Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48116 times)

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2015, 11:24:17 am »

As long as you make the isolation chamber self sufficient, I think their productivity isn't necessarily a concern.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2015, 11:38:01 am »

I make mine more like a bar type setup, with chairs and tables along the walls with a larger open space in the middle where people dance and tell stories in lieu of a pool table.
Rooms are wherever I can put them, visitors can take what's there and be glad for it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2015, 11:52:15 am »

Yeah, so far the only thing bothering my wereelephant is that she's lonely for friends and family;
I wonder what would happen if you carved a fortification into her wall. Do dwarves communicate through fortifications?

That's an excellent idea! Maybe make an overlapping tavern zone and see if she can partake in the dances and poetry readings on the other side of the fortification. I'll perform some science and find out.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »

@MobRules: I haven't seen any change in the track stop construction interface? I've constructed my QS' the same way as previously, and checking to place a track stop gives the same dump direction toggling? And my QS' work...

Ah, I'd always set direction after it was created, using the 'Q' key. That option is now gone. Didn't realize that you could also set it while creating the stop (in fact, I had wondered why you couldn't; must have just overlooked it!). Thanks!
That functionality is a DFHack add-on, and I expect it will be back when DFHack has been updated (with the current, original, method still available).

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2015, 01:42:17 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obviously, they're not finished. There was a hole in my roof I hadn't noticed until the settlement started filling up with zombies during a siege, so boulders haven't been moved out and the lower floor of the library and most of the furniture didn't get a chance to happen.
The reason the temple has an out of place wooden chair, is that it was a mood artefact chair. Also the goddess in question was of War, Death and Oceans, which is why the water feature features.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2015, 07:52:22 am »

Obviously, they're not finished. There was a hole in my roof I hadn't noticed until the settlement started filling up with zombies during a siege, so boulders haven't been moved out and the lower floor of the library and most of the furniture didn't get a chance to happen.
The reason the temple has an out of place wooden chair, is that it was a mood artefact chair. Also the goddess in question was of War, Death and Oceans, which is why the water feature features.

I was going to say "why water instead of MAGMA" but that works. You need more corpses, blood and weapons inside, though.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2015, 09:02:20 am »

So this is my first shot at a 42.xx fort. I got a really nice embark with shear walls going up around a volcano and an open plain in front of the fort. It's even got magnetite.

The central open space is the main hall of the fort. The next level down is it's floor. The well and tavern are on the left side of the main hall. The tavern has lots of cobaltite tables and chairs. The stockpile is to the left of that. It looks like it's time to fire up the stills. The ramp on the south side of the tavern goes up to the rooms. Some of them overlook the tavern and I'll put windows in those.

The two open spaces to the south with pillars are the two principle temples of this fort. Others will get less auspicious placement later. Their floors are also both down one z level. On the right is Nitish the God of War and Fortresses. I already got a masterwork steel statue of dwarves praying to him as the centerpiece of the temple. I've got no trees so getting pearlash is slow, but eventually I'll put in a glass block floor for the whole temple with the arena below.

The temple on the left is for Nëbush the Goddess of light and rebirth. Once I get another blacksmith up to legendary I'll start working on a silver statue for her and encrust it in gems. I put the crypt below her temple and cut a shaft up 20 some Z levels directly above where her statue will be so she will have light shining down on her from above. I smoothed the walls and put an iron grate at the bottom. Hopefully that will keep any nasties out. Can fliers and such attack grates they are standing on?

Also on the right of the main hall is the library, clothing industry and mayor's office and quarters. The King's throne room will be to the south of the temples again. At a higher Z-level, in fact, which surely symbolizes something.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:56:17 am by Bakaridjan »

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2015, 02:42:09 pm »

Not much in the way of architecture (no magma or water canals or anything fancy) Everyone seems to be mostly ignoring the instruments and just socializing

Church and library on levels above (and a small farm + food/booze stockpiles), tavern rooms below. Seems to be mostly selfsustaining if something happens to the rest of the fort.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2015, 06:03:11 pm »

duuude, an obsidian cast hell tavern ?

Also it appears that tavern quality may be relevant to the visitors you get. I was smoothing the entire tavern and added six gold statues to it (including two masterwork ones), so room value skyrocketed.

Then a month later waves of humans went to my tavern and petitioned.

I'm not sure, but...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:09:00 pm by Naryar »

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:46 pm »

Obviously, they're not finished....

Oooh! I really like your library! I take it we're assuming that dwarves haven't learned to read silently yet?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2015, 06:46:26 pm »

Has anyone housed a monster hunter outsider yet? I've gotten plenty of mercenaries and the like, but no hunters. Do you need an immediate access to the caverns or only need have discovered it?

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2015, 04:13:03 am »

Has anyone housed a monster hunter outsider yet? I've gotten plenty of mercenaries and the like, but no hunters. Do you need an immediate access to the caverns or only need have discovered it?
I have access to caverns for over half a year and it was discovered over three years ago. No monster hunter showed up, but I got plenty of bards, warriors and scholars. I guess hunters are rare.
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2015, 04:26:12 am »

I haven't seen any yet and I generally have a lot of visitors, like 20-30 humans at a time. My caverns are open intermittently when I go on logging operations and one was open for a long time due to an uncaught exploratory tunnel breach.

Given how quickly other folks show up (like the same day I created my tavern), it seems surprising to me that nobody has seen any monster hunters, maybe it's a bug, or maybe there are some as yet unknown conditions that we're not fulfilling.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2015, 04:53:17 am »

I went with a more natural approach:

The space is an empty magnetite and copper vein, in a sandstone layer.  The tables and chairs are hydrochalcum (blue gold) and the statues are stoneware.  If you've got big empty spaces, they'll sometimes start doing dance routines. 

Oh yeah, does anyone know what Tavern Keepers are supposed to do?  I can't detect any change in functionality with or without a keeper on hand. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:59:56 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2015, 05:10:35 am »

Maybe they don't do anything in fortress mode but get you another pseudo-noble, but make it so if you visit your fort in adventure mode, there's a tavern keeper to talk to and rent rooms from or something?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16