen's and Nosey's squads to come with him to take care of the flying menaces.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

25th Moonstone, 1054

All these dangers abounding around our site have got me thinking.  Are we truly prepared to face the possibility of even more dangerous beasts attacking?  Goblin sieges are an ever-present threat, and who knows what greater horrors lurk in the wilds?  I will have to ponder this.

26th Moonstone, 1054

An idea!  We need some additional form of training to strengthen ourselves for coming dangers.  I've heard that operating a screw pump is grueling work, the kind that no doubt builds up a dwarf to great levels of endurance.  Surely if we build several of them, then those of us with some free time can operate them as a form of exercise.  I'll have to tell Surath about this.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Nosey's Log:

Finally! Action! I shall spill Blood in the name of my Ancestors! Our enemy will cower before our might, and come to fear my name!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

1st Granite, 1055
Another year had been finished, and Cursemountains prospered.  Surath no longer thought seriously about returning to the Mountainhomes, after having invested so much effort into making this town a success.  Watson reported that the giant eagle and three of the five giant cave swallows had been killed, the other two would soon follow once the soldiers were done eating, sleeping, and drinking.  He himself had sustained a minor injury to the arm which prevented his going out to take care of them himself.  Kroma had taken care of two of the flying menaces by herself, she really was a very good shot.
Surath announced the end-of-the-year status, as she always did.

Created Wealth: 795,139*
Weapons: 444*
Armor: 7,800*
Furniture: 157,640*
Other Objects: 233,088*
Architecture: 78,814
Displayed: 11,943
Held/Worn: 305,410

Imported Wealth: 202,583*
Exported Wealth: 3,908*

Food Stores: 1,030, of which only 47 were alcohol.

The alcohol situation was dire.  The dwarves would insist on filling all of the freshly made barrels with food!  So Surath announced a new procedure.  Henceforth the number of barrels in the food stockpile would be limited to only a fraction of what the stockpile could accommodate, and the rest of the barrels would be devoted to booze production.  Any dwarf found to be violating this order, would be immediately excluded from any alcohol ration for a month.

At this a general muttering arose from the listening dwarves, for such a penalty was severe.  However, the alternative was unthinkable, and apart from the general grumbling no one complained.

---------------------------------------------
Legendary Dwarves:
Korbin -> Legendary Engraver
Thrakor -> Legendary Miner

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2008, 06:27:00 am »

Using wood for barrels to increase our alcohol supply, or using that wood to increase our glass blocks. Viktoria can't decide which she would prefer more.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2008, 11:19:00 am »

3rd Granite 1055

Running out of beer! Whoever's responsible deserves a hammering...

(Oh, by the way, what are Bricktop's stats now? )

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

You need to provide constant updates or you'll lose your audience. As you can see with Nist Akath, the Captain updates ALOT, and answers questions, and shoots the proverbial shit with everyone. Hell, I almost forgot about this until a few posted. Just my two cents, so far though its been pretty cool   :)

As with the others, how is my Dwarf doing?

[edit] Spelling

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Nos3y ]

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18