Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread  (Read 9106 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread
« on: November 30, 2015, 05:17:24 pm »

So the talks started today to try and save the world. Nearly 200 nations and 150 world leaders are present including Obama and Xi Jinping the president of China. this could mark a change for the world or a huge failure. So thoughts? News from the conference? post it here.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:53:48 pm »

Everyone's going to give it lip service and then proceed to do somewhere in the region of fuckall about it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:08:05 pm »

Everyone's going to give it lip service and then proceed to do somewhere in the region of fuckall about it.
Basically this.

Honestly, I actually kinda want some psychopathic enviro-extremists to take over - at least they're going to do something rather than faffing around and bleating about muh economy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:40:39 pm »

Shut your carbon-spewing mouth hole, plebe.

Yeah, I'd like to be more hopeful but let's face it...anything Obama agrees to will be stillborn in Congress. And without the US making a serious commitment, any agreement is just numbers on paper.

On the other hand, some of the rhetoric in support of the Paris talks is hyperbolic. Obama himself claimed that the talks are an "act of defiance" against ISIS. Really? Really?? Has ISIS turned into the villains from Captain Planet? Are they sitting in a bunker in Raqqa going "Curses! The decadent Crusader dogs have agreed to reduce their carbon emissions 12% over five years!"  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:56:08 pm »

I think that he meant that the fact that the meetings were happening and were being held in Paris is what Obama was referring to, after the attacks.

On that note, I am very disappointed they've shut down the protests.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:02:24 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to be more hopeful but let's face it...anything Obama agrees to will be stillborn in Congress. And without the US making a serious commitment, any agreement is just numbers on paper.

The Obama administration won a supreme court case a few months back that says the EPA can regulate carbon emissions under the clean air act.  So if Congress remains useless, the Obama plan still goes forward.  It's not the best regulatory regime we could have but it's not nothing.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:06:11 pm »

Shut your carbon-spewing mouth hole, plebe.

On the other hand, some of the rhetoric in support of the Paris talks is hyperbolic. Obama himself claimed that the talks are an "act of defiance" against ISIS. Really? Really?? Has ISIS turned into the villains from Captain Planet? Are they sitting in a bunker in Raqqa going "Curses! The decadent Crusader dogs have agreed to reduce their carbon emissions 12% over five years!"  ::)

I think he was just trying to make a point that cancelling the talks in Paris would set a bad precedent that a terrorist attack could change politicians plans like that.

You know, basically he was trying to say we aren't going to let terrorists change our plans.

Politico has a live blog on it if anybody wants to look. You may have to use something other than FireFox because it was crashing FF for some damn reason: http://www.politico.eu/article/cop21-paris-climate-summit-liveblog/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:22:13 pm by smjjames »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 10:24:32 am »

Obama seems confident in the talks. ignore the url name its only part of the article.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/12/01/457986043/obama-urges-turkey-russia-to-lessen-tensions-focus-on-islamic-state-fight

also looks like big agriculture is stepping up the the plate in support of the talks. hopefully where logic has failed to chocolate and cheese can convince people. :P
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/01/456369536/as-big-food-feels-threat-of-climate-change-companies-speak-up

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 11:25:34 am »

I wonder if anything will be said about the new trade treaties (TTP and TTIP) facilitating increasing carbon emissions in the name of increased trade?

TTP and TTIP just sound worse and worse the more we learn about them. I'm hoping they get brought up at the Paris talks so the environmentalists can join the coalition of ticked off interest groups.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 11:38:19 am »

Honestly, I actually kinda want some psychopathic enviro-extremists to take over - at least they're going to do something rather than faffing around and bleating about muh economy.
The problem with those is that they fail at taking action.
"If you don't stop cutting down the forest, we'll burn you to the gr... hmmwait, too much CO2.."
"If you don't stop bio-industry, we'll send suicide bombers to your restaura.. ermwait no, that'd kill too many innocent animals.."
"Stop hunting whales or we'll sink your shi.. crap no, that might leak motor oil into the ocean"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 01:17:39 pm »

I wonder if anything will be said about the new trade treaties (TTP and TTIP) facilitating increasing carbon emissions in the name of increased trade?

TTP and TTIP just sound worse and worse the more we learn about them. I'm hoping they get brought up at the Paris talks so the environmentalists can join the coalition of ticked off interest groups.
You'd have a better chance of making congress do something that isn't 'object to every single point obama has' than getting them to speak up about their precious secret deals treaty of stupid.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 08:15:47 pm »

It goes like this; we need to stop the climate change but how? Livestock have large emmissions but too many people depend on meat to eat.
Ahh cars, trucks ships and planes up carbon emissions how about we stop that, " no we cant do that too many people rely on the trade and delivery of their products and you cant stop people driving to work. That would stop a large chunk of the world our profits"
Well what about all the people, surely we have enough consumers? Couldnt we just kill a few billion? "Hmmm we currently are trying to find out a way to do so sir but we havnt found a way that wont raise questions"

Are you willing to never drive a car again? to never eat chocolate again or to miss out on wagu beef with rice noodles!
Not me baby, not by a long shot! If we survived an Ice age we sure as hell will survive a Fire age
MUHAHAHAHAHA say goodbye to your beach home Daniel!
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 08:23:02 pm »

Humanity as a species has the technological capacity to survive basically anything nature throws at us. The problem is that it's difficult and will require massive changes to our way of life.
The point of addressing climate change is so that we only need to make relatively small changes now, as opposed to completely screwing over our descendants.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 08:23:42 pm »

There are theoretical alternatives that have a high initial cost outlay, but which would mitigate the problem, in regard to the transportation issue.

Say for instance, coupled antenna inductance charging embedded in roadbeds. This would significantly extend electric vehicle drive time, as the only time vehicle battery would be depleted, would be when off major traffic arteries equipped with this. (Means you could drive your prius across the US, since 90% or more of your trip will be on the highway system, etc.)  Immense initial outlay of expense (lots of highway needs to be upgraded. (torn up and relaid).) but significant reduction in vehicle carbon emissions. (Since we can even remove deisel powered delivery trucks from the mix, and use higher draw electric delivery trucks instead-- the same inductance circuitry would enable them as well, since most of their traffic flow is on big highways as well.)

The issue usually boils down to "Oh my! Such an expensive thing! WHO WILL PAY FOR IT!? Don't make me pay for it daddy! It hurts my wallet!"

Nevermind that climate change will hurt their wallet a WHOLE lot more.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 08:25:42 pm »

I still live on a dirt road because yearly budgets. That will never happen.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10