Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do we deal with the wererats?

Scare them into the deeper parts and cave in parts of the cavern, sealing them in
Take out their leaders and try to convince them to surrender
Slaughter them all
Ignore them and look elsewhere
Other (post and specify)

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 86

Author Topic: Let's Play Pathfinder: A Call To Arms - **CANCELLED**  (Read 108284 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Pathfinder: A Call To Arms - Chapter 3: Making of a Nation
« Reply #1155 on: July 04, 2016, 10:46:16 pm »

Martijn shoves Arioch so that he jostles Jehane, then tries to look surprised at Arioch's "trip."

Let's see if he can pull it off with no one knowing it was him!
((You really need to update your sheet... You still haven't spent your skill ranks))
(18+7) (Stealth) (15+3 vs 14) (CMB vs CMD) You shove Arioch and no is skilled enough to notice you doing it. He staggers and falls into Jehane, who breaks concentration with the giant's gaze. The crowd gives a chuckle at this display, and Ulf speaks up after stifling a laugh.

"As for the knowledge on how to make those tools, we won't press you for it. We will ask for the tools in proper instead.

I also believe you are still searching for a place to finally call home. Have you found a place yet? I think we should get to the finer details of this and discuss territory while we're in good spirits. We'll let the newcomers show us where they wish to be, and we will see if that is in anyone's territory, be it ours or another Clan's."
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 04, 2016, 10:55:56 pm »

Ritiki spoke up.

"One of the places we thought of was on the plains between the river and the forest. The existence of a certain giant snake, however, makes that idea unworkable from a safety standpoint." The ratman shook his head ruefully, forepaws spread apart.

"Your people have lived here for generations, and know more about the land and its dangers than we do. We would certainly welcome input on the matter of where to settle."
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 04, 2016, 11:26:12 pm »

Ritiki spoke up.

"One of the places we thought of was on the plains between the river and the forest. The existence of a certain giant snake, however, makes that idea unworkable from a safety standpoint." The ratman shook his head ruefully, forepaws spread apart.

"Your people have lived here for generations, and know more about the land and its dangers than we do. We would certainly welcome input on the matter of where to settle."
"So it was not a mistake of what you have said... Ouroboros has awoken from his long rest...

He does not go out of the woods to hunt prey, but if he seems prey in the wood and they go out, he will follow. We're lucky the Great Serpent is territorial.

Harvesting things from the woods may be an issue, however, not just for you but for us as well.

At the very least, the Grey-Tails will have to avoid there or get eaten by him...

Speaking of them, they're dangerously close. They don't have much territory on the surface, but they will steal whatever they can if given the chance. You will either have to oust them, collapse their tunnel enough that they will not be able to come that way, or we will have to come with some sort of agreement with them... And they are not usually willing to deal with us... Or the Earth-Shakers, whom they fear, for that matter."

Borg gives a proud smile on his old face.

"If you're willing to find a way to push them deeper into the tunnels, Bjern can collapse the tunnels so they can't go out that way anymore. They use the naturally made tunnels to maneuver, and even though they dig in dirt, stone is not their preferred substance. If you think we're trapping them, we're only just severing one head of the hydra. Their tunnels are far and extensive. It would be a horror to behold if they had access to tools to easily break stone...

Any other places you wish to look? Perhaps one requiring less work."

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 05, 2016, 01:19:59 am »

((Martijn continues being lucky! Since if Jehane had noticed what he had done, we'd either have a chase sequence, or he'd be a punching bag on the ground. >_>

As it is, I wouldn't go bragging about it where she can hear. Just saying. :P ))

Jehane scrambles to her feet, face burning red in embarrassment and anger. She hisses out curses in a tongue that feels like nails dragging down a mental chalkboard.

Spoiler: Infernal (click to show/hide)

While Ritiki takes the lead in the negotiations, Jehane takes deep breaths, gathering her anger together and shoving it down. Now wasn't the time to show weakness. Not in front of the assembled tribes they were hoping to impress. Definitely not in front of the tribal that had challenged her. She could feel that bundled rage inside her chest, a glowing, burning coal that was lodged right next to her heart. Her face was impassive, and her color had returned to normal, though a muscle in her jawline twitched with the intensity of how she was gritting her teeth.

Reentering the conversation, she steps up next to Ritiki.

"We attempted to set up a meeting with them, only to have them ambush our current caves. It went badly for them, but they are fanatically opposed to the arcane arts, and want several of our clan dead.

