Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space  (Read 38291 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2016, 12:13:03 pm »

"Amelia. Get to the cargo bay. I want your assistance, your help for this..."
"Woo! More welding to do? Or electronics? Can't wait to do that again."

Aid Tobias; also voting for Pirate Salvage!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2016, 01:35:27 am »

Er?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Recap, and Things
Last time we left off our freshly established salvage crew had finished their first mission, and offloaded all the salvage through the proper channels after arriving at Calmar's sole spaceport which, while known under various names, is commonly called Draxis Station. After spending a short time on board the station purchasing essential equipment, some heavier weaponry, and unknowingly narrowly avoiding arrest the crew has seemingly settled on their second mission: the reclamation of some settler space vessels that had been destroyed at the hands of pirates. Shall our greenhorn crew strike it rich amidst the shattered carcasses of transport ships, or will the nefarious powers that be intervene in hunt of easy prey? Find out in the next episode of Space Peasants in Space™.

"Amelia. Get to the cargo bay. I want your assistance, your help for this..."

Make two exoskeleton batteries. Use Amelia's assistance and the advanced toolkit, etc, to make it a simple a job as possible.
"Woo! More welding to do? Or electronics? Can't wait to do that again."

Aid Tobias; also voting for Pirate Salvage!
Dio and Amelia quickly set to work on the second phase of the exosuit project, the creation and integration of a removable battery power system into the exoskeleton for future additions to what is quickly becoming a humanoid tank rather than an exoskeleton. The work is fairly easy once you divvy it up with Amelia handling the creation of the battery box and installation port, and Dio handling the actual creation of the battery inside that box and any wiring connections needed to enable power to run through the suit's conduits. Together you succeed in creating the battery install hard-point, but when it comes to the creation of two batteries the end result is that only one of them comes out usable with the other quickly turning into a pile of melted metal caused by a rather spectacular fire the moment you attempted to charge it. Sadly you are only able to salvage about half of the components used in the second battery with the rest either being fused into the metal case, or melted beyond recognition.

Ten Advanced Electrical Components used to create a Makeshift Battery, one unit of scrap metal used to add a Battery Installation Hard-point to Exoskeleton. Lost five Advanced Electrical Components in the failed creation of a second battery.

Neil offers a firm handshake and then sits down.

”Delighted to meet you… Miss? Ms Carol. You too sir, Mitchell. Hmm. I’ve a crew looking for work at the moment… well, kind of already doing some work, but you know, we’re flexible… Tell me about these pirates?

If there’s anything particular you think a small crew might be able to handle that could help out, we’re flying one quick job and then might be able to make ourselves available.”

Engage in intelligence-gathering conversation with the three, and if it doesn’t lead to an offer of immediate/urgent work, join the consensus vote of the pirate reclamation job and head back to the ship so we can leave on the mission.

As you greet the two Carol seems to smile at your usage of Miss, and Mitchell only goes so far as to grunt in reply before downing the remainder of the beer clutched in his hand. When you ask about the pirates Harold nods toward Mitchell who quickly sets the empty beer bottle down before pulling out a thin black slate from his back pocket, and placing it on the table before tapping it several times in a strange rhythm. In-sync with his tapping the black slate lights up as a hazy blue hologram appears in the air above the table revealing a rather simplistic map of the Blackmartyr system, and without hesitation he points his hand to the fifth planet in the hologram causing it to zoom in as colors seem to bloom into being. What it reveals is a planet with a strip of verdant green islands with clear blue oceans spreading across the center of the planet with the majority of the southern, and northern hemispheres covered in vast ice caps with the south pole strangely dominated by cracked black plains. You easily recognize this planet, the fifth planet in the system designated officially as Trendamere ... but you know it better by the name given to it by original settlers of Calmar, False Hope.

Looking at the rotating planet projected above the table you're amazed that a lowly Head of Security could own a device capable of creating such an advanced hologram, and even though the question of how he has it plagues your mind you decide against asking as Mitchell finally speaks.

