Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread  (Read 9132 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 10:36:24 pm »

supper battery factory

Now imagining a factory that produces battleship cannons which launch suppers encased in protective rubber cannonballs. For rapid delivery of humanitarian assistance!
New from amazon.com! :P

also this http://www.npr.org/2015/12/01/458020744/businesses-awaken-to-the-opportunities-of-action-on-climate-change
and oh man those comments. such large amounts of strawmen and falsity all around.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:10:50 pm by redwallzyl »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 02:34:01 am »

Dunbar's Number.
(google it yourself, doing bb code on a phone is terrible.)

Basically, it's the average number of unique people that a human is able to track all social connections with. It typically hovers around 200 people.

It seems to be a hold over from our evolutionary development. Sadly, in the modern world, it tends to be "not enough."

Cities, hell-- some neighborhoods have more than that many people living in them, and this brain-space is being competed for by all kinds of things, including fictional people, and celebrities.

Outside this memory space, we have to rely on imperfect approximations of this knowledge, which is partially what gives rise to stereotypes, and other nasty things.

When it comes to hugely big numbers like those mentioned, out brains just dont have the resources to properly conceptualize what exactly that means. it becomes a faceless statistic.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 02:47:49 am »

"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 06:08:52 am »

"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."
and 5 billion deaths saves the ecosystem
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 12:15:37 pm »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is a moral imperative to stop having children.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 01:01:00 pm »

"Hey, Miami's not flooding. That's some OTHER cities.  >:("

Oh, well, as long as you're okay with cities flooding during high tide, news reporter person...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 01:04:51 pm »

Uhhh...

The whole "World flooded" aspect of Climate Change is purely fictitious. Since the temperature change required to do it would be far more deadly then the actual flooding.

The actual danger of climate change... might have to do with climate change... you know... a change in the climate... as in the climate is different.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is a moral imperative to stop having children.

Not really for any developed nation as our birthrate is extremely low.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:06:46 pm by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 01:07:12 pm »

You do understand that ice melts, right?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 01:09:08 pm »

You do understand that ice melts, right?

Ok, lets go with that.

Now where is the vast majority of the earth's ice?

Now, what is the temperature of this place?

What temperature would be required to melt it?

Now if ALL this ice melted, how much would the ocean's water rise?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:12:07 pm by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 01:11:47 pm »

Where-ever it has been cold enough year round that it wouldn't melt. As you raise the temperature gradually...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 01:13:09 pm »

Where-ever it has been cold enough year round that it wouldn't melt. As you raise the temperature gradually...

Ok... So you would need to raise the world's temperature by about... 20 degrees celcius.

Which would fry the world long before we would get flooded.

But fictional world... Lets say magical pixie dust melts all the ice. How flooded would things be? barely...

the Flooding in Miami (or whatever state) is, unfortunately, completely unrelated to Climate change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 01:27:28 pm »

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:29:48 pm by Shadowlord »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 01:28:39 pm »

Ok... So you would need to raise the world's temperature by about... 20 degrees celcius.

Which would fry the world long before we would get flooded.

But fictional world... Lets say magical pixie dust melts all the ice. How flooded would things be? barely...

the Flooding in Miami (or whatever state) is, unfortunately, completely unrelated to Climate change.

*ahem*

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+would+the+earth+look+like+if+all+the+ice+melted&safe=off&biw=1024&bih=444&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiz_4ez5r3JAhVX_WMKHbi8Dk8QsAQIGw

Now, keep in mind the fact that most of Earths populations live along the coastlines, tell them that it would barely be flooded, hell, tell those islanders on those islands in the Pacific which are already being threatened by sea level rise, that it'll barely flood.

edit: Made my emphasis less shouty.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:31:57 pm by smjjames »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 01:35:00 pm »

This may interest you.

The idea of exponential growth leading to sudden collapse has been obsolete since the early 70's.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10