Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread  (Read 9131 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2015, 01:41:56 pm »

Where-ever it has been cold enough year round that it wouldn't melt. As you raise the temperature gradually...

Ok... So you would need to raise the world's temperature by about... 20 degrees celcius.

Which would fry the world long before we would get flooded.

But fictional world... Lets say magical pixie dust melts all the ice. How flooded would things be? barely...

the Flooding in Miami (or whatever state) is, unfortunately, completely unrelated to Climate change.

*ahem*

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+would+the+earth+look+like+if+all+the+ice+melted&safe=off&biw=1024&bih=444&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiz_4ez5r3JAhVX_WMKHbi8Dk8QsAQIGw

Now, keep in mind the fact that most of Earths populations live along the coastlines, tell them that it would barely be flooded, hell, tell those islanders on those islands in the Pacific which are already being threatened by sea level rise, that it'll barely flood.

edit: Made my emphasis less shouty.

Don't worry the fact that they will be oven cooked by earth's temperatures by this point. :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2015, 02:09:02 pm »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is a moral imperative to stop having children.

This may interest you.

The idea of exponential growth leading to sudden collapse has been obsolete since the early 70's.

A quick perusal of the abstract (have not read the full paper yet) suggests this is a "farming tech saved us, through use of fossil fuel based fertilzers, yay!!" paper.

a couple problems with that:

1) fossil fuels from which the nitrogen fertilizers used to accomplish this are made, are already post-peak production  This means it is going to be more and more expensive to manufacture the fertilizers.

2) The use of these fertilizers coupled with persistent heavy industrial agriculture renders the soil nutrient delpeted, making the soil unproductive (like - at all - unproductive) without those fertilizers. (this process has been known scientifically since the 40s.)

3) The reliance on fossil fuel for these fertilizers further enhances the effects of global climate change, due to the strongly carbon-positive nature of this production.

4) as global temperatures rise, climate will render previously farmable land into deserts (or swamps).

Basically, we just missed Malthus by taking a different route to the destination. That doesnt mean his catastrophe cannot happen even still, in the face of contractions in the rate of population growth. (the trend, coupled with this incorrect notion that the danger has passed, leads to an inevitable confluence of badness.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2015, 02:20:19 pm »

Okay, lets ignore that rather extreme example and look at projections of sea level rise as of this year, which are mainly between 1 to 2 meters sea level rise: https://www.google.com/#q=what+is+the+current+projected+sea+level+rise+by+2100&safe=off&tbs=qdr:y (I'd probably ignore the top one saying 6m, which is a bit high for end of century levels I think, unless it accelerates or something)

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+the+current+projected+sea+level+rise+by+2100&safe=off&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=444&tbs=qdr:y&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwijsbuz8L3JAhVGxWMKHdxvDk8QsAQITQ#imgrc=_

While 1m might not seem like much if you're far inland, it's still a significant amount of sea level rise.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »

Increase in rate CAN (and in some models, is predicted!) happen due to destabilization of coastal shelf methane-clathrate deposits releasing fucktons of methane into the atmosphere in a very short period of time.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2015, 02:40:55 pm »

Also, the more the ice melts on the poles and on mountain tops, the more sunlight warmth will be retained by the planet. As in, white ice reflects a lot of solar warmth back into space, dark soil under the ice absorps most of it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2015, 01:31:28 am »

That's a weird thing to fixatə on.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2015, 02:24:37 am »

Anakin? Is that you?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2015, 02:25:24 am »

For what it is worth, I have never understood this strange fixation people have on immaculate grammar and spelling, rather than on the factuality of the content.

That's like being presented with gold and jewels, but scoffing because the gold is in the form of gold nuggets, and the jewels are raw and uncut.

In my book, it beats polished lies any day-- So why the hangup?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2015, 02:33:43 am »

It's not like criticising the presentation invalidates the content. You can appreciate one and not the other. Or both. Or neither.

That's a weird thing to fixatə on.
I mostly just found it funny.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2015, 02:47:52 am »

I also found it funny, especially in an imagined dutch accent.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:57 am »

I feel honoured to have my typo be discussed in half a page of thread.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2015, 04:10:07 am »

It was funny, but I still hate you.
For what it is worth, I have never understood this strange fixation people have on immaculate grammar and spelling, rather than on the factuality of the content.
Honestly, it's just that 'ə' that irks me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2015, 04:23:56 am »

I can't səe your issuə with that onə.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10