Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 137

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 201198 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1965 on: October 29, 2017, 08:44:04 pm »

I want to say yes, and Trees are still a PLANT object. But someone else can correct me
Sure does.

Sweet, thanks guys. Forests shouldn't be made up of 80% fruit trees.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1966 on: October 29, 2017, 10:25:10 pm »

I'm trying to make "generic" materials for all the creatures in DF at this moment to hopefully de-clutter some of the menus however it seems MEAT objects are still prefixing the creatures name (in this case I have the MATERIAL creature called Organic) so Bone and Fat and Skin looks to work fine, but butchered MEAT items are shown as "prepared organic eye" this is not what I'm intending I want it just to be "prepared eye"

as I have to create Fireproof version and tougher versions too so as to have
"prepared eye"
"prepared fireproof eye"
"prepared tough eye"

But I'm not sure what is still triggering these materials to keep the default prefix

Spoiler: Material Creature File (click to show/hide)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: October 29, 2017, 10:45:00 pm »

Can you just make the name fields empty, like [NAME:::] (or maybe [NAME: : : ])?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: October 29, 2017, 10:59:47 pm »

not sure if empty would work, however since these materials are housed in a creature object there is the potential of someone liking them
"Urist likes organic for their meaning of life and death" unless that never happens due to no FANCIFUL tag, then I could try that. But if someone can still like it and I have the name as blank it'd look like "Urist likes   for their meaning of life and death"

If push comes to shove I can just name it "fresh" or as a quality like "mundane"
"prepared mundane eyes"

If there is no way to fix this, then I'll have to find something that makes sense for MEAT items to be prefixed with by the name that also makes sense with someone liking them as a prefstring

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: October 30, 2017, 06:53:30 am »

Need prefstring to like something, but they could prefer to consume it.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: October 30, 2017, 01:01:41 pm »

Hmm I had always thought you needed a prefstring but that consumption desire will still make the naming difficult. I guess if that is how meat works I'll have to work around it. Thanks guys

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: October 30, 2017, 03:02:42 pm »

Name the creature "animal". Now you have generic animal meat.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: October 30, 2017, 06:24:27 pm »

Or make two types - red meat and white meat

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: October 30, 2017, 08:02:49 pm »

not sure if empty would work, however since these materials are housed in a creature object there is the potential of someone liking them
"Urist likes organic for their meaning of life and death" unless that never happens due to no FANCIFUL tag, then I could try that. But if someone can still like it and I have the name as blank it'd look like "Urist likes   for their meaning of life and death"

If push comes to shove I can just name it "fresh" or as a quality like "mundane"
"prepared mundane eyes"

If there is no way to fix this, then I'll have to find something that makes sense for MEAT items to be prefixed with by the name that also makes sense with someone liking them as a prefstring
just add a [DOES_NOT_EXIST] to your fake creatures.  then they stop having preferences for it.

Also I suggest fake creatures for everything that creatures make that you would like to standardize.. such as leather (MDF named it rough), and blood, ooze etc (spilled) or fluffy for fake wool (which I made) lol... Its pretty easy we went the qualifier with DOES_NOT_EXIST and I've never seen a pref string for any of it..

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: October 30, 2017, 08:44:31 pm »

Name the creature "animal". Now you have generic animal meat.

That works, I'd just have to make another one for "sentient" for humanoids with intelligence however that might confuse people seeing "prepare sentient brain" is it a brain that is alive and prepared to face the world? or a prepared brain of a creature that is sentient? My other option is "humanoid" making it clear that most of those that are sane wouldn't eat something that is apparently human like.

Or make two types - red meat and white meat

Hmm that idea sounds good too, but what about fish and crabs? do they count as white meat? Squid and Octopus?

just add a [DOES_NOT_EXIST] to your fake creatures.  then they stop having preferences for it.

Also I suggest fake creatures for everything that creatures make that you would like to standardize.. such as leather (MDF named it rough), and blood, ooze etc (spilled) or fluffy for fake wool (which I made) lol... Its pretty easy we went the qualifier with DOES_NOT_EXIST and I've never seen a pref string for any of it..

Yeah that was the goal, fake creatures (or as I call them, Material Creatures) just so they hold the material definitions. And good shiz about the DOES_NOT_EXIST

EDIT:
so I might go with the "animal" idea from pikachu17 combined with DOES_NOT_EXIST from Amostubal. I like the Red meat, and White meat idea too, but if I ever wanted to add more pricey versions I'd have to double up "exotic white meat" "tainted red meat" etc.

Maybe I might adapt it, I just would like to keep the clutter down making DF to be a bit more useful rather than "here's 100 copies of the same thing"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:52:52 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: October 31, 2017, 09:42:35 am »

Fish is mainly white meat, aye.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: October 31, 2017, 03:39:42 pm »

You do know no fort game civ can eat intelligent beings, right?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: October 31, 2017, 06:20:52 pm »

which is a bug, but also true

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: October 31, 2017, 07:24:08 pm »

Fish is mainly white meat, aye.
Right on

You do know no fort game civ can eat intelligent beings, right?
If you mean civs you can play? Yes you're right, but there are Elves.

which is a bug, but also true
Did recent changes to the ETHICs make a Elf fortress no viable for eating everyone?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1979 on: October 31, 2017, 07:28:37 pm »

Yeah, there's a glitch in the current version where no creature can eat the meat of sentients, or even use any of the products for crafts and the like, unlike in the previous version - this includes semi-sentients like Trolls or Ogres.

Even with different ethics nothing changes - thankfully this is getting fixed in the next version.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 137