"If you're a native of Calmar then you probably know this planet well, False Hope my ancestors named it for it was the first place that the original settlers who came here had attempted to colonize before the Massacre of Polis caused the mass evacuation, and later move to Calmar. Since then the planet has been classified as a death world, and all further attempts at colonization have been abandoned due to the inherent risks involved in trying to form a settlement on a planet where almost all native life wishes you dead. Of course, even though its warned against colonizing the planet, or making trips to it some humans still do go to the surface in the hope of striking it rich and when the planet was evacuated after Polis there were quite a few settlers who didn't make it off.

Even though many of them died some still learned to survive in that hellish place, and their descendants can be found roaming the Central Strip in small nomadic tribes who have regressed quite far and its rumored that many have turned to cannibalism throughout the centuries. All of this adds together to what is essentially an entire planet that is off limits to Customs in its entirety making our job of keeping the system in a state of peace difficult when our own government forbids all deployment of Customs, Law Enforcement, or Military forces to the surface and even orbit of Trendamere. We are quite certain that the recent bands of pirates that have been active in the system are using this death world as their home with a base hidden somewhere on its surface, but without any exact idea where their base is and no intel on the pirate groups themselves we can't exactly hire someone to take them out.

This leaves us in our current positions, on edge and simply waiting for yet another call to come through that a pirate vessel has somehow slipped through our patrols and destroyed yet another civilian, or merchant vessel with ease. I'm not exactly allowed to make any major decisions and I can't promise the pay will be anything like what you get for working for Macnameer, but we really do need any help we can get to find out about these bastards. Any intel you can find, or retrieve about these bastards would be much appreciated, and if you just so happened to receive a stray package filled with credits after giving us something useful then that'd sound like some upright citizen helping pay his dues.

All I have to say is don't stretch yourself to far trying to find information, we're not sure what all these pirates have, but one thing is for sure: they've somehow got their hands on some military grade naval hardware which puts an under-budgeted organization like us at a disadvantage.
"

Spoiler: Crew Account (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dio Costanzo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rocco Coleman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)

GM Note: Your GM is bad at things sometimes. (By sometimes I mean all the time.) To explain my the rather long hiatus: I have recently (its been a month now) obtained a job following which finals came around for my college classes, and that pretty much killed any fun activities that weren't purely to keep my sanity. However, now finals are over and I've got the time/energy to pick this back up for those still interested!

1) The exoskeleton progress has actually been updated in the project spoiler.

2) I failed to actually explain what the armor for Gig's exoskeleton actually does, but basically the exoskeleton has stats similar to the way a ship works. It has an armor rating that comes from the type of material used to make the plates which is slowly chipped away by enemy fire, and a structural rating which (once that part starts taking damage) means the core parts of the exoskeleton like the battery system will start getting damaged or destroyed.

3) Ship spoiler in the OP properly updated with all the new items, and I've removed the hull plates and replaced them with the armor plating Gig had made.

4) This isn't something I missed, so much as I feel that it would be best to inform you guys so you don't think jobs from Macnameer are the only thing you can/have to do. You're required to do at least two jobs for the Macnameer Corp every three months, but aside from that you guys are free to take whatever kind of work you wish to so long as you cover the costs, and still continue to sell the goods you salvage/find through Macnameer (or illegally depending on how you want to roll). On top of that you can buy the ship from Macnameer, and thus be free to do completely as you wish for 750,000 Credits (payment plans are available).

5) Just to give you a concept of power scale/strength to go on in the near future: the average adult human (25 years old) in universe, when stated using the current system has twelve hit points and one skill at the starting level related to their profession. This means you are all slightly more skilled than the average space peasant.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:14:15 pm by adwarf »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2016, 03:25:04 pm »

((Getting employed is good.))

Good thing I was just an average peasant, then, and not an average space peasant.

"Wowza! Wonder how cannibalism and survival can be in the same sentence.
And I wonder why pirates would destroy ships instead of stealing them too..."
he mutters, mostly practicing his English and not really expecting others to overhear.