Do either of you have an idea of their numbers? We've been skirmishing with them since we arrived, and they've lost a dozen or two by now, at least, as well as many of their dire rats and rat swarms. If they're weak, it might be easier to force them from their tunnels, particularly if we can use those tunnels to get a start on mining metals."

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 05, 2016, 03:07:23 am »

((So Arioch who was pushed himself doesn't know he was pushed?))

Straightening himself with an impassive face over a burning fury, Arioch tries to stabilize things.

"What she means is that we can manipulate the rock in that cave to make instruments. I understand why you'd be opposed of the arcane arts, however they're not going to stop existing if we close our eyes. I reckon we make it a strength.

As James said, I tried negotiating with them alone and it ended with them taking positions to attack me. and dying We tried more negotiations and we struck a deal to meet with them some time after the moot. They agreed and we were attacked the next night. I do not know if it is them or a splinter faction. They do know our position, but we've since gotten some more arms.

Ideally we'd get rid of the Grey-Tails and the Ouroboros or find a way to tame the snake and convince the rats.

Finding another place isn't the problem. The problem is finding a place with plains, forest, river and mines like this one."

Arioch sighs

"Maybe we're just getting too greedy. Take baby steps first, eh?"
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 05, 2016, 09:50:35 am »

Varg speaks up.

"Ouroboros will be the least of our concerns. A wild animal is easier to predict than the Grey-tails.

There are at least a hundred of them, and they think of others of their clan as expendable, save for a very select few. They lose four, and they'll return with eight for revenge. If we can force them deeper in to the caves, and scare them with sheer numbers alone, we might be able to deal with the bigger of two threats.

Once that is dealt with, having a good watch to maintain the area, and your people should be safe from the serpent until we can deal with him."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 05, 2016, 02:45:19 pm »

Martijn suddenly seems interested.

My father always said that the more exits your enemy has, the higher the chance he'll end up at your back. And I don't think we want these gray tails behind us again.

Can you mark the map with the known entrances and exits to the caves? Perhaps they can always create new ones, but if we block them off in all current ones - perhaps with carefully laid fires - they won't be able to attack us from behind, and we can focus all our forces on one entrance without worrying about knives in the dark.

This type of person, the type that kills for profit and revels in the spilled blood, will not die without a fight, or an attempt at some form of cunning counter attack. We should be wary of them, and not underestimate their intelligence simply because of their were-shape.

His piece said, he falls into a contemplative silence leaning on his staff until he realises that the others are looking at him, at which point he smiles disarmingly and begins to look around himself in a semi-vague manner again.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 05, 2016, 04:20:54 pm »

Jehane rubs her temple as she thinks out loud.

"Between our group and Njord's group, we've killed twenty or so of them. That leaves 80 or so over, more the I think we want to try to handle at this point. We could possibly take them with the help of both tribes, but we'd be weeks in hunting down the rats in their tunnels, and we'd take heavy losses against a foe prepared in their own home.

Maybe if we had a company of dwarvern tunnel fighters in full plate and with silver weapons, but might as well wish for a dragon while we're at it. No, unless they're fools enough to come out and fight us, I think we are best served by taking their tunnels as far as the first splitting and collapsing them back up to the surface. Give them weeks or months of labor to break out again, and plenty of warning if they are trying.

You also mentioned there are a few they would protect. Can you describe them? It's good to know which ones to take particular pains to kill, as it will break their leadership and their morale."[/color

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 05, 2016, 06:28:55 pm »

Jehane rubs her temple as she thinks out loud.

"Between our group and Njord's group, we've killed twenty or so of them. That leaves 80 or so over, more the I think we want to try to handle at this point. We could possibly take them with the help of both tribes, but we'd be weeks in hunting down the rats in their tunnels, and we'd take heavy losses against a foe prepared in their own home.

Maybe if we had a company of dwarvern tunnel fighters in full plate and with silver weapons, but might as well wish for a dragon while we're at it. No, unless they're fools enough to come out and fight us, I think we are best served by taking their tunnels as far as the first splitting and collapsing them back up to the surface. Give them weeks or months of labor to break out again, and plenty of warning if they are trying.

You also mentioned there are a few they would protect. Can you describe them? It's good to know which ones to take particular pains to kill, as it will break their leadership and their morale."[/color

"I know of one, and we encountered him; Ratatosk. He's their hero of sorts. I'm also surprised as well; while most of our kin has some minor kinship with animals that are like us, he manages to be able to work with most animals. He never has one companion for too long, but he always has an animal companion with him. We didn't see him with one, so that surprised me. I've fought him before, but his companion died for him. While it was crushing for him, he managed to escape. He's different than his kin, but he is loyal to them. He's their champion, more or less."

