Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brand new iron mail shirts suddenly tattered?  (Read 926 times)

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
Brand new iron mail shirts suddenly tattered?
« on: November 29, 2015, 02:04:58 pm »

In the spring I had my Legendary Armorsmith make four iron mail shirts. Two were masterpiece, one was regular, and the other was well-crafted. It is now summer, and upon receiving word that one of my carpenters made a masterpiece wooden shield, I checked my armor bin to find every single iron mail shirt with X's around them, indicating they are "showing signs of wear". The shirts were never worn by anybody.

Can someone explain to me what happened?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Brand new iron mail shirts suddenly tattered?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:19:27 pm »

Refuse pile. Does your armor pile have any refuse-type items enabled?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 02:22:00 pm »

Refuse pile. Does your armor pile have any refuse-type items enabled?

It does  :-[

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 02:25:35 pm »

I've disabled all refuse on my stockpile, but there's still the issue of the shirts.

Should I just melt them down for iron, or can I still sell them to caravans in the condition they're in?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 02:35:27 pm »

I've disabled all refuse on my stockpile, but there's still the issue of the shirts.

Should I just melt them down for iron, or can I still sell them to caravans in the condition they're in?
Anything which can be sold to a Caravan, can be done so regardless of condition.  One of the running jokes in DF is that ☼xxClothingxx☼ can be sold for a tidy profit.  Essentially the merchants will pay a small fortune for Dwarven rags, b/c masterwork cloth, lol.  As for melting; since only a portion of the item counts, you need to keep track of which Smelter is dedicated to melting jobs, in order to accumulate the new bars.  Unless iron is super-rare, you're better off just selling the shirts.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 04:01:40 pm »

Also, am I better off just transferring all weapons and armor to a stockpile within my barracks? I just finished building one and it doesn't look like anything gets moved automatically

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 05:02:57 pm »

Building what? A weapon rack and armor stand? Those are heavily bugged and only rarely store stuff. I'm not even sure what stuff is intended to be stored there. Just use dedicated weapon/armor stockpiles wherever you need them most. (Usually the barracks.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 05:22:23 pm »

There's no need to stockpile weapons and armor.  Make it as you need it.  Melt the low-quality items and let the others stay in the workshop until they are assigned.  It will take bunches of armor to start cluttering the workshop, and clutter is not the end of the world anyway.  Clutter means you have too much stuff and need to back off making more.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 07:39:37 pm »

Personally, I like to keep a modest stockpile for when I inevitably draft all survivors in to a last-stand militia.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 03:59:12 am »

I would sell the worn masterworks, since the maker gets a negative shock when a masterwork is destroyed. If metal is in short supply, I'd then buy the same amount (or more) back from the caravan. The others I would melt down. In general, I try to make/melt everything produced until I've gotten the militia decked out in masterworks only (it also has the positive side effect of the militia not dumping their gear just before a fight because a shinier piece just came out from the forge). If my metal supply is limited (which it usually is, as I rely on Goblinite) I may halt the melt/reforge process when the resources get low (need to keep metal on hand for moods, if nothing else).