Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48096 times)

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2015, 06:06:36 pm »

does the game specify what is a copy vs an original? I have not seen a copy yet myself
Sort of. It does this by appending "(copy)" to the name of the artifact.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2015, 06:57:42 pm »

does the game specify what is a copy vs an original? I have not seen a copy yet myself
I've seen a few but I think scribes are bugged in this version.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2015, 07:12:25 pm »

They are...fixed in next release

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2015, 07:52:25 pm »

Travelers don't know when to stop. I've lost probably over a hundred performers of all sorts now, including a dozen troupes. Despite the zombie horde besieging us, they just kept coming. I've mustered the strength to break this siege, though. We'll be cleaning up bodies for a long time.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2015, 03:16:30 pm »

so my performer in a temple is doing nothing performance wise...is that a known bug? I cant find anything about it

he has instruments and a 9x8 dance floor. The temple is not dedicated to anyone

he does hang out in the temple with "no job"

Racil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2015, 05:58:52 pm »

I have an issue with all my outside tavern guests ending up in my water cistern and have refused to leave it for years now. They seem to have gotten rather good at swimming, and they don't eat or drink anything. I see them move occationally, but they can stand still for months.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2015, 06:32:54 pm »

I have an issue with all my outside tavern guests ending up in my water cistern and have refused to leave it for years now. They seem to have gotten rather good at swimming, and they don't eat or drink anything. I see them move occationally, but they can stand still for months.

flood it so they have to leave?

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2015, 01:52:39 am »

Anyone else getting swarmed by visitors in the Winter? I've had 13 visitors this winter, including a troupe of 6 or so Elves and Dwarves. I guess my Tavern is just THE place to visit,
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2015, 02:02:40 am »

Can you actually do something with the people that petition to live in your Fortress?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2015, 02:22:39 am »

Military petitioners can be added to squads regardless of their race - although I don't think they can lead them.  Bards and poets will entertain your dwarves, but you probably don't have a shortage of performers filtering through.  I haven't seen any scholars petition to stay.

Dwarves who join your fortress can be assigned labors in Dwarf Therapist, but anything else winds up listed under 'pets' and isn't available.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2015, 10:53:16 pm »

Should you assign the main temple/library/inn rooms by both a table->meetinghall and as a meetingarea overlapping to be safe to get everything working? or would the overlap cause problems/not be worth it?

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2015, 11:11:42 pm »

so my performer in a temple is doing nothing performance wise...is that a known bug? I cant find anything about it

he has instruments and a 9x8 dance floor. The temple is not dedicated to anyone

he does hang out in the temple with "no job"

My temple performers don't do anything either. For that matter, I've yet to see a dance of any sort :( The closest I've seen is an impromptu choir performing a capella - has anyone else seen a dance, or an instrument performance? What does your setup look like?

Military petitioners can be added to squads regardless of their race - although I don't think they can lead them.  Bards and poets will entertain your dwarves, but you probably don't have a shortage of performers filtering through.  I haven't seen any scholars petition to stay.

Dwarves who join your fortress can be assigned labors in Dwarf Therapist, but anything else winds up listed under 'pets' and isn't available.

I think you're right about mercenaries being unable to lead squads.
I've had quite a few scholars petition to stay, and have become apprentices to other scholars in my library.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2015, 03:51:53 am »

I'm still not getting any dances or people using instruments. I've seen a few reports on the forum that people are seeing them, but not many. I'm wondering if it's bugged, or if there is some unmet condition that we're not fulfilling. I did chose a "short" history and I'm wondering if maybe some things haven't developed yet. Maybe me dwarves don't know any songs to play or any dance-forms. I did gen this world in .42.01 so maybe the world-gen was broken.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2015, 07:21:07 am »

Toady acknowledged the not using an instrument buh in the announcement thread I think...thought he had it fixed for this version

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2015, 08:31:04 am »

Should you assign the main temple/library/inn rooms by both a table->meetinghall and as a meetingarea overlapping to be safe to get everything working? or would the overlap cause problems/not be worth it?

For temples and libraries, I only make the meeting area (zone) and nothing more.

For taverns, I make the meeting area (zone) and assign that to the tavern.  I also make a dining room from one of the tables, and expand the dining room to fill the same space as the meeting area, but I do not assign the dining room to the tavern.  (If you assign the dining room to the tavern, you get double counting of the coffers and mugs and so on, and I'm sure that can't be good.)

If you find that your dwarves eat in the library frequently, you might want to create a dining room inside the library as well.  But I haven't tried that, so I'm not sure what the ramifications are.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16