"They have one magician amongst them, and he is quite dangerous. If you see him, it is best you leave him be. He's very... Portly, to say the least. You can't miss him in a crowd. We do not know his name, but it is best we don't find out.

They do have a leader of sorts, but he's more of a spearhead than a ruler. He's their most cunning of theirs, and the most fearsome. He is the tallest, strongest and most intimidating of them. He's littered with scars from many skirmishes. He fights with the strength of ten of his clan, and his ferocity is only matched by the White-Fangs. He carries two blades of that metal that are almost twice the size of their regular blades. His name is Aerdri, but most call him the Lord of the Caves.

If any of them were to fall, they would be routed within seconds, and there would be a hole in their leadership. If Aerdi were to fall, I'm certain most attacks would stop for an extended period of time.

I do reacall that an explorer of ours found out that all the caves, save for a select few, eventually meet at this large cavern underground where most of the wererats reside. They can't seem to navigate them well, but they navigate it better than anyone else."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 05, 2016, 06:34:00 pm »

Ah, but will they hide in their tunnels if they are being smoked out? Crooked grin.

Besides, if we hold the entrance and they're inside, then their very safety would work against them. Only a certain amount could emerge at any given time, and we have a few....magic users amongst us. It's just a thought, and it is predicated upon our ability to scare them into their caves rather than meet us in the open, but I think it could work. Given their skill set favours tunnel combat, they're likely to retreat there. Then all we need do is set the trap and force them to fight us in less favourable terms. Besides, in such confusion a nondescript person like me could..take care of one of their leaders.

It would be best to keep Varg and his friends in supporting roles, though. Given the rats' superior number of silver weaponry, it would be best for them to avoid direct combat as much as possible.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 06, 2016, 01:09:27 am »

Jehane starts in surprise at Borg's words, then starts smiling, breaking into chuckling and finally into full out laughter.

"They have a magician? With all their talk of 'the forbidden magic, no one's allowed to use it'? Hahahahaha, I love it! Those hypocritical bastards! I'm sure he'll hide behind whoever is present, but I'll enjoy killing him more then the others."

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 06, 2016, 03:11:28 am »

An idea strikes Arioch's mind. He pulls his head up and covers his eyes with his forearm. He starts lightly chuckling.

"Friends, I think you are forgetting something. We have somebody that looks very similar to them in our midst. What do you think about implanting him in their leadership?

If only one of their leaders falling would rout them, would it not be possible afterwards to convince their followers to follow Ritiki here? Obviously there will be a few fanatical ones, but we will take care of those.

I was thinking that, were we in a fight with one of those three leaders, we should focus on taking care of them as quickly as possible and then convincing them to lay down their arms and join Ritiki's protection. In fact, I'm rather confident we can pretend that he's our boss and I would speak during the battle, changing their minds.

They are living beings. Their main goal is survival. This may work if we play our cards right."
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 06, 2016, 09:41:09 am »

Jehane starts in surprise at Borg's words, then starts smiling, breaking into chuckling and finally into full out laughter.

"They have a magician? With all their talk of 'the forbidden magic, no one's allowed to use it'? Hahahahaha, I love it! Those hypocritical bastards! I'm sure he'll hide behind whoever is present, but I'll enjoy killing him more then the others."
"I think the magic is more similar to a Druid or a clerics, rather than a sorcerer or summoner, like Arioch and Njord are. Magic seems more to be attuned with gods and spirits here than from one's self.

Am I right on this?"

The woman nods.

"I also doubt they would follow under someone who looks like a stunted version of their kind... No offence, Ritiki. Maybe if you use your words like you do normally, we could try that..."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 06, 2016, 08:33:54 pm »

Ritiki waved the insult away, though in truth the frequent jabs at his height and build were starting to wear thin.

"Would not want the job anyway. Too much chance of a knife in my back, if their negotiation practices are any example."
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 06, 2016, 10:58:39 pm »

Ritiki waved the insult away, though in truth the frequent jabs at his height and build were starting to wear thin.

"Would not want the job anyway. Too much chance of a knife in my back, if their negotiation practices are any example."
((I really need to stop having him do that. Its not something he would really do. I've been out of it, haven't slept well recently.))

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 86