Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 137

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 201725 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.42.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #705 on: April 01, 2016, 11:25:39 am »

It'll be alcoholic tea, but these are dwarves making the tea after all.

Except if they're NOT dwarves because it's a modded race...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 01, 2016, 11:25:49 am »

I have a couple questions about modding, since it's been a couple years or so since i last played dwarf fortress and I feel like getting back into it.

1. do you have body parts nowadays that would only appear on adult members of a species ? I'm thinking here about cows growing horns upon maturity, that kind of thing.

2. eventually I want to create a civilisation, of minotaur people, where the individuals range from humanoid to minotaur to cow. I remember that I could do that using creature castes, but forget some of the intricacies of such things. Like, a creature that is milkable, cannot have the "can_learn" or "can_speak" or "intelligent" attributes, correct ?

3. one of the mods I used previously, was Rhenaya's Drow mod. sadly Rhenaya is no longer around. Does anyone know if that mod was adopted by anyone else and kept up to date ?

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #707 on: April 01, 2016, 11:37:40 am »

Irish coffee  to Irish tea huh?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:09:01 pm by Jerry The Hellbound »
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 01, 2016, 11:42:31 am »

Im really not good at reactions, can anyone write here a reaction for making 4 wood blcoks from 1 log?

Well, i managed to make a reaction i think, though the option shows up on the carpenter menu,whenever a carpenter tries to make blocks ''dwarffortress.exe has stopped working pops up
Any help?

[REACTION:MAKE_WOOD_BLOCKS_FOUR]
   [NAME:make wood blocks (4)]
   [BUILDING:CAPRPENTER:NONE]
   [REAGENT:wood:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:4:BLOCK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:wood:NONE]
   [SKILL:CARPENTER]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_WOOD_BLOCKS_FOUR]

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #709 on: April 01, 2016, 11:59:21 am »

I think it's possible to make drinks that aren't alcoholic, though, you just need to somewhat edit the alcohol template to remove the potential syndromes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 01, 2016, 12:07:29 pm »

I have a couple questions about modding, since it's been a couple years or so since i last played dwarf fortress and I feel like getting back into it.

1. do you have body parts nowadays that would only appear on adult members of a species ? I'm thinking here about cows growing horns upon maturity, that kind of thing.

Try just using the same code as exists for hair/nail growth. It'll mean juveniles will have horns, but they'll be small, and having them grow in is more accurate, anyway.

The alternative is to have some sort of syndrome transformation, but that might be a bit too drastic when there's a simpler solution.

2. eventually I want to create a civilisation, of minotaur people, where the individuals range from humanoid to minotaur to cow. I remember that I could do that using creature castes, but forget some of the intricacies of such things. Like, a creature that is milkable, cannot have the "can_learn" or "can_speak" or "intelligent" attributes, correct ?

IIRC, this is correct.  Keep in mind that nearly everything is "caste-level" unless noted otherwise in the wiki, so you can have tremendous sexual (or "caste") dimorphism.

3. one of the mods I used previously, was Rhenaya's Drow mod. sadly Rhenaya is no longer around. Does anyone know if that mod was adopted by anyone else and kept up to date ?

Can't help with that except to say to use the search function.  If you can find the original mod thread, you should probably see where someone stepped in and linked a new thread if they kept it up.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 01, 2016, 12:43:04 pm »

I think it's possible to make drinks that aren't alcoholic, though, you just need to somewhat edit the alcohol template to remove the potential syndromes.
It may still count as alcohol for the purposes of dependency. Then again, I don't know if any testing has been done on the subject.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 01, 2016, 02:22:58 pm »

If they prefer "alcohol" even without [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT], then it can exist simply as a flavor thing.  (Although visiting dwarves would probably not beeline to the alcohol like you'd expect.)

Alcohol in general exists as a standard material mat, so I can make a tea mat that would basically be similar without alcohol's explosive or intoxicating properties. I could also add a special tea house workshop if need be, (such that it takes water,) although I'd still probably be pre-brewing tea and leaving it in barrels.

