Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31

Author Topic: 42.XX Adventure thread  (Read 57617 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: 42.01 First adventure thread
« Reply #270 on: December 05, 2015, 04:21:00 am »

Two-handed swords are underwhelming. Damn.

And hmm. I clearly should add a recipe to Adventurecraft...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #271 on: December 05, 2015, 05:16:38 am »

So basically, if you really need books, embark a fort with a whole bunch of blank books and nothing else, then immediately retire it and go loot with an adventurer.

But if that was the case, why not just cheat yourself a fort that is just a library?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 05, 2015, 05:21:45 am »

Because cheating is cheating, whereas the fort-embark-method can be RP'd as the adventurer ordering a shipment. You could even embark it in the town your adventurer uses.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 05, 2015, 05:26:38 am »

So basically, if you really need books, embark a fort with a whole bunch of blank books and nothing else, then immediately retire it and go loot with an adventurer.

But if that was the case, why not just cheat yourself a fort that is just a library?
because then you're playing Fort mode building out a snazzy library your adventurer going to raid.

I kinda made a Inn for Fira but I think I did this in the NecroDancer file so there's a small slim chance she could write a book on secrets of life or death then
spread that like a knowledge virus. but pffft I had her write a story called "the life of Viper." should had her claim the site as a lady.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #274 on: December 05, 2015, 08:02:12 am »

Hmm, anyone else notice how there's plenty of "recruit" type people in this version? I don't recall seeing this many in the previous one...Dunno, maybe it's just me.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2015, 08:07:13 am »

Dancers and shit which are traveling have no significant combat skills so they show up as a recruit when you find them roaming around. Same reason you see giant lion recruits and whatnot. Go wrestle one long enough and it becomes a giant lion wrestler.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2015, 09:36:27 am »

They're pretty dang effective if you're a legendary death machine with assloads of strength and agility so that you can still hit while wearing a shield.

Otherwise yes, two-handed weapons are pretty damn terrible.

oh_no

Tlukle

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't you think my name is odd?
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2015, 09:44:47 am »

My first adventure with the new update comprised of deciding I wanted to play as a animal person and not a bird one and guess what. I chose a plump helmet man and thought I would try out the taverns then suddenly it hit me plump helmet men cannot TALK then I killed myself.
Alone on a hill I sat and thought oh what ever today might become not.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2015, 10:47:19 am »

>Be a plump helmet man
>Walk into a tavern where they're serving booze
>Realize that booze is made out of your little brethren
>You have no mouth and you must scream

Wait, this isn't /dfg/ is it?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2015, 10:48:23 am »

They're pretty dang effective if you're a legendary death machine with assloads of strength and agility so that you can still hit while wearing a shield.

Otherwise yes, two-handed weapons are pretty damn terrible.

Though it might be because I switch from a bronze scimitar to a copper two-handed sword. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2015, 11:21:31 am »

For my first adventure, I created a bard who valued knowledge above all else. Unfortunately, it turned out that most people in her civilization and its neighbors put no value in knowledge whatsoever. She visited eight settlements over the course of five days, writing songs and getting into arguments with everyone. To satisfy her need to be extravagant, she "borrowed" a full suit of lavishly decorated iron armor.

During her stay in the bustling town of Boatsrustic, she got into an argument with an animal dissector about the value of tradition. She tried to end the argument by praising the animal dissector's intelligence, but he took offense to her flattery, flew into a violent rage and attacked her. She grabbed his neck, threw him to the ground and then punched him in the throat, tearing open his carotid artery. As his blood spurted everywhere, turning the dirt floor into gory mud, he stabbed her in the face with his copper slicing knife, chipping her skull and tearing her brain. She collapsed on top of him and died as he bled out.

I *love* this new version.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2015, 11:40:08 am »

Rightleader is pretty much a juggernaut of death. Trying to cut him up and he tends to effortlessly parry 90% of my attacks, while his pike is death on a stick.

Savescumming ensues. =w=
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2015, 12:39:39 pm »

Rightleader is pretty much a juggernaut of death. Trying to cut him up and he tends to effortlessly parry 90% of my attacks, while his pike is death on a stick.

Savescumming ensues. =w=

Shit, I noticed that a lot in this version.

In the previous ones ringleaders/warlords/other bandit leaders weren't that much tougher.
Seems like in this one they're scary competent - I fought one for a while and couldn't score a single hit while they made me bleed out.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2015, 01:04:54 pm »

Savescumming ensues. =w=

Shit, I noticed that a lot in this version.

In the previous ones ringleaders/warlords/other bandit leaders weren't that much tougher.
Seems like in this one they're scary competent - I fought one for a while and couldn't score a single hit while they made me bleed out.

For added Fun, I had JUST opted to buff the force multipliers of big weapons shortly before encountering him.

And guess what a pikemaster had? ;w;

EDIT: Well. Been on the way back to civilizatrion that isn't goblin-infested, I picked up 2 more groupies in a hamlet. They were smack in the middle of goblin territory, so of course they had bandits in the street. Asking about who led the bandits led me to the camp with the pikegoblin and his stick of doom.

Then while traveling, stopped to rest and soon followed a trail that led me to intercet...a werewolf! Given how many werethings there are, a regular werewolf is a surprise.

We charged it while it was busy mauling some nearby buzzards, and it wasn't long before my new bronze short sword, hammered from scrap made from ill-fiting bronze armor, tasted its first kill.

And surprisingly all we took in return was Oxul getting a bruised cheek. I was afraid we'd have the moral conundrum of what to do with an infected comrade.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:32:13 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2015, 02:41:37 pm »

My second character just witnessed a loyalty cascade among the palace guards in her hometown's keep. The local lady had a very diverse group of hearthpeople from at least four different cultures (two human and two dwarven). An argument over values degenerated into a brawl, which in turn escalated into a fight to the death. When a crossbowman took a shot at the lady, my character tackled the would-be assassin and stood on her while a pikeman stabbed her to death.

Screenshots taken at the start of the fight:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ithev Obeygraves was the crossbowman who tried to assassinate the lady Olo Axedaubed.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31