Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 137

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 201906 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1110 on: June 11, 2016, 05:41:37 pm »

What's the exact science for weapons getting stuck in wounds?

I'm working on some treants, and I'm trying to tidy up the wood material template so it actually behaves a bit more like wood. However, I can't seem to get weapons to get stuck in the treant's wounds. Is this something determined in the material template, or does it have more to do with tissue layers?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 11, 2016, 06:16:16 pm »

"walkable building" search turns up nothing, so I'm asking here: Is it possible to mod buildings to provide walkable surface to level they're on or to the level above, similar to the way bridges provide it?

Not that I know of, no. Buildings don't need all their tiles touching solid ground, but they cannot be made to create support.

I'm working on some treants, and I'm trying to tidy up the wood material template so it actually behaves a bit more like wood. However, I can't seem to get weapons to get stuck in the treant's wounds. Is this something determined in the material template, or does it have more to do with tissue layers?

May help to see the raws. As far as I know, the only way for stuck-ins to be prevented is if your creature has the [NOSTUCKINS] tag. And are you using an edged weapon? Stuck ins occur much more rarely for blunt weapons.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 06:18:17 pm by BlackFlyme »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 11, 2016, 06:20:00 pm »

I don't think we've figured that out yet. My anecdotal experience is that the further in you go with a narrower blade, the more likely you are to snag in. Maybe there's some kind of threshold where if you exceed the ratio of (cm of penetrated meat/cm of contact area)?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 11, 2016, 06:41:24 pm »

May help to see the raws. As far as I know, the only way for stuck-ins to be prevented is if your creature has the [NOSTUCKINS] tag. And are you using an edged weapon? Stuck ins occur much more rarely for blunt weapons.

Spoiler: Here's the creature (click to show/hide)

(There are other biome variants, but they're all identical except for differences in tree type and biome)

No real science there, just trial and error until it starts 'feeling' right in arena combat.

Right now, only real issues are that scratches can cause fractures (certainly some error I made in the template) and the aforementioned lack of stuck-ins.

I've used axes, spears, hammers - pretty much all the main weapons made from various materials (copper, bronze, steel, candy). While they all do quite a bit of damage, I've yet to see a stuck-in attack.
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 11, 2016, 06:43:55 pm »

Beyond the tag, I don't know much about stuck ins. Maybe it requires a flexible material to snag onto? Someone more knowledgeable than I will hopefully know.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 11, 2016, 08:24:13 pm »

Well, I figured out the issue it seems.

I'm certainly no expert, but I added BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS token, using a layer of 'bark' tissue and three other layers of wood. Now weapons are properly being stuck in wounds.

But NOW the problem is that a single jab with a copper spear with totally break any body part, rendering it useless (IE a leg/root is stabbed - it is totally destroyed and rendered unusable to walk). I removed the FUNCTIONAL tag for my custom wood tissues, shouldn't that mean the tissue will continue to function unless it's served or destroyed by heat/cold?

The rest of the creature and the wood template I posted above are all the same.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 11, 2016, 08:38:07 pm »

The tag that's causing the problem is STRUCTURAL.  If a structural tissue is broken, the limb becomes useless.  You'll want that only on the innermost layer (the pseudo-bone).  FUNCTIONAL indicates that the tissue enables some special tag on the bodypart.  Lungs, eyes, etc. have a functional tissue, and in most cases they have only that one tissue.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 11, 2016, 09:12:41 pm »

The tag that's causing the problem is STRUCTURAL.  If a structural tissue is broken, the limb becomes useless.  You'll want that only on the innermost layer (the pseudo-bone).  FUNCTIONAL indicates that the tissue enables some special tag on the bodypart.  Lungs, eyes, etc. have a functional tissue, and in most cases they have only that one tissue.

Thanks a bunch, makes sense.

Now I just need to figure out the various yield and fracture points of wood  :'(

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 12, 2016, 02:50:44 am »

Has anyone tried to replace generated Forgotten Beasts with modded ones ?

As it is possible with clowns, I wondered if it was possible for FB.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 12, 2016, 08:52:43 am »

Nope, can't be done. [GENERATED_BEAST] can only go on generated creatures.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 12, 2016, 01:34:18 pm »

I meant, without using the exclusive tags.
For clowns, there is a roundabout way to make modded clowns appear in the HFS and initial wave, which is setting the number of clowns to 0 and adding [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] and [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5] to a creature.

So I wondered if there existed a similar way for FB, and I'm too lazy at the moment to test it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 12, 2016, 01:55:27 pm »

[GENERATED_BEAST], and only that, makes FBs act like FBs, and you can't put it in user-defined raws. Sorry man.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 12, 2016, 01:58:46 pm »

I see, how saddening.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 12, 2016, 03:38:40 pm »

That's not to say you can't have some horrible subterranean abominations appearing as wildlife with small populations as individuals, though. You won't be informed about them arriving and theyll be considered wild animals, but that just makes it more Fun.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 14, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »

Is there any way to add new hairstyles for civilizations? I'd like to give goblins some mohawks, but I can't seem to find any info on making new styles. Am I missing something, or is this currently not possible?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 137