Knowing that he'd be heading into danger, Dio decided it would be best to arm himself. How, though, he wouldn't really know given the utterly alien military tactics of this era. He decided to settle on hiding behind someone else for now, and proceeded to prepare for launch.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2016, 04:13:43 pm »

Neil gets up and extends his hand to all three in turn.

"Thanks Mitchell, Miss Carol. Me and my men will keep an eye out then - it's in everybody's best interests, isn't it... Perhaps we'll have a reason to catch up next time we're back in port."

And just to Harold:

"Thanks Harold. I'll get in touch if there's anything useful. Say. I'm guessing that if we came face to face with anything we reckon is a pirate, we should probably get the hell out of there, right? Is there anything in the system that we might be able to get hold of that could level things up at all? Ship? Weaponry? Some kinda gadgets? You know, nothing free - but that we can aim towards buying sometime... keeping ourselves out of trouble till then..."

Neil listens to any reply, and just before turning back to the ship:

"Oh, and that Miss Carol... She really a Miss?"

Go back to the ship if everyone is ready let's set course for the pirate reclamation job, the details of which I need to look up in my notepad.

((good to see you are back adwarf :) ))

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2016, 04:34:27 pm »

((good to see you are back adwarf :) ))
Thank you, nice to be back! :P

Also, have a 2D map of the Blackmartyr System made by GUNINANRUNIN.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2016, 06:24:39 pm »

Coleman put his hand to his chin in thought for a bit. He thought of what to say, and decided to restate the mission parameters once more for the sake of confirmation. He'd had a few difficulties remembering mission details himself in the past, but he'd learned how to extract the critical details from the background info. Turning to his teammates, he began his recap.

"All right folks. Our objective is to try to find any intel we can get on some pirates who are using Calmar as their hiding place, or even a base of operations. The pirates have managed to get their hands on some military-grade tech, so we should try to go sneaky beaky like to avoid direct confrontations. So, are we all ready to go or is there something we need to do first?"

Coleman wondered how they'd be able to find the intel for a bit. It'd be somewhat doubtful that it'd be possible to shoot down the ships and collect the intel then as that could damage the ship's databanks, but it'd also be difficult to board the ship without attracting the attention of the targets - and their military-grade weaponry. And this was all assuming they were able to find the pirate ships in the first place...

EDIT: ((I checked the list of Class 1 weapons in one of the previous posts. Why are so many of them "Unreliable"? I'd assume technology has only advanced over the years, yes? Most firearms these days probably wouldn't be jamming on rolls of 1 to 4 (I think, my only experience with them has been through a computer screen).))
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:53:55 pm by AzyWng »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2016, 09:51:56 am »

EDIT: ((I checked the list of Class 1 weapons in one of the previous posts. Why are so many of them "Unreliable"? I'd assume technology has only advanced over the years, yes? Most firearms these days probably wouldn't be jamming on rolls of 1 to 4 (I think, my only experience with them has been through a computer screen).))
Technology has certainly advanced quite far and some powers have access to fully autonomous drones, laser weaponry, and much more. However, the galaxy is not in a good position for the most part, this is a very borderline dystopian setting with most major powers being tyrannical dictatorships, cold and calculative oligarchies ready to sacrifice anything for profit, or ruthless monarchies with an entire people steadfastly dedicated to serving their rulers without question. A common factor among all those major powers is a history of severe internal strife that has led to major restrictions in the potential distribution of armaments to the populace not to mention that the farther you get from the core powers of Galactic Space the less likely a planet is to have the industrial capacity to create the more advanced weaponry.

With entire nations aiming to keep powerful weapons out of the hands of potentially rebellious citizens, weapon producing megacorps hell bent on dominating the market with their goods and suppressing newcomers to the scene, overall restrictions from the Galactic Council, and the rather poor conditions of outer rim systems they're not really capable of locally producing high quality arms. At least not in a quantity that can meet the demand of such a large population, and pretty much all Class I weaponry is something that is locally built based on rented megacorp designs or smacked together to just barely fall under the Class I guidelines. Keep in mind that the vast majority of Calmar's population are in crippling poverty, the credits the crew made from their first mission is an amount that an entire family of six or seven would require years to earn, and even then most of it would need to be spent during those years as living expenses.