I looked on the forums, and there is talk of tea, and some mods with "magic" teas or tea-as-alcohol in major conversion mods (like My Little Pony mods that I guess don't want to focus on alcohol for thematic reasons) but not a fairly simple tea mod. 

I could also add a few simple plants to make herbal teas easy options, like chamomile flower crops.

Basically, entirely doable, although I would honestly rather put off doing it until I play around with existing taverns a little...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 01, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »

The alcohol material template has [ALCOHOL_PLANT] which I guess makes ALCOHAL_DEPENDANT creatures happy after drinking it, and it's already been said that you should remove the inebriation syndrome
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 01, 2016, 03:09:18 pm »

1. no

2. not correct IIRC, though only in the literal sense that you can have both milkability and intelligence, not sure if they can actually be milked

3. no, i'm the only other person who's tried since iirc and, uh, i really don't like drow as it turns out

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 01, 2016, 03:22:22 pm »

I'm making a new material, and mostly using water's stats in it, and that allows me to also get rid of syndromes.

Amusingly, however, one of the syndromes is something that makes drinkers of alcohol experience euphoria and alters their personalities to be more immoderate, so I could still add in a different syndrome that just gives tea drinkers some sort of "warm fuzzies".

I'm presuming, though, that [ALCOHOL_PLANT] is what makes creatures want to drink it, and therefore, isn't something I can change, and it isn't a category, but a token that seems to have a hard-coded use.

I'm also not sure how to differentiate the brewing of tea from brewing of alcohol in a Still workshop...  Stills are now part of the raws, but unless I don't have to label drinks with DRINK_MAT I'm not sure how to segregate them into different tasks outside of making stills that only take from tea plant stockpiles and stills that only take from fermentable plant stockpiles.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 03:24:46 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 01, 2016, 03:24:09 pm »

[ALCOHOL_PLANT] means that it's stored in plant alcohol stockpiles and satiates alcohol dependency. Doesn't do anything else AFAIK.

Obvious way is just to put brewing all into a category and make tea and alcohol brewing separate reactions. Categories are so nice.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 01, 2016, 04:11:21 pm »

[ALCOHOL_PLANT] means that it's stored in plant alcohol stockpiles and satiates alcohol dependency. Doesn't do anything else AFAIK.

Obvious way is just to put brewing all into a category and make tea and alcohol brewing separate reactions. Categories are so nice.

But would there be any other way to get my drinks to go into my drink stockpile besides keeping that token? 

I remember I had to declare my glaze powders to be POWDER_MISC_CREATURE (bone meal, unused, which is why I used it) to get them to stockpile separately from regular stone and ore.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 01, 2016, 04:49:47 pm »

Im really not good at reactions, can anyone write here a reaction for making 4 wood blcoks from 1 log?

Well, i managed to make a reaction i think, though the option shows up on the carpenter menu,whenever a carpenter tries to make blocks ''dwarffortress.exe has stopped working pops up
Any help?

[REACTION:MAKE_WOOD_BLOCKS_FOUR]
   [NAME:make wood blocks (4)]
   [BUILDING:CAPRPENTER:NONE]
   [REAGENT:wood:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:4:BLOCK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:wood:NONE]
   [SKILL:CARPENTER]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_WOOD_BLOCKS_FOUR]
BLOCK:NONE should be BLOCKS:NONE, other than that I can't see any problems. Anything in the error log?

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 02, 2016, 06:29:19 am »

Hey can I make a Civ literally in the ocean? I am not suggesting it be possible to play a civ in the water, just need to know if there can be underwater sources of fish people that come to land :P

Could I make it so that a crafting interaction requires the tooth of a specific species of creature? Or the eyeball of a snake? Or a leaf of a specific tree since you can pick leaves :O
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:51:35 am by Atomisk »
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 137