Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread  (Read 9121 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2015, 12:14:44 pm »

I'd never thought cows would be a major source of pollution :o
._.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2015, 12:21:17 pm »

It's not necessarily cow farts, but the whole production chain. There's an enormous amount of (fossil-fuel based) energy spent on growing and transporting crops that are used to feed the cattle, for instance.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2015, 01:04:32 pm »

It's not necessarily cow farts, but the whole production chain. There's an enormous amount of (fossil-fuel based) energy spent on growing and transporting crops that are used to feed the cattle, for instance.
Eh, why is it so hard to believe?

Cows are already the nation's single largest source of methane, a greenhouse gas produced by oil extraction, decomposing trash, and the guts of grazing animals that's as much as 105 times more potent than carbon dioxide. A single cow farts and belches enough methane to match the carbon equivalent of the average car. According to a 2006 United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization report, the world's 1.4 billion cows produce 18 percent of the world's greenhouse gases—more than the entire transportation sector.

Watch those sexy bags inflate, for fuck sake.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2015, 02:58:34 pm »

help the climate, eat chicken! ( or go vegetarian or vegan. That is even better, but as you progress toward no animal products at all, balancing  a diet becomes harder. also, you dont get to eat meat as a vegan, which for many is undesiderable.)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2015, 03:51:34 pm »

Damn, I couldn't live without dairy products. And unlike with meat, switching to kangaroo for that is not an option...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2015, 03:56:02 pm »

Fuck vegetarians with their rainforest killing soy tofu  ;D

EAT INSECTS

Also who needs milk anyway. Humans are the only mammal that gets stuck in the suckling infant stage that way. Sometimes I think that goes for our mental prowess too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:59:52 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2015, 04:01:14 pm »

Damn, I couldn't live without dairy products. And unlike with meat, switching to kangaroo for that is not an option...

Actually the world's dairy needs could be easily met with only a small fraction of the cows we have now. It only takes 9 million cows in the USA to not only meet US demand, but supply a significant export market as well.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2015, 04:15:16 pm »

True dat. Did you know that my very tiny speck of land called the Netherlands is producing enough excess milk to supply over 50% of the whole of China's demand in baby milk powder?

We control China. They do as we say or we starve all their babbies
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:22:24 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2015, 04:32:01 pm »

In theory dairy production could be transferred to another animal anyway, but since none of the existing livestock species have been bred to the extent that cattle have for milk there'd probably be an overall decrease in production for several decades if we switched over to goats/reindeer/camels for milk.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2015, 05:13:22 pm »

Also nut-based milk.
Ew. That stuff's worse than low-fat.

Soy milk I can get behind though, but it's very different from cow milk - I wouldn't want to miss either.

In theory dairy production could be transferred to another animal anyway, but since none of the existing livestock species have been bred to the extent that cattle have for milk there'd probably be an overall decrease in production for several decades if we switched over to goats/reindeer/camels for milk.
Those types of milks don't taste the same though.

I wonder what whale milk is like...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2015, 05:25:56 pm »

Wrong mouth feel. Whale milk is almost all fat, and is very very thick.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2015, 05:32:30 pm »

For reference:

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2015, 05:40:35 pm »

Confirmed: NZ is worse than sodding China.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2015, 06:43:41 pm »

Isn't the West the largest consumer of milk, what with lactose tolerance being a mutation and all?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2015, 06:47:34 pm »

Ayup. And our economy is basically built on exporting cow juice.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10