Class I weapons are only something that the very bottom social class will purchase, and their quality reflects this.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »

Technology has certainly advanced quite far and some powers have access to fully autonomous drones, laser weaponry, and much more. However, the galaxy is not in a good position for the most part, this is a very borderline dystopian setting with most major powers being tyrannical dictatorships, cold and calculative oligarchies ready to sacrifice anything for profit, or ruthless monarchies with an entire people steadfastly dedicated to serving their rulers without question. A common factor among all those major powers is a history of severe internal strife that has led to major restrictions in the potential distribution of armaments to the populace not to mention that the farther you get from the core powers of Galactic Space the less likely a planet is to have the industrial capacity to create the more advanced weaponry.

With entire nations aiming to keep powerful weapons out of the hands of potentially rebellious citizens, weapon producing megacorps hell bent on dominating the market with their goods and suppressing newcomers to the scene, overall restrictions from the Galactic Council, and the rather poor conditions of outer rim systems they're not really capable of locally producing high quality arms. At least not in a quantity that can meet the demand of such a large population, and pretty much all Class I weaponry is something that is locally built based on rented megacorp designs or smacked together to just barely fall under the Class I guidelines. Keep in mind that the vast majority of Calmar's population are in crippling poverty, the credits the crew made from their first mission is an amount that an entire family of six or seven would require years to earn, and even then most of it would need to be spent during those years as living expenses.

Class I weapons are only something that the very bottom social class will purchase, and their quality reflects this.

What about making/upgrading my own weapon? How much would that cost and the like?

Consider some kind of workshop with which to upgrade/craft equipment.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2016, 06:20:21 am »

What about making/upgrading my own weapon? How much would that cost and the like?

Consider some kind of workshop with which to upgrade/craft equipment.

We have equipment for that; tinkering with things is what my character is built around. If you want me to try something, ask my character IC.

----

Tobias wasn't too impressed with the battery, but at least this one worked - as opposed to being a bunch of melted scrap.
Still, he had what should soon be a working exosuit.
Try to finish it off. Wrangle Amelia's help if that'd make it easier.
He began planning out a rough thruster system, to allow manevouring in zero-g
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:58:45 am by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2016, 06:27:53 am »

TK goes to his room and just starts exercising (mainly focusing on push-ups and sit-ups) until it's time to depart.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2016, 06:31:30 am »

Amelia boards the ship and as she noticed Dio's adjustments (for who else would've modified the navigation area)...instead of going with her first thought of "Examine the mechanics of the Navigational Logistics Improvement (Modification)",

She decides to browse through her book. [1/2]

"Are we ready to deploy for the next mission yet, Captain?"

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2016, 06:57:16 am »

(got room for one more)?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2016, 07:11:51 pm »

After a brief bit of deliberation on how to go about improving/modifying his own weapon, Coleman remembered that a mechanic/inventor was already on board.

"Hey, Trent, since it'd be rather unsafe to enter into direct combat with these pirates, maybe you could make a suppressor or similar for my rifle?"

"And speaking of which,"
he addressed the others, "How are we going to get the info without being spotted?
We could try to follow the targets discreetly if we had something to hide behind or some kind of cloaking system, or if we could follow them from far away enough, although those would all require equipment or environmental objects we might not have.
We could try to disable a ship, board and clear it, then search for info located on the ship itself, although the targets would likely know something was up and we'd have to fight our way through the ship, which is somewhat dangerous.
And lastly, we could always abandon stealth in favor of attacking and destroying pirate ships and hoping that some information will be salvageable, but since they've got military grade gear and the odds of salvageable information appearing are luck-based, I wouldn't recommend that."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2016, 02:50:51 am »

Dio followed Coleman after noticing him examining his weapon, and silently crept over to eavesdrop on the conversation. He couldn't help but--
"Do you mean to say my skills are not up to par? In my homeland I would have to challenge you to a duel for that.

But... I do agree that we need some way of attacking safely. If we could get weapons close without getting shot at, we'd have quite the advantage. What about a remote weapons platform?"

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21