Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 137

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 201516 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1590 on: March 03, 2017, 01:24:35 pm »

Yeah, the animals predate them, but my modded dwarf entry is 294 lines, to represent things like body hardening and ninja speed type changes I have a martial dwarf entry after it with two castes that have their own stuff going on, samurai females, warrior monk males, and it's 76 lines. I could reduce it more but didn't feel like tossing stuff like all the attribute changes/skill learn rates/natural skill bits into the c_variation so I could vary those per caste/race as I saw fit.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 03, 2017, 01:30:53 pm »

Yeah, there comes a point where you just want that information in the creature. Especially if it's a self made entry, if someone is interested in it you don't want them to have to open up multiple files just to figure out what is going on. I was originally interested in CV tokens for my random creature creator, but I decided to go a different route (same premise but the creatures are all created with full raws), which is actually where all these questions are coming from. Gotta make sure that all creatures it makes are viable, and since the creator just selects from a list of pre-defined templates that means making sure all connections are correct and all body parts get materials.

That reminds me, is it still true that if I don't give a body part a material then it will do weird things like "attack passes through" and such?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 03, 2017, 01:43:45 pm »

I thought if would just spit errors or try to use the first material?

I think you could do a minimal creature definition, then use creature variations for a build-a-horror grab bag effect though.

Look at how the animal person one does the cvct master/target/replacement stuff, took me a little bit to get used to what it's doing but it is actually a neat toolbox.

If you did it with fallbacks right you could probably have it so any conflicts get picked up and fixed within the variation itself, and from there just doing stuff like having variations for limbs, materials, attacks, interactions, right down to names and castes and tiles are all possible.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 03, 2017, 07:10:30 pm »

From my modding experience, missing materials seem to do all three of those things depending on criteria that I don't actually know (they always spit errors though

newoldbroccoli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 03, 2017, 09:18:34 pm »

Hey is there any way to make it so only a Specific caste can be nobles

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 03, 2017, 09:56:43 pm »

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 06, 2017, 07:27:43 pm »

I thought if would just spit errors or try to use the first material?

So following up on this, trying to figure out how ordering matters in the raws (i know for many things it doesn't, but I think it does for this stuff).
1. Would this;
Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
Be equivalent to
Or would the second one throw an error because SKIN, FAT, etc... aren't defined before being used. And what about
Here we define the materials, but don't define tissues for them until after the layers call?

2. Similarly
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:NAIL:FRONT]
vs
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:NAIL:FRONT]
In this case would placing the detail plan after the tissue layer declaration mean that the tissue declaration was overwritten?

3. Lastly, if I used the standard way of material declaration
And then later used
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:STRONG_BONE_TEMPLATE]Would the BONE material be overwritten?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 06, 2017, 09:31:29 pm »

Wait, I thought for first material that it went with like skin, or whichever one was listed first in standard materials?

Tarsius

• Bay Watcher
  • this is something that shows up below your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 07, 2017, 05:53:13 am »

is there a way to make tree growths other than fruit harvestable?
if the answer is no, is there a way to make trees drop its growths in addition to logs when cut?
and this is something that shows up below your post

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 07, 2017, 09:33:40 pm »

Is there a way to hide workshops that need magma?  they keep showing up in my workshop list before magma is discovered.

It seems the need magma furnace buildings don't show up until magma is found, but in the workshop list they appear always...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: March 07, 2017, 11:56:44 pm »

is putting [MATERIAL_VALUE:1] to material make it non economic?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 08, 2017, 01:49:13 am »

To my understanding, a stone is economic if it is used in any reactions, or as flux or fuel for metal smithing, and I think adamantine also counts just from being a spire material. Metal ores also count as economic stone. The actual value of the stone is irrelevant, it could be anything.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 08, 2017, 08:47:55 am »

so will it still considered economic if i make reaction that turn produce into that material ? or it only restrict to the reagent reaction ?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 08, 2017, 04:31:13 pm »

It should only be economic if it is used to make something, not because something can make it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 137