Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48081 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2015, 10:01:35 am »

I once had a vampire show up at my tavern. I missed the first murder he committed, but the second one didn't escape me. Just when I was prepared to become Friend Computer and watch my fortress like a hawk, I noticed that one of my forty visitors was tagged as a vampire. Convenient.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2015, 10:08:52 am »

I saw a dance in my first temple.  Creepiest thing I've ever seen a group of 18 dwarves do with a disabled dog.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2015, 11:11:08 am »

Do you need to assign mercenaries to a squad? Will they still fight enemies if you don't?

I have 2 mercenaries, and they always stay at the inn, doing nothing useful (they used to be 3, but one of them died of alcohol poisoning a month after petitioning. That was amazing timing, I didn't pay attention to his petition for a long time before...)
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2015, 12:25:48 pm »

Can i found several small forts on an island, generating a new island population with the hardcoded migrants, and then get travelers and the like that way?
I am an angry person. It's true. Anti-social misanthrope with a complete lack of an ability to tolerate stupidity. So if you say something stupid to me, or try and insinuate I must just be misunderstanding or doing something wrong, I will probably yell at you. Always take me at my word when I explain something. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply being honest, in a world where the average intellect is potato. Unhelpful patronizing "help", deserves a snappy retort. Grow some thicker skin.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2015, 05:14:35 pm »

Do you need to assign mercenaries to a squad? Will they still fight enemies if you don't?

I have 2 mercenaries, and they always stay at the inn, doing nothing useful (they used to be 3, but one of them died of alcohol poisoning a month after petitioning. That was amazing timing, I didn't pay attention to his petition for a long time before...)

You do need to assign the mercenaries to a squad, but the squad leader will need to be an actual fortress dwarf citizen.  Once assigned to a squad the mercs will train with the rest of their squad.  I have Goblin Axemen training and fighting alongside my Axedwarves.

I even have a Human Crossbowman integrated into my Marksdwarf squad and he happily picks up wooden training bolts (while leaving the stack of metal combat bolts in quivered - thanks to Toady for fixing that bug in .42.03!) and goes to train at the archery range with the others.

Weapon assignment can be tricky if you've got a bunch of mercs that like to use non-standard weapons, so I also formed a "misfit squad" led by a speardwarf to put all the random pikemen and lashers and such in, set to "individual weapon choice".

--nomad_delta

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2015, 07:06:04 pm »

So, how big do pantheons get? I need to know for advanced temple planning.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2015, 07:28:03 pm »

Depends on how many gods your civilization worships, I think. Don't think there's a set limit or number of gods per civ. Some gods can cover multiple spheres though, like one god could be a god of fortresses, death, and war, or a god of wealth, trade, and fire.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

larkvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2015, 07:34:16 pm »

Has anyone figured out a way to make a subject-specific library yet? The idea of micromanaging dumping for three different parallel libraries just to get books into my medical library is daunting. That said, all my medical staff are talking about math and surveying...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2015, 09:35:03 pm »

Depends on how many gods your civilization worships, I think. Don't think there's a set limit or number of gods per civ. Some gods can cover multiple spheres though, like one god could be a god of fortresses, death, and war, or a god of wealth, trade, and fire.
Also, once you get permanent residents from other civilizations, they will want temples too, to their gods. My pantheon started with 11 gods, from my dwarven civilization. By now, I have 25 temples to 25 different gods. I like how my resident dwarven philosopher worships a goblin god of chaos. Or perhaps it's a human god, not sure. Need to still look up the name in the language raws.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2015, 10:19:25 pm »

My intent is that if I ever get a dwarven god of forging or some such (I'm playing humans) is to build a secret temple deep under the earth and have only dwarves live there.

I wonder if ignoring a temple for too long makes a god angry? If so, only dwarves will be allowed near the temple, so that if dwarves ever die out in Blazecooks, they will incur the wrath of said deity.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2015, 12:12:45 am »

Has anyone figured out a way to make a subject-specific library yet? The idea of micromanaging dumping for three different parallel libraries just to get books into my medical library is daunting. That said, all my medical staff are talking about math and surveying...
Blasphemy! Everything is Philosophy. Learned men talked about all things all the time. You are limiting their potentials if you only let them talk about surgery.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2015, 07:48:20 am »

Single dump tile in target library taking only codices or scrolls or whayever and dumping things you want in there is the only way I know of

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2015, 02:56:08 pm »

Got my library up and running. No new books, but so far they've discussed reproductive behavior and dietary relationships.  ???
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2015, 03:23:17 pm »

Bookwriting should be nerfed. I am not accepting any scholars as permanent residents next fort. 180 books in my library now, and counting. About 15 of those are written by my own dwarves, the rest was written by the 4 scholars I granted residence.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2015, 03:43:38 pm »

Bookwriting should be nerfed. I am not accepting any scholars as permanent residents next fort. 180 books in my library now, and counting. About 15 of those are written by my own dwarves, the rest was written by the 4 scholars I granted residence.
Well, they're living in your fort now. Technically they're your dwarves. Except, y'know, not literally dwarves. Unless some of them are dwarves.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16