Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48098 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2015, 07:03:07 am »

Oh yeah, does anyone know what Tavern Keepers are supposed to do?  I can't detect any change in functionality with or without a keeper on hand.

You have to have the booze stockpile included in tavern area and chest with some goblets or mugs in the area too. Then they will start serving the patrons. I ended up having to designate two keepers because I felt like my first was overworked. As soon as I did the first keeper went and read a book in the library which was the first time I'd ever seen her do anything but serve drinks. I think she needed to put her feet up a little. She also hasn't started any fights since then.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2015, 12:50:41 pm »

I could use some ideas for a church, since I can't think of a beautiful underground church being a thing.

Take a look at the chapel at St. Andrew's School -- it's in a basement so the only windows are in channeled-out places that barely let any light in.  I think channeling out a 4-z tall area with pillars, a long central aisle, rows of chairs, and an elevated platform at one end would be enough.  If they need statues put them along the outer wall like Stations of the Cross. 
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2015, 01:10:35 pm »

You could take a look at pretty much any pre-Gothic church.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2015, 01:39:23 pm »

At what point instruments and writing materials will be delivered to the temples and libraries. I think I have some by now, but they aren't in chests, it seems.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2015, 01:40:19 pm »

I'd go more to D&D type fantasy evil temples as an inspiration
They're often underground and beautiful and more likely to have magma waterfalls in than real life churches

For deliveries, I put the instruments in my temple as buildings.
And for writing materials, i think it depends on how many idle haulers you've got?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2015, 02:23:50 pm »

Moving writing materials around is just another hauling task.  I'm guessing it's Item Hauling but I'm not certain.  Having a couple of dedicated item haulers is probably the way to go.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2015, 03:06:39 pm »

I put some beds into area designated as tavern. Will guests stay there or they need more?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2015, 03:13:19 pm »

... They're often underground and beautiful and more likely to have magma waterfalls in than real life churches ...
I can't recall trying this, but.. if you build a water wheel out of nether cap, and flow magma under it/past it, will it generate power the same as flowing water?

If it does, I have a new goal for a temple/tavern/library feature.. :)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2015, 03:13:39 pm »

If you make each bed a bedroom and assign those rooms to the tavern, petitioners will stay there.

Has anyone had a fortress last long enough to see long term residents become citizens?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2015, 03:23:07 pm »

Wouldn't my citizens claim those rooms?

I made rooms in tavern area, but counter on location screen does not change.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2015, 03:25:49 pm »

Not if you tie them to the tavern. Tavern rooms are specifically meant for outsiders. Your people might enjoy the tavern, but they're not going to claim rooms within it.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2015, 03:28:44 pm »

Perhaps I miss something? I've got a room designated and included inside tavern area. It's counted as a regular room.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2015, 03:32:24 pm »

You have to use q on the bed, set it as a bedroom, then hit l and assign it to the tavern. If it's not assigned, then it doesn't count. Even if it is within the tavern's territory.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2015, 03:36:35 pm »

Anyone building bone church from Czech Republic yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2015, 03:37:46 pm »

You have to use q on the bed, set it as a bedroom, then hit l and assign it to the tavern. If it's not assigned, then it doesn't count. Even if it is within the tavern's territory.
I tried doing it in every order. Tried to designated bedrooms and draw area over. Tried to draw individual rooms. Nothing seems to work.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16