Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 137

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 201520 times)

CulixCupric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.42.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #390 on: January 14, 2016, 02:11:31 am »

I am interested in finding suggestions and advice (tokens, techniques, etc.) on how to make the following creatures:

demon/infernal creatures, water elementals, oozes, nymphs/succubi, shadows/ghosts, ghouls/wights, shoggoths, pseudo-half-vampire-esque cultists

as well as advice in general for creature creation and entity definition.
Don't know what to put here... let me know if you have any ideas...

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 14, 2016, 07:33:23 am »

Hey, guys, is it possible to put in butcherable sentients?

I'm trying to do a troll race and I want them to have a group of "crap" trolls who can be just snatched up and butchered any time.

Would [SLOW_LEARNER] prevent that? If I remove that tag will they be butcherable and if they don't have that tag can they still use stuff like pickaxes etc?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 14, 2016, 08:48:17 am »

demon/infernal creatures, water elementals, oozes, nymphs/succubi, shadows/ghosts, ghouls/wights, shoggoths, pseudo-half-vampire-esque cultists

Not quite sure about cults, and don't really have advice for shoggoths. I think that some mods have something like that though. Masterwork Mod, maybe?

Demons can actually be placed in Hell, if you set their subterranean depth to 5.

Water elementals can be made of regular water, but will not be much of a threat due to being made of water. Similar goes for oozes, just use the creature extract template instead of water.

Not sure about nymphs/succubi. Maybe an interaction that causes good emotions?

I've seen shadows made of a custom fire template in one mod. They weren't tough though. Ghosts may be a bit harder to pull off.

Hey, guys, is it possible to put in butcherable sentients?

I'm trying to do a troll race and I want them to have a group of "crap" trolls who can be just snatched up and butchered any time.

Would [SLOW_LEARNER] prevent that? If I remove that tag will they be butcherable and if they don't have that tag can they still use stuff like pickaxes etc?

Change their ethics. EAT_SAPIENT_KILL and EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER. Though your civilization still won't cannibalize their own citizens.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 14, 2016, 12:06:31 pm »

Anyone got any ideas how to prevent a certain creature or caste from being made into a god? Like, if I wanted to prevent dwarves from being used as dwarf gods?

Change their ethics. EAT_SAPIENT_KILL and EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER. Though your civilization still won't cannibalize their own citizens.

Ah, thanks. Bit of a shame I can't make them cannibals, though.

Honalululand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 14, 2016, 12:22:04 pm »

A transformed creature cannot be transformed again; the only way to do that is to transform back, then transform again.
What ever happened to the truetransform script, anyway? I was pretty sure we used to be able to say, transform a cat into a dog into a horse.

And on a tangentially related note, I'm curious as to how precisely the spouse conversion works within vanilla. That is to say, is anyone making any efforts to bring the option to bring a similar reaction to spouse conversion to anything outside of worldgen? Or if not, where might I start to look?

The reactions as they are aren't functional in adventure or fortress mode to my knowledge, and in worldgen they cause entities to become hostile to civilization. I'd like something than doesn't cause such anti-social behavior and might be triggered by a DFHack script or a creature interaction

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 14, 2016, 12:27:11 pm »

What ever happened to the truetransform script, anyway? I was pretty sure we used to be able to say, transform a cat into a dog into a horse.

And on a tangentially related note, I'm curious as to how precisely the spouse conversion works within vanilla. That is to say, is anyone making any efforts to bring the option to bring a similar reaction to spouse conversion to anything outside of worldgen? Or if not, where might I start to look?

The reactions as they are aren't functional in adventure or fortress mode to my knowledge, and in worldgen they cause entities to become hostile to civilization. I'd like something than doesn't cause such anti-social behavior and might be triggered by a DFHack script or a creature interaction

You can transform creatures into other creatures using the "CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION" syndrome, including doing it completely permanently, but I'm not certain it'd convert them to your civilisation or anything. Load up a dwarf with a venomous transformative bite and let them go wild, I guess. See what happens.

There are some cool things like buffs etc there, though, which look very interesting. Some sort of civilisation with very strong key figures that buff all nearby creatures?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 14, 2016, 02:47:08 pm »

A transformed creature cannot be transformed again; the only way to do that is to transform back, then transform again.

Truetransform was replaced by modtools/transform-unit but CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION is fine as it only prevent another transformation to occur.

Spouse conversion is a bit complicated afaik, you can mimic this with a transformation and a script that reproduces makeown. I managed it partially in 0.40 but I guess 0.42 made it harder with the petition and troupe systems.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 14, 2016, 02:58:24 pm »

Why can't I butcher this creature? I've got a refuse stockpile filled with bodies and body parts, linked with two butcher shops. Refuse-using rules are set.

Spoiler: Creature itself (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Material template (click to show/hide)

I suspect that it's because of the plant material, but I want to be certain.

[upd] As an experiment, I've made this creature domestic (without [opposed to life]) and ordered some slaughtering. It had proceeded as it's supposed to... What gives?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:21:33 pm by Valikdu »

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 15, 2016, 02:57:38 pm »

Why can't I butcher this creature? I've got a refuse stockpile filled with bodies and body parts, linked with two butcher shops. Refuse-using rules are set.

Spoiler: Creature itself (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Material template (click to show/hide)

I suspect that it's because of the plant material, but I want to be certain.

[upd] As an experiment, I've made this creature domestic (without [opposed to life]) and ordered some slaughtering. It had proceeded as it's supposed to... What gives?

I'd say check the errorlog.txt for any shenanigans. Is the opposed to life tag necessary?
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 15, 2016, 06:47:07 pm »

The error log had been empty.
Well, they became butcherable after I'd given them a real body detail plan with layers... Previously, a corpse would be named as if it was a stack of wood-items (although it was really still just the one item), now it's named properly.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 15, 2016, 11:41:10 pm »

What determines which body parts are protected by what armor?
I'd like to remove mail shirts protection of wings, and add trunk protection to masks.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 16, 2016, 12:05:16 am »

I'd like to remove mail shirts protection of wings, and add trunk protection to masks.

Check out the Coverage section here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Armor

I'm not sure if you can quite specify which parts are specifically covered by armor though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 16, 2016, 01:00:45 am »

Check out the Coverage section here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Armor

I'm not sure if you can quite specify which parts are specifically covered by armor though.

Yeah, I've been reading through that. Not sure I understand it though. If that's all there is, it seems like there's no way for helmets/masks to be extended to cover grasps attached to the head (trunks)?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 16, 2016, 01:26:11 am »

This may help as well.

Last I checked, helmets only protect the head, and cannot be made to extend past it. They cannot even protect noses or other facial features.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 16, 2016, 07:22:49 pm »

This may help as well.

Last I checked, helmets only protect the head, and cannot be made to extend past it. They cannot even protect noses or other facial features.
So...what does a mask actually do